2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's your realistic predictions?
That we take them 'One Game At A Time' and gtf with these lists of fixture and how many point we will...or won't...or might get.
At the start of each game ( 0-0 ) you're 'given' 1pt.
If you take the other Team's initial 1pt off them...known in the trade as, (sorry to get technical) 'A Win'.
You get 1 bonus point.
Total 3.

But, if They take your 1pt off you, called (more tech jargon, soz) a 'Loss'...or in the local dialect...'Everton That'
You get 'Kall, nowt, nothing, zero, 'GerAll.
So, to sum up
One
Game
At
A
'Kin
Time.

Pickford
Coleman
Mina
Keane / Godfrey
Digne
Allan
Doucoure
Townsend
Richarlison
Gray
DCL

That’s our strongest team when everyone is fit

I’d be pretty confident we could give Utd a good game with that team

Only problem is about 3/4 of those players will be missing for us and their replacements are poor in comparison

Good squad, how the partnership of Mina and Keane is the problem for me.

This goes back last season as well

" Everton manager Carlo Ancelotti insists their recent problems have been down to defensive issues and not the absence of Richarlison."

" Everton manager Rafael Benitez is going to prioritise signing a centre-back in January.
Like his predecessor Carlo Ancelotti, Benitez is convinced Everton do not have a natural centre-back pairing.
The Spaniard will target a stopper when the transfer window re-opens in the winter, per Football Insider.
Benitez wants a "world-class" operator in the same vein as Virgil van Dijk and Ruben Dias.
Marcel Brands is already working on possible targets for the Toffees."

Next games

United A------------0
West Ham H---------1
Watford H-----------3
Wolves A -----------1
Spurs H--------------0
City A----------------0
Brentford A----------0

What's your realistic predictions?
After 40 years of supporting this club, one thing I have learned - especially over the last few decades - is never get too down about our poor results or too up about our good ones. We are, inherently, as an upper mid-table club, inconsistent. This season, so far, we have more or less done as we should have done: pretty much beaten the sides we "should" beat. However, last season, we were winning away at places we normally wouldn't and losing at home when we normally wouldn't. So we never found a balance.

Of the next seven games, one would think that the matches against West Ham, Watford, Wolves, and Brentford will be critical. 8 points would be par for the course. The games at United, City, and home to Spurs might yield an expected 2-3 points. If we get 10 points from these next 21, I'd say we were doing ok. That would be 23 points from 13 games, a respectable return. Ancelotti was given the benefit of the doubt because he gave us something we hadn't had since the late 1980s: regular wins against top clubs. However, all of that was ruined by abysmal defeats to the likes of Sheffield United, Burnley, and Fulham. One step forward, one step back.

Benitez, it seems to me, is likely to do the opposite: reliably defeat the poorer sides, especially at home, but probably fail to do too much at our so-called betters. Whether that is down to the relative merits of the managers or whether it is to do with home crowds coming back after COVID, who knows? What it does suggest is we will win far more at home and pick up far fewer points away. The sweet spot for Benitez will be in reliably winning at home and getting a few points/wins against the petroclubs. However, given the lack of investment this summer, that might have to wait.

For now, we need to be getting a little consistency into our performances and results. If Villa can win at Old Trafford, I'd like to see us competing there. By the same token, we can't be expecting to brush the likes of West Ham aside at home - though it is games like that that more accurately point out our progress or lack thereof. What we need to avoid at all costs is a run of 5 defeats or something from this next seven. The more stable he can keep us, the more embedded his project can become and the quicker he can go through this risible squad like a dose of much-needed salts.

Why do you keep coming out with outlandishly wrong and embarrassing statements.

We have already played over 25% of the league so far and dominated them all. Except the last half hour of 1 of them. So already spanked over 20%. And we are only 6 games in.

90% would have put us to bed. Please stop saying stuff.

Haha I can't take any post seriously when you say we have dominated all. Only side we have beaten outside top 6 is Brighton

Pickford
Coleman
Mina
Keane / Godfrey
Digne
Allan
Doucoure
Townsend
Richarlison
Gray
DCL

That’s our strongest team when everyone is fit

I’d be pretty confident we could give Utd a good game with that team

Only problem is about 3/4 of those players will be missing for us and their replacements are poor in comparison
I like that side - I’d like to get the Godfrey Mina partnership up and running. Acknowledging that Godfrey is a little out of form I just think it’s a good mix of pace and aerial ability. We’ll cause trouble for sides with that team. Just need a bit of Lady Luck on the injury front

I think this is the key to why a fair few are holding back their judgment. The dropoff may not happen this year. We live in hope. Think we can all enjoy the winning for now.
I fear we will be just as unlucky with injuries this year, we always seem to lose key players at the worst time possible. It might just be me being a typical, negative Evertonian, but I just know its going to happen again.

I fear we will be just as unlucky with injuries this year, we always seem to lose key players at the worst time possible. It might just be me being a typical, negative Evertonian, but I just know its going to happen again.
I feel this one in my bones!

…I’m just saying he’s a micro-manager. He’ll look to control the lowest level of detail. He’d love a Gerrard who adheres to the team model, is ultra competitive, conscientious & has the quality to win games.
You were just saying that you wanted a player to ignore instruction. You've rightfully rowed back on that now.

After 40 years of supporting this club, one thing I have learned - especially over the last few decades - is never get too down about our poor results or too up about our good ones. We are, inherently, as an upper mid-table club, inconsistent. This season, so far, we have more or less done as we should have done: pretty much beaten the sides we "should" beat. However, last season, we were winning away at places we normally wouldn't and losing at home when we normally wouldn't. So we never found a balance.

Of the next seven games, one would think that the matches against West Ham, Watford, Wolves, and Brentford will be critical. 8 points would be par for the course. The games at United, City, and home to Spurs might yield an expected 2-3 points. If we get 10 points from these next 21, I'd say we were doing ok. That would be 23 points from 13 games, a respectable return. Ancelotti was given the benefit of the doubt because he gave us something we hadn't had since the late 1980s: regular wins against top clubs. However, all of that was ruined by abysmal defeats to the likes of Sheffield United, Burnley, and Fulham. One step forward, one step back.

Benitez, it seems to me, is likely to do the opposite: reliably defeat the poorer sides, especially at home, but probably fail to do too much at our so-called betters. Whether that is down to the relative merits of the managers or whether it is to do with home crowds coming back after COVID, who knows? What it does suggest is we will win far more at home and pick up far fewer points away. The sweet spot for Benitez will be in reliably winning at home and getting a few points/wins against the petroclubs. However, given the lack of investment this summer, that might have to wait.

For now, we need to be getting a little consistency into our performances and results. If Villa can win at Old Trafford, I'd like to see us competing there. By the same token, we can't be expecting to brush the likes of West Ham aside at home - though it is games like that that more accurately point out our progress or lack thereof. What we need to avoid at all costs is a run of 5 defeats or something from this next seven. The more stable he can keep us, the more embedded his project can become and the quicker he can go through this risible squad like a dose of much-needed salts.
Agree with all of that. Additionally, the order of fixtures and the form of your opponent can have a bearing.

With this squad, I'd never expect a result at Old Trafford, even a point. It's made harder still with our injuries and their losing streak which you have to think will inevitably end playing us. What's the likelihood of them losing two successive home league games? I immediately thought after their loss yesterday that it was bad for us.

It sounds defeatist and it is, but we have to get out of this sort of game as close to being as relatively unscathed as we can. I always worry that the possibility of a real drubbing is there, which then has a knock-on effect in subsequent games where we might expect to take something.

We have a clear mental fragility and underlying soft belly in adversity. We have seen that time and time again under a succession of managers. A big part of Benitez task is to confront that and I think he is half way there with an emphasis on organisation, discipline, and fitness. We need a lot more luck with injuries though.

There is a big difference, in my opinion, between the energy that RB has brought to the team and the pipe and slippers approach of Ancelotti after Christmas.

Mind you I smoke the pipe (since 1984) and I do wear slippers - then again I am not managing Everton, and I will be retiring in under three weeks!! :pint2: :D
Congrats and here's to a long happy retirement with Everton adding to the enjoyment!

Yeah, have to agree our approach is much more intense, pace and energy, its better to watch.

Let's hope it continues.

Good squad, how the partnership of Mina and Keane is the problem for me.

This goes back last season as well

" Everton manager Carlo Ancelotti insists their recent problems have been down to defensive issues and not the absence of Richarlison."

" Everton manager Rafael Benitez is going to prioritise signing a centre-back in January.
Like his predecessor Carlo Ancelotti, Benitez is convinced Everton do not have a natural centre-back pairing.
The Spaniard will target a stopper when the transfer window re-opens in the winter, per Football Insider.
Benitez wants a "world-class" operator in the same vein as Virgil van Dijk and Ruben Dias.
Marcel Brands is already working on possible targets for the Toffees."

Signing a right back, should be our priority and has been for two seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.