Player Contracts (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zatara

Player Valuation: £90m
Please take a look here: https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/player-contracts.106096/

This summer we will lose:
Jagielka - End of contract
Baines - End of contract
Browning - End of contract
Zouma - End of loan
Gomes - End of loan
A Williams - already at Stoke until his contract expires

If we look at the players whose contracts expire in summer 2020;

Cuco - Gone to Feyenoord, obligation to buy
Mirallas - Rumoured to go for €7mil
Niasse - Currently on loan
Garbutt - Currently on loan
Tarashaj - Currently on loan
J Williams - Currently on loan
Galloway - With u23s
Stekelenburg - Not trusted
McCarthy - Coming back from injury

I think its fair to say that these players will all be sold / loaned in the summer.

Interestingly that would mean 15 players will be removed from the squad this summer.

The next set of players we can focus on will be those who it appears have no future at the club and are currently on loan elsewhere;

Pennington (2021)
Bolasie (2021)
Sandro (2021)
Besic (2021)
Dowell (2021)
Connolly (2021)
Holgate (2022)

Whether sold/loaned for the 2019/20 season this would reduce our first team squad by 22 players

This would be the remaining squad in the summer:

Goalkeepers (2)
Virginia (2021)
Pickford (2024)

Defenders (5)
Keane (2022)
Coleman (2022)
Kenny (2022)
Mina (2023)
Digne (2023)

Midfielders (6)
Schneiderlin (2021)
Vlasic (2022)
Gana (2022)
Davies (2022)
Baningime (2022)
Sigurdsson (2022)

Wide Forwards (5)
Lookman (2021)
Walcott (2021)
Bernard (2022)
Onyekuru (2022)
Richarlison (2023)

Centre Forwards (2)
Tosun (2022)
Calvert-Lewin (2023)

This means that if we do the expected minimum then our squad will be cut to 20 players without any real changes to the first team.

If we look at this positively then this could allow Marcel Brands quite a lot of leeway to move on new players in the summer window and focus on offloading some current first team players.

This, I feel is crucial to our rebuilding process.

Please take a look here: https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/player-contracts.106096/

This summer we will lose:
Jagielka - End of contract
Baines - End of contract
Browning - End of contract
Zouma - End of loan
Gomes - End of loan
A Williams - already at Stoke until his contract expires

If we look at the players whose contracts expire in summer 2020;

Cuco - Gone to Feyenoord, obligation to buy
Mirallas - Rumoured to go for €7mil
Niasse - Currently on loan
Garbutt - Currently on loan
Tarashaj - Currently on loan
J Williams - Currently on loan
Galloway - With u23s
Stekelenburg - Not trusted
McCarthy - Coming back from injury

I think its fair to say that these players will all be sold / loaned in the summer.

Interestingly that would mean 15 players will be removed from the squad this summer.

The next set of players we can focus on will be those who it appears have no future at the club and are currently on loan elsewhere;

Pennington (2021)
Bolasie (2021)
Sandro (2021)
Besic (2021)
Dowell (2021)
Connolly (2021)
Holgate (2022)

Whether sold/loaned for the 2019/20 season this would reduce our first team squad by 22 players

This would be the remaining squad in the summer:

Goalkeepers (2)
Virginia (2021)
Pickford (2024)

Defenders (5)
Keane (2022)
Coleman (2022)
Kenny (2022)
Mina (2023)
Digne (2023)

Midfielders (6)
Schneiderlin (2021)
Vlasic (2022)
Gana (2022)
Davies (2022)
Baningime (2022)
Sigurdsson (2022)

Wide Forwards (5)
Lookman (2021)
Walcott (2021)
Bernard (2022)
Onyekuru (2022)
Richarlison (2023)

Centre Forwards (2)
Tosun (2022)
Calvert-Lewin (2023)

This means that if we do the expected minimum then our squad will be cut to 20 players without any real changes to the first team.

If we look at this positively then this could allow Marcel Brands quite a lot of leeway to move on new players in the summer window and focus on offloading some current first team players.

This, I feel is crucial to our rebuilding process.

Cardiff and Grasshopper have option to buy.

I should add that for;

Onyekuru - Awaiting work permit
Vlasic - Unknown if he will return
Holgate - Unknown if he will return

Ive placed the 2 foreign loans in the first team squad whilst the local loan as likely to leave.

The reality is 'we dont know'.

I think Brands will dip into the free agent market again.

Lots of wages freed up but barely any money for transfers.

It’s the opposite of what we want to be doing. We have transfer money - we don’t have wages.
I agree the wage bill needs to come down. But if we buy players you still have to pay them wages.

But money can be moved from wages > transfers and back. A £10m contract and a £2m sign bonus for a 4 year deal works out much better than £10m transfer fee and 5m contract.

I agree the wage bill needs to come down. But if we buy players you still have to pay them wages.

But money can be moved from wages > transfers and back. A £10m contract and a £2m sign bonus for a 4 year deal works out much better than £10m transfer fee and 5m contract.

Hmm would disagree. If both those players flopped it’s much harder to shift the higher contract than the lower. This is the issue we’re having trying to get rid of the likes of Sandro and Bolasie.

I think we’ll spend high but with lower contracts in the future.

I think Brands will dip into the free agent market again.

Lots of wages freed up but barely any money for transfers.
It’s the opposite of what we want to be doing. We have transfer money - we don’t have wages.

I think if we take it (as Moshiri said) that we have money for large fees but need to lower the wage bill then its also interesting to look at Klaassen leaving last summer.

We took a big hit on his 'book value' and i think if we are able to sell someone with a low book value for a large fee it can cover offloading one or two players for a big loss.

For example, we could sell Vlasic (£25mil), Onyekuru (£15mil and Gana (£20mil) in the summer which could mitigate losses when selling Sigurdsson, Schneiderlin, Walcott and Tosun.

We will likely only have a squad of 20 players so it will take some careful thought.

I think if we take it (as Moshiri said) that we have money for large fees but need to lower the wage bill then its also interesting to look at Klaassen leaving last summer.

We took a big hit on his 'book value' and i think if we are able to sell someone with a low book value for a large fee it can cover offloading one or two players for a big loss.

For example, we could sell Vlasic (£25mil), Onyekuru (£15mil and Gana (£20mil) in the summer which could mitigate losses when selling Sigurdsson, Schneiderlin, Walcott and Tosun.

We will likely only have a squad of 20 players so it will take some careful thought.

Why sell the only 2 promising youngsters we have on our books?

Status
Not open for further replies.