6 + 2 Point Deductions

I don't think they were saying that. They were saying they could have delayed the hearing to avoid relegation, and they haven't. The points deduction currently puts them in the relegation zone so some might say it's a fair argument.

But they coudln't have because the timeline was in place by that point.. It was also the view of the IC that was appointed to our charge that it would be too much to expect completion prior to the end of that season.

Peter Macfarlane, Everton fan and contributor to the Blue Room Podcast, has been speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live about the reduction in the club's penalty for breaching Premier League financial rules:

"We're certainly finding ourselves in a better position than we were a couple of hours ago, so that's one massive bonus for us, but I think the overall feeling right now is one of vindication - certainly from the supporters.

"We believed from the outset that the 10-point punishment was extremely harsh, especially given some of the comparative punishments that are listed in the Premier League guidelines with regards to administration, for example, which is nine points.

"We believed from the outset that 10 points was massively harsh. So to get some of those points back feels like, as I say, a massive vindication for the fans and for the club."

Hmm, wouldn't say vindicated like. And not sure that's the best message to spread to the media.

Still feel vindicated you bum?

There's a very simple thing our football club need to do.

Ask for the explicit points breakdown for our first charge like is on the final pages of Nottingham Forests. The calculation will not stack up and be clear to see discrepancy between the two processes. You don't even need to be a lawyer or have expertise.

Break down our 6 points and compare it to the Forest verdict.

I 'like' the fact that their mitigation included 'we didn't expect to get promoted', we thought that we'd finish 12th but only finished 16th (so got less money), 'we didn't sell our player when we could to stay within the rules coz we wanted more'. Brilliant!

There is an element of truth in this. In criminal cases there is often inconsistency in sentencing.

However the criminal courts are dealing with thousands and thousands of cases every day which means that it is impossible to have absolute consistency.

However the PL commission has only given 3 judgements in their history and every one has been wildly different.
They still use sentencing guidelines as a starting point and it's the aggrevating factors that matter. More consistent actually. Appeals do happen though and its a more through system.

This is just............

It didn't matter if they legally had to say anything, that was main factor in the reduced penalty from 10pts to 6pts. Every other mitigating factor was dismissed.

Now the IC for the Forest case has stated that Forest deserved 2pts back for their honesty and cooperation unlike Everton. So they're going against what we got points back for.

So who is lying? Independent panel 1? Independent panel 2?

Bang on, the second commission said our error was unintended to mislead and mistake made in good faith.

Again the threshold were different, the mitigated us down from 10 and Forest from 6.

Each shareholder singed up for these rules and as recently as last summer amendments on due process. Due process has been applied different across these two separate processes.

Ultimately the law of the land supersedes 20 lads and masters making up a rule at a PL meeting, the club needs to have bottle.

I don't think they were saying that. They were saying they could have delayed the hearing to avoid relegation, and they haven't. The points deduction currently puts them in the relegation zone so some might say it's a fair argument.

To me it reads....

"Forest respectfully notes in this regard that Everton appears to have avoided the prospect of relegation during the 2022/23 season by reason of initially denying the Complaint brought against it, and taking various points, including resisting the Premier League's application for expedition, such that the first instance proceedings against it could not be determined until November 2023."

They felt that if the league made a quicker decision, we would've been looking at relegation. Why mention this if it wasn't a mitigated reason to overspend?

"The need for swift decision making to assist the integrity of the Premier League means that clubs that co-operate should be significantly rewarded to incentivise others to do so and deter those who seek to delay or disrupt proceedings brought against them."

As Forest haven't "delayed" their decision and been cooperative (which accuses us of not being) they feel they should be let off a bit.

The idea to even bring that in as part of an argument to get a leaner sentence shouldn't even be used IMO

But seems to have worked.

You genuinely think I'm a kopite because I call out your tinfoil hat conspiracy nonsense of "everyone is against us"?

Fair play mate, reasonable.

No I think you’re a kopite because you get weirdly bent out of shape the second anyone mentions them, you police the Liverpool thread diligently complaining about people mentioning them (even though that’s the purpose of the thread), and whenever they lose you seem inordinately bothered by it.

That’s why I think you’re a kopite. Hate Everton, like Liverpool, only so many ways that looks.