Question for us 'older' blues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monk d Wally de honk

Player Valuation: £750k
Having been (and still am) a huge Alan Ball fan, I have a nerdy question for other blues. When did Bally actually start wearing his white hummel boots? I was always of the impression he started wearing them after the Mexico world cup in 1970. I couldn't recall him (at the time) wearing them during the title winning season. As a kid, you notice stuff like that.
But i was sent a photo yesterday, from another GOT member, of Alan Ball, from 1969/70 (alledgedly) which throws theory into major doubt, because Bally had the white boots on. Any definitive evidence would be appreciated.
Yours,
Perry Mason

AE2E5071-2CED-48A4-AE0A-47A59F09231E.jpeg

32FFFB57-3039-42B9-AA4B-2DC74F727A99.jpeg

Last edited:
My mate sent me a picture of what looks like Everton v Spurs from 69-70 alledgedly. Ball and Whittle celebrating a Whittle goal, with Bally in white boots.

Not sure I am correct but I think there is a story connect with that photo.
The boots are painted white not the actual ones he later worn for the next season .
Can't recall were I am getting it from so might be wrong.
He got £2000 from hummel for wearing the white ones in for the next season, 1970 -71 , Ball said they were crap and and got apprentice to paint them .
The paint was supposed to be coming off in the charity shield and Hummel were supposed to get the hump.
Might just be a legend

Last edited:

View attachment 170620

….Charity Shield game at the beginning of 1970/71.

I was at the Sheffield Wednesday game at Hillsborough on Grand National day 1970 & I don’t recall Ball wearing white boots that day or the West Brom match when we clinched the title.
I was at the Chelsea game Saturday before we clinched the title and I dont believe he had his white boots then. A few months into the new season , Ball came back from injury and scored a cracking 25 yarder against Newcastle and I do remember him wearing white boots that day. So that narrows it down a bit.

The boots are painted white not the actual ones he later worn for the next season .
He got £2000 from hummel for wearing the white ones in for the next season, 1970 -71 , Ball said they were crap and and got apprentice to paint them .
The paint was supposed to be coming off in the charity shield and Hummel were supposed to get the hump.
Might just be a legend

I'm sure you are correct mate. They're definitely the black boots that have been painted white in that photo.

Might just be a legend
This story rings a bell.

View attachment 170618

@Joey66 won’t be happy about you posting that picture.
I'm sure you are correct mate. They're definitely the black boots that have been painted white in that photo.
Yes Bally found in that time the white boots were poorly made uncomfortable so he made an apprentice paint a better brand white everything went well - till the wet weather & his sponsor happened to be there & & the white paint polish washed away ....
He never got paid for the deal he had signed to wear those famous white boots ever with the blues .....
As for @COYBL25 the only thing he has in common with Bally is his red hair .......

Status
Not open for further replies.