[POLL] Everton Takeover - 5 Years On

Has being bought out even been worth it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nymzee

Player Valuation: £150m
We longed for a financial takeover after years of scrounging down the back of the sofa for transfer funds. In 2016 Moshiri arrived but 5 years on has it really been worth it? Possible new stadium aside I personally preferred the club pre-takeover when we had an identity, were smarter with cash etc.

If we get the stadium as expected, then probably it's been an overall success.

In terms of the football, it's been a bit of a disaster so far and we now have a squad who I truly cannot warm to. They are everything I do not want in an Everton team. But equally, it's probably too early to completely right it off as a failure, because it only takes one good summer and one good season to turn things around and get on track. The problem is that I have zero faith in our inept recruitment team to get it right.

No matter who the manager is, they will struggle while we have a DOF who fundamentally misunderstands English football and what is required. This squad needs to be overhauled once and for all and we need pretty much a fresh start. Does anyone in the club have the resolve and the determination to actually do it?

I will sit on the fence for now I think.

Bill Kenwright staring misty eyed at Walton Hall park has he drives past and drawing a picture of a stadium on the back of a programme for a third failed stadium project (to go along with a failure to even build some shops behind the park end). Hiring northwest based managers who are out of contract and an almost permanent sell to loan transfer policy.

vs.

Moshiri building us a world class waterfront stadium at the first time of asking. Appointing whichever managers he wants, providing transfer funds, and buying up half the waterfront.

This is a tough one.

Having to keep Kenwright and Elstone on board was hugely limiting.

If both of those were gone from day one, and an industry-leading CEO with commercial experience appointed, then at least it would have been a sign to all - internally and externally - that the club was under new management literally and that the comfortable country-club style of management was ending.

We never got that and I think it has caused a situation where Moshiri has been co-opted into the pre-existing management culture - one that offers in-house promotion and that has a distinctly localised focus. There is far too much of a nostalgic air about it.

There are the community elements of the club that we needed to retain and have done so but anything else needed to be ripped out. It hasn't happened.

Bill Kenwright staring misty eyed at Walton Hall park has he drives past and drawing a picture of a stadium on the back of a programme for a third failed stadium project (to go along with a failure to even build some shops behind the park end). Hiring northwest based managers who are out of contract and an almost permanent sell to loan transfer policy.

vs.

Moshiri building us a world class waterfront stadium at the first time of asking. Appointing whichever managers he wants, providing transfer funds, and buying up half the waterfront.

This is a tough one.

Stadium - not yet built.

League finishes since Mosh arrived? 7th, 8th, 8th, 12th, 10th.

"Appointing whichever manager he wants and providing transfer funds" hasn't really evolved us.

Pros:
Stadium
Carlo
Moshiri

Cons:
Over spending on Recruitment
Poor Managerial Appointments (Walsh, Fat Sam etc)
Losing key players (Lukaku, Stones, Rat, Gueye) still.

I think we are a good window away in terms of pushing further ahead so fingers crossed we have targets lined up already

It only becomes worth it if the stadium somehow becomes a reality. And even then I don't want to leave Goodison.

We've gone from being skint and well run to rich and completely dysfunctional with no clear plan from the top.

There's an argument to be made Moshiri still hasn't made a single good DoF or Managerial decision yet. And he's made 7 of them. Since Moshiri got rid of Martinez for reaching two semi finals and finishing 12th we've not been back to that far in the cups since and have only made Europe once (a group stage exit) we've gone backwards since his arrival.

Cant question Moshiri's commitment to the Club, but he's made some very questionable decisions in terms of who he's entrusting his money too. Steve Walsh and Ronald Koeman for example. They were here what 3yrs ago? Yet we're still suffering from their exploits.

Stadium - not yet built.

League finishes since Mosh arrived? 7th, 8th, 8th, 12th, 10th.

"Appointing whichever manager he wants and providing transfer funds" hasn't really evolved us.

The stadium is closer than anything Bill ever did.

The performances on the pitch have been poor no doubt, but before Moshiri Everton in the premier league was a lower bottom half outfit except for a few seasons under David Moyes. We’d be hoping for another wondrous manager to work miracles but as Martinez showed anything less and we’re straight back in trouble.

At least under Moshiri there’s some hope that we could get it right, under Kenwright it was never happening.

The stadium is closer than anything Bill ever did.

The performances on the pitch have been poor no doubt, but before Moshiri Everton in the premier league was a lower bottom half outfit except for a few seasons under David Moyes. We’d be hoping for another wondrous manager to work miracles but as Martinez showed anything less and we’re straight back in trouble.

At least under Moshiri there’s some hope that we could get it right, under Kenwright it was never happening.

Little bit of a lie there...

11th, 11th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 7th, 8th, 5th, 5th, 6th

Last season (12th) was our lowest finish since 2003/04

Status
Not open for further replies.