radio reporting of matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty

Sack Sky and donate to GOT...donations are needed
Having had a very busy weekend I only got to see the match against Sunderland this morning on Sky TV having listened to events being portrayed on Radio Merseyside when the game was played and of course like others with that ability we were all relaying matters to fellow GOT members around the world.

If you read the match thread you’ll find a stream of doom and gloom postings in that first half, all based on what we had been told by Merseyside commentators. Come half time an air of foreboding covered the thread because we had been told that moves had broken down in a few short passes, we had no rhythm, no shape and the impression that we had been second best throughout that half. Shortly after we radio listeners had posted comments the lads who had been watching the game on sop cast and the like came on posting comments like, what is up with you lot, we are playing quite well nothing like what had been posted in the match thread. For that reason I paid particular attention to the match on Sky.

I have to say that the first half was twice as good as Ronnie Goodlass and friends had described it, in fact I would go as far as to say the some of Goodlass’s comments were so far wide of the mark he was only trying to court attention, trying to make out he knew more than he actually did. For Ronnie to gripe about some present players is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black, you were not that good Ronnie although you seem to have forgotten some of your many pathetic performances. I know he has played the game at the highest level both here and in Europe but I assure you he went missing as soon a back tackled him.

Others have been guilty of this same over elaboration, Barry Horne and Kevin Ratcliff jump to mind, Ratters even struggles to pronounce players names,

Do you think that these guys forget that they also had bad games, do they do it for effect in the hope that they’ll get paid for future commentaries because they have been controversial or are they calling it right and I am seeing a different game. It is also possible that the studio director tells them to stir it up a bit if a game is being played out in midfield, I’m not sure other than yesterday was another example of what we heard is not what happened.

I think it is about time proper and accurate reporting took place, it can't be that hard surely

I'd personally let actual normal fans do the radio commentary on Everton TV.

I was a bit confused during yesterdays game.

Due to sopcast problems, I ended up listening to the first 30 mins on 5live and thought we were crap, then the last 15 mins of the half on sopcast and thought we were doing well, then Sopcast went down and I was back with 5live, and thought we sounded under the cosh the entire second half, despite the win.

Would like to see the entire game if anyone has a torrent, just to see how misled I was.

I only got to listen to it on City. By all accounts in the media though including City, it was an immediately forgettable game.

I was a bit confused during yesterdays game.

Due to sopcast problems, I ended up listening to the first 30 mins on 5live and thought we were crap, then the last 15 mins of the half on sopcast and thought we were doing well, then Sopcast went down and I was back with 5live, and thought we sounded under the cosh the entire second half, despite the win.

Would like to see the entire game if anyone has a torrent, just to see how misled I was.

I watched it on Sky and it was totally different, yes we did have some pressure but nothing more than we could handle. The foul on Pienaar has virtually gone unreported and it was a disgrace, certainly as bad as Eduardo's, if it had been a United player, say Ronaldo, it would have made the evening news. We were nothing like as bad as the Merseyside commenary made out I assure you Dude;)

Last edited:

You have already noted this monty, but I was bewildered at the commentry on the match-day thread, as the stream I was watching was a different game than I was reading. Normally I find the radio (EvertonTV radio) to be more positive than it really is!

I don't know who Radio Merseyside's commentator was but i tried to listen to it for twenty minutes or so before i was forced to tune into city. He said during commentary that we were playing utd, middlesbrough, if you can't get the basics right then get to [Poor language removed], and Ronnie Goodlass is just a doom merchant at times.Sure we never set the world alight yesterday but good teams play below par and grind out results like this.

I'll be sticking to City from now on.

I don't know who Radio Merseyside's commentator was but i tried to listen to it for twenty minutes or so before i was forced to tune into city. He said during commentary that we were playing utd, middlesbrough, if you can't get the basics right then get to [Poor language removed], and Ronnie Goodlass is just a doom merchant at times.Sure we never set the world alight yesterday but good teams play below par and grind out results like this.

I'll be sticking to City from now on.

Well, i listened to it on another station but i cant understand people being so negative like Goodlass. Wasnt that long ago that we were all envious of other teams who could grind 3 points out from games

I watched it "live". I thought we looked tired and unimaginative most of the time, with short bursts of quality. At no stage though did I think we were not going to take all 3 points, other than the split-second at the end before Howard's save-of-the-season.

I watched it "live". I thought we looked tired and unimaginative most of the time, with short bursts of quality. At no stage though did I think we were not going to take all 3 points, other than the split-second at the end before Howard's save-of-the-season.

Just look at the match thread first half postings CT based on Goodlass's pronouncements, he was crap mate

I watched the game on Sopcast myself and I thought we played some really nice football throughout. Granted we only got one, scruffy goal but I took heart in the fact that we seemingly pushed and pulled them all over the park without really getting out of second gear.

I saw most the game on sopcast an i was one of the who could'nt understand why people were so down at half time. I posted that it was'nt as bad i people were posting. we had decent spells in the game an looked the more dangerouse through out. Looked like keane was trying to stop us playing throught them than trying to have a go at us. Understandable after the 7-1 thrashing. Anouther score like that could have really hurt them this time of year.

I also thought the pienaar tackle has gone with out to much fuss.....if it was a united player or a r/s the papers would be full of it!!

Anyway when you listen to radion commentry, never take what they say as true. How many times have you watched a game with a mate, an had totally different views of it at the end. The radio is so far off somtimes.

I saw most the game on sopcast an i was one of the who could'nt understand why people were so down at half time. I posted that it was'nt as bad i people were posting. we had decent spells in the game an looked the more dangerouse through out. Looked like keane was trying to stop us playing throught them than trying to have a go at us. Understandable after the 7-1 thrashing. Anouther score like that could have really hurt them this time of year.

I also thought the pienaar tackle has gone with out to much fuss.....if it was a united player or a r/s the papers would be full of it!!

Anyway when you listen to radion commentry, never take what they say as true. How many times have you watched a game with a mate, an had totally different views of it at the end. The radio is so far off somtimes.

It is getting to the point that the radio is only of use when its phone in time and certain parties from across the park are openly committing suicide on air.

I must admit there has been so little coverage of the Pienaar foul that it just serves to endorse what we all think and it could cost his services in a vitally important match, but we're only Everton, Fleet Street bastards (n)

Status
Not open for further replies.