Remember When?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eponymous

Player Valuation: £25k
Piggy-backing off several threads regarding Moyes, I distinctly remember how many of us were frustrated with Moyes after the poor start to the 2005-2006 season. We had fought our way to a 4th place finish the year before, only to see us go out against Villareal in Champion's League (no thanks to Colina) and implode against Steau Bucharest in the UEFA Cup. Plus, Everton were struggling in the bottom half of the Premiership at the start of the new year.

Moyes eventually turned things around, but I wonder whether Moyes wouldn't have been sacked if things hadn't improved the rest of the season. Mind you, I supported Moyes through that difficult period, but I sometimes wondered whether maybe Moyes wasn't up to the task.

Thoughts?

good post, and i know i was one of the ones critical of DM at the time.

looking back, it seems he just needed some time, we were competing in a competition which now seems to have been clearly a step above what we were ready for, especially with martyn's injury worries and all that.

he seems to have everything sorted out now, we obviously didn't lose too much money for that one shitty season, as we came back with some good signings that once again made us top level competitors.

its interesting you bring this up though, a manager going through a bad spell like that elsewhere may very well have been sacked, which just goes to show how hasty some of the decisions that football management make are.

at that point where we were slipping down the table, i don't really think there was all that much Moyes could do, he beat relegation by a large enough margin for comfort and he set us up for success the next season. i don't see any other manager doing much better, hell i'm sure many would have been prone to splash out all our cash in january and buy up people to improve our current league position, which may have resulted in us moving up one or two spots that season, but we wouldn't have made the strategically timed buys that Moyes made later on, and accordingly wouldn't be anywhere near as good as we are today.

this is just my opinion of course

I never really wasn't in the get rid of Moyes camp. After all the hard work the players put in on 04-05, the shock of losing to Villareal (with the help of the best referee in the world) and then crashing out of the UEFA would affect any team, and perhaps relegate a team that never really had much talent. However at no point during that season did Moyes lose the team. You never heard at Everton what you hear at say from the locker rooms of the barcodes or Bolton under Sammy Lee when things are going bad.

Like many originals on here he has always had my support because you could see he had a vision. So many jumped on his back forgetting the dark days when Walter ruled the show, signing nobodies and going nowhere, Moyes has not been perfect but he has had a good stab at it considering the funding level available here to other clubs.

There again you can never please some, if we had a poor run in the Moyes out brigade who soon reemerge, remember his howler against Tottenham, they are still there ready to pounce.

I was also behind the man that gave us a fourth placed finish for the first time since the 80's

Never had a doubt at the man's management ability.

What some foregt Zero is that we can all make mistakes, yes even Bruce. With Moyes he has the happy knack of learning from those mistakes and moving on, the guy is doing OK and deserves a trophy himself for bring our club back to life

I agree with you monty, I feel that is probably the only thing thats missing from his tenure so far as Everton manager.

The club is moving in the right direction but until we land some silverware I doubt we'll be taken seriously at all by the media.

I agree with you monty, I feel that is probably the only thing thats missing from his tenure so far as Everton manager.

The club is moving in the right direction but until we land some silverware I doubt we'll be taken seriously at all by the media.

You know me mate, as always the media can do one, and normally do(y)

You know me mate, as always the media can do one, and normally do(y)

Yep, part of me thinks though if the media clock onto us being a good side then maybe instead of referees giving us the short shaft they have been doing they'll be a bit more lenient towards us.

The premier league already make it hard on us to compete with the top 4 financially. If the media would give us more coverage then it could open alot of eyes to the shocking decisions that go against us. Referees may actually start calling fair games for a change.

Yep, part of me thinks though if the media clock onto us being a good side then maybe instead of referees giving us the short shaft they have been doing they'll be a bit more lenient towards us.

The premier league already make it hard on us to compete with the top 4 financially, if the media would give us more coverage then it could open alot of eyes to the shocking decisions that go against us. Referees may actually start calling fair games for a change.

Yes, couldn't agree more but I honestly suspect that the referees are running a vendetta against us or the boss because I have never seen so many poor decisions given week in and week out. I'm also certain that if Mascherano had worn a blue shirt he'd have been off against Boro. Do you recall Arteta's tap on Fabregas, straight red because of the phoney histrionics displayed by Fabregas, Aladiere should have done the same thing

I can honestly say, hand on heart that i've never doubted DM for a second.The dead wood he had to ship out was incredible,Ginola, Gazza etc.Our youth policy was a [Poor language removed] joke, there was no future and we were treading water.But now, even though he's prone to the odd tactical error or misplaced substitutions,he now learns from his errors.

We have a manager who is taking the whole structure of the club forward. Were we once were weak and fragile, we are now strengthening and brimming with hope and expectation. Football fans of a certain age group are fickle,and understandibly so, they want success and they want it now, but those of us who have witnessed the glory days can see real evidence of those days returning, maybe not in respects of trophies but a club more than capable of competing.And if the younger fans get to witness something similar to what we did in the 80's then i'd be more than happy for them.

Because of David Moyes and his staff we are now a stable club, maybe not as financially stable and pro active as we'd wish just yet, but the signs are very promising. I personally want to thank DM for saving us from oblivion and restoring my pride in Everton F.C, let the good times roll !

Like many originals on here he has always had my support because you could see he had a vision. So many jumped on his back forgetting the dark days when Walter ruled the show, signing nobodies and going nowhere, Moyes has not been perfect but he has had a good stab at it considering the funding level available here to other clubs.

There again you can never please some, if we had a poor run in the Moyes out brigade who soon reemerge, remember his howler against Tottenham, they are still there ready to pounce.

Dead on target Monty. (y)

Like others, I'm proud to say I never doubted Moyes.

But more importantly, all credit to BK, who unlike many other owners / chairmen, never for one second allowed any doubt about DM's position to be even hinted at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back