Penalty Shootouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daft idea.

The team that wins the pre game shoot out coukd park the bus and go for the draw.

Then there is the issue Rashford and Sanchez faced the other night….the players taking the penalties would be “cold” as there wasn’t even a game to get attuned to.

Nowt wrong with the shoot out situation as it is now.

Plenty of us on here remember how drawn European ties were decided before penalties.

Tossing a bloomin’ coin :oops:

I suppose their could be merit in a golden goal situation instead of a shootout though. So long as we play extra time.

How about 11 v 11 shootouts without extras. Yeah a team could be down to 10 and would be at a disadvantage.

Don't get sent off then.

No extra time in the league cup is a good thing.
Realistically no one wants to be out til nearly midnight, in the middle of winter watching Everton lethargically scrape a win against Mansfield town.

In major tournaments, Europeans tournaments it’s exciting snd exhilarating extra time. Some of the best games in recent memory (in my opinion) have had extra time drama.

The only change I'd like would be for all the 'in play' players on the pitch at the end of the 120 minutes to draw lots for kicking order. 1-11.

It would stop teams from overthinking it.

Just put the ball down and blam it.

Interesting prospect. Imagine a Pulis, Allardyce or Mourinho managed team knowing they'd go out if they lost the shoot out. They might actually attack! On the other hand, they wouldn't.

From the perspective of club football scotching extra time (in domestic, international and European games) and going straight to penalties might not be a bad thing in an era when players are already in crowded fixture schedules.

Just scrap penalties and play goal the winner after the end of the 120 mins. You won't be able to win if you just park the bus.

If it was a good enough way to finish a game of lunch time football in the playground, then it should be good enough for high level international football

But the nerves are part of the reason I love the sport.
...but is it fair to expose underpaid football players to that same nervous torture?. Many of the lionhearts playing the game do not play it for the money, they play it because of the joy their participation enhances the lives of the fans of the game. Their sociological philanthropy is to be admired and to submit them to any pressure is unfair...none of us, 'normal folk', feel under any day-to-day financial and/or emotional pressures, why should the brave lionhearts of football experience it?

Just scrap penalties and play goal the winner after the end of the 120 mins. You won't be able to win if you just park the bus.

If it was a good enough way to finish a game of lunch time football in the playground, then it should be good enough for high level international football
Penalties is good enough already.

Yes it can be cruel, but it can be cruel conceding a last minute goal, especially if it's down to a mistake, as we have witnessed countless times.

Penalties is perfect as it is. Supposedly simple task, which is stacked in the takers favour, which is why they are awarded to give a team an advantage in normal time, but made difficult due to pressure, which is why there is tension and drama.

Every single professional footballer should be able to put his foot through a ball 12 yards out.

Was at the first game to go to penalties, and even though we won, have hated them ever since. Too many teams just shut up shop in extra time, so make them play until someone has a lead, finish a game by playing football. I would reduce teams to 10 players each after the end of normal time, which creates more space, and lose another player each at half-time. If the match is still tied after 120 minutes, go to golden goal, reducing the teams by one man every 5 minutes. The argument against this is that this doesn't finish it by playing football, as football is an 11-a-side game, but I feel this would give more genuine results than penalties. Would even consider the opposition deciding which player to take off after 105 minute (goalies excluded)

You mean win the penalty shoot out then park the bus. Hardly entertaining.

Remind me- how many globally adopted sports have the Aussies invented?

Also - pen shootouts are for the drama lovers in the world of TV. They don't reflect sport. Should just have a replay, or okay on in sudden death after extra time, or decide the winner on fewest fouls.

How about just run up and kick the ball left right or center... No Fornite inspired dance approach, you look a tit doing it full stop.

fortnite-crazy-dancing-icegif.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.