RIP Wally Fielding

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/legend-passes-away.html

It was with great regret that Everton learned last night of the passing of one of our finest ever players.
Wally Fielding died peacefully in Cornwall on Friday at the age of 88 after a lengthy struggle with illness.
Wally (born Alfred Walter Fielding) was born in London and signed professional terms with Everton in 1945.
He was a splendid ball-player with a great engine and he played over 400 games for The Toffees.
He was always regarded as being more of a supplier than a taker of goals but he always weighed in with his fair share.
Surprisingly for a player of his undoubted ability he was never capped for England but did play for the national team against Scotland in an unofficial match for the Bolton Disaster Fund in 1946.
In his later years he was supported by the Everton Former Players Foundation and trustee Rev. Harry Ross paid this tribute.
"Wally was a wonderful man and it was our privilege to help him through the last few years of his life. The Foundation paid for all his meals and health care and I know that he was always extremely grateful for everything we did for him. Everyone who has ever attended one of our events or contributed in any way should be proud that they helped such a great man and a great Evertonian. I will miss Wally...we all will."

Did anyone else notice we didnt wear blackarm bands today? Maybe it was my eyes or because of the blackstrip but im sure this is something that will be rectified at home on Weds!(y)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back