Positives of Martinez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I recall the only positives of his previous reign were…

1. Having a very good first season with Moyes Team.

2. When he left after creating an absolute turd show of a team.

Except it wasn’t “Moyes Team”, was it.

The star men were Lukaku, Deulefeou and Barry.

Plus Barclay, who was barely used by Moyes but whom was given a starting role by Bobby.

And remember this.

”turd” as the last season was, we were a missed Lukaku penalty away from a Cup Final versus Crystal Palace.

Plus Barclay, who was barely used by Moyes but whom was given a starting role by Bobby.

And remember this.

”turd” as the last season was, we were a missed Lukaku penalty away from a Cup Final versus Crystal Palace.
Barkley has been in the game professionally for nearly 12 years. How can you still be spelling his name wrong?

I would appoint someone on an interim basis who would not require compensation, and who a majority of fans can at least get behind short term, for example, Ferguson, even if just for a month or so. Get back to basics and hopefully, get the team playing with effort and pride. If we can pick up a few decent results it could give us enough breathing room that we can do proper due diligence and not rush into anything. If there is no plan to succeed Brands, let alone Benitez, then the idea of rushing blindly into any appointment is foolish.

If we can get a few results behind us with the new manager bounce and the sudden impact of positivity that has arrived in losing Benitez, then we may find ourselves in a position that we can build on what we have and ride it out for another month, and so on.

Come the summer, we need to appoint a a new DOF, if this the plan going forward, and I would definitely consider Martinez as a possible new candidate for this role. Then with the DOF in place, we go about hiring a good young coach to instill belief and organisation into what will hopefully be a new look and reinvigorated, younger, and hungrier squad. Whether that's Ferguson, Rooney, or the new flavour of the month from Germany or France. And we can start to actually set about making real change from top to bottom.

We have given ourselves a hell of a lot to do though, and it's not going to be easy or universally approved, whatever they choose to do.

It baffles me how Martinez continues to fail but manages to fail upwards to better jobs….. I’m off to buy myself some brown shoes and the tightest pair of keks I can find
Maybe a little harsh? Wigan were relegated yes, but they were never going to stay long term in the PL as their resources were limited. The fact that they won the cup was miraculous, beating City in the final and tearing us apart on the way there.

His first season with us was the best football we have played since 1987, aside from a few brief flashes under Royle with Kanchelskis in the side. We actually ran rings around opponents in 2013/3014.

Yes, it went downhill, not helped by the likes of McCarthy getting injured, but Martinez still signed us the most successful striker we’ve had since Lineker and Sharpe, and a huge profit was made on his sale…which Martinez’s successors blew on utter dross.

If Martinez had been given the financial support of his successors I think we’d be in a much better place than we are now. Instead Blue Bill gave him pocket money so that all we could afford was Niasse. The same level of backing from Kenwright that had us playing under Moyes with the likes of Marcus Bent up front.

And remember this.

You lost me at Barclay

Maybe a little harsh? Wigan were relegated yes, but they were never going to stay long term in the PL as their resources were limited. The fact that they won the cup was miraculous, beating City in the final and tearing us apart on the way there.

His first season with us was the best football we have played since 1987, aside from a few brief flashes under Royle with Kanchelskis in the side. We actually ran rings around opponents in 2013/3014.

Yes, it went downhill, not helped by the likes of McCarthy getting injured, but Martinez still signed us the most successful striker we’ve had since Lineker and Sharpe, and a huge profit was made on his sale…which Martinez’s successors blew on utter dross.

If Martinez had been given the financial support of his successors I think we’d be in a much better place than we are now. Instead Blue Bill gave him pocket money so that all we could afford was Niasse. The same level of backing from Kenwright that had us playing under Moyes with the likes of Marcus Bent up front.
Finished 11th twice with the best squad outside the Top 5/6 cos McCarthy got injured for a few months.

Alright mate.

And remember this.

3-1 up on aggregate at City,until Big Martin Atko intervened too??

He was truly awful at his time with us after the first season and even that seems to have been romanticised a little.

For me he’s very similar to Benitez, stubborn and plays very unattractive football but he just comes across better that Benitez.

There seems to be an unexplainable Myth about Martinez that he plays attractive football! Which is baffling as it was almost as bad as Fat Sam at times but worse defensively.

Bar Lukaku, Barry and McCarthy & First season Geri his signings where terrible.

He also paid £16m for Niasse when we had no money! That’s as bad as £35m for Iwobi imo

don't get all the "was moyes teams" shouts.
lukaku barry mccarthy and barkley were all martinez signings and were probably our 4 best players that season

i know barkley wasnt signed, but martinez utilised him and played him

The Moyes teams shouts pretty much refer to the defence and how would we was until the 2nd season. He added some attacking players.

The Moyes teams shouts pretty much refer to the defence and how would we was until the 2nd season. He added some attacking players.

oh ye, i get that like.

shame he never got that side of management init.

could have been great for us, but he just didnt learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.