Players who’ve stood up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richarlison has always worn his heart on his sleeve, never in doubt.
Pickford has been outstanding for 18 months, never in doubt.
Iwobi though!? He was in everybodies ‘get rid asap’ list with people saying they’d accept 5m for him. He was even being ripped apart by Nigerians for how poor he’d performed for them too.
Iwobi is the ultimate redemption story, respect to Holgate and Delph and even dare I say it, Michael Keane for the last month or so though.

Lampard, there’s been about 5 players who remained fit and available for the entire run in, had a horrible run of fixtures, pockets of bad luck which we bounced back from and he hasn’t been afraid to drop players and try things, make changes in the middle of games, it hasn’t always worked but he has the balls for it, I think.

The real job starts now though.

I have been a caustic critic of pretty much all of our playing staff over the last 18 months. There isn't a single player who I would be upset to lose once the price was right (in the case of a handful - the rest can go on Bosmans in my view...).

That said, many of the players roused themselves over the last six weeks. Pickford was magnificent. Richarlison was a ball of energy. Some of the lesser players - Iwobi and Holgate among them - made big contributions. Even the likes of Keane, Delph, and Coleman had their moments. The thing is, "moments" are not enough. "Moments" get you into this situation again next season.

We're all relieved to have survived. It was very bleak for a very long time. But now we must be clear-eyed. The purge must begin once Frank can catch his breath. If the likes of Holgate increased their value to us in recent weeks, wonderful. That should mean a higher transfer fee - but it should not mean a contract extension. We need better, more reliable players if we want a better outcome in 2023. Purge, purge, purge!!!

Desire and all is there, end product and crossing are absolutely dreadful 90% of the time.
100%, I love what Gordon has done this season, but that Watford game for example, we desperately needed end product

That being said Gordon still consistently put in 100% and was winning tackles and putting himselff about defensively

Pickford has always been capable of the brilliant, he's just added consistency in the past 18 months. Might be a bit churlush, but you can of expect those levels of performances from him.
For me it's Iwobi. I remember at the start of the season, the photos on Instagram with the private jet, the Rolls and the Gucci bags had my blood boiling.
Now, I expect him to be the linchpin of next seasons midfield, responsible for moving the ball from front to back.

Pickford. We go down without him. Genuine world class saves that most keepers in this league can't make.

Holgate. I know, I know. But when I think of his standard before Lampard, and his goal Vs Leicester etc - factoring in the mistakes others like Keane, Godfrey and young Branthwaite made - when it mattered in the run in and when we needed him, he was fit, stood up/did well.

Iwobi. Seemed the penny dropped that putting in a shift gets you all the goodwill in the world and fans won't hold a grudge.

Richarlison - big goals and assists.

Pickford. We go down without him. Genuine world class saves that most keepers in this league can't make.

Holgate. I know, I know. But when I think of his standard before Lampard, and his goal Vs Leicester etc - factoring in the mistakes others like Keane, Godfrey and young Branthwaite made - when it mattered in the run in and when we needed him, he was fit, stood up/did well.

Iwobi. Seemed the penny dropped that putting in a shift gets you all the goodwill in the world and fans won't hold a grudge.

Richarlison - big goals and assists.
Holgate has gone under the radar for sure.

Richarlison has always worn his heart on his sleeve, never in doubt.
Pickford has been outstanding for 18 months, never in doubt.
Iwobi though!? He was in everybodies ‘get rid asap’ list with people saying they’d accept 5m for him. He was even being ripped apart by Nigerians for how poor he’d performed for them too.
Iwobi is the ultimate redemption story, respect to Holgate and Delph and even dare I say it, Michael Keane for the last month or so though.
Thought it fitting the keggers started the comeback

Status
Not open for further replies.