Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
West Brom are going to try and nick a goal on the counter then sit 10 men behind the ball.

What we really struggled against last season. Let's hope Martinez's fresh approach can unlock this, though with possible 3 out of our starting back 4 out I am slightly worried

The signs were there against reading that we were going to struggle again as well sadly. Both goal from set plays that a prem keeper would have saved.

The signs were there against reading that we were going to struggle again as well sadly. Both goal from set plays that a prem keeper would have saved.
Whilst we never should have left that transfer window without a lock picking type of player, I think movement is better this season from players in the final third and that could be a difference between this and last season. Cleverley in particular is a dynamic presence that worries well set defences, and he cant get back in there quickly enough for us. Also Deulofeu is a creative force we didn't have last season and that outlet will be key to commit organised defences to panic a bit and shift out of their comfort zones. Added to Barkley's increasing confidence in the last third and the general level of fitness and proper preparation time we have for each game being out of Europe, I dont think we'll see a replica season to the last one. Although every effort should be made in January to get a playmaker in.

He has earned breathing space to get on with it. Win the next game and we will have had a very good start to the season. I'm a great believer in "direction of travel", the team is improving, the squad is improving and getting some youth in.
Moving forward=good
Going back= bad.

We are moving forward.

Whilst we never should have left that transfer window without a lock picking type of player, I think movement is better this season from players in the final third and that could be a difference between this and last season. Cleverley in particular is a dynamic presence that worries well set defences, and he cant get back in there quickly enough for us. Also Deulofeu is a creative force we didn't have last season and that outlet will be key to commit organised defences to panic a bit and shift out of their comfort zones. A
dded to Barkley's increasing confidence in the last third and the general level of fitness and proper preparation time we have for each game being out of Europe, I dont think we'll see a replica season to the last one. Although every effort should be made in January to get a playmaker in.

IF
If he stays
If he matures
plus a few other ifs

Delboy could 6,7,8 years down the track be that lock picker

Whilst we never should have left that transfer window without a lock picking type of player, I think movement is better this season from players in the final third and that could be a difference between this and last season. Cleverley in particular is a dynamic presence that worries well set defences, and he cant get back in there quickly enough for us. Also Deulofeu is a creative force we didn't have last season and that outlet will be key to commit organised defences to panic a bit and shift out of their comfort zones. Added to Barkley's increasing confidence in the last third and the general level of fitness and proper preparation time we have for each game being out of Europe, I dont think we'll see a replica season to the last one. Although every effort should be made in January to get a playmaker in.

there's no chance in hell we'll do as bad as last season - but that's not what i want from us this season. i want us to be up there around 4th place. we've done fine in this tough start vs teams that are willing to take the game to us. there are not many other teams that will actually do it that we have left though.

West Brom is important because apart from Watford all the teams we've played (maybe Swansea excepted) have come out and played against us and that allows us to play a tight compact unit that counters quickly and exploits the centre with a 'winger-less' formation. we know what we're going to get with a Pulis side. Big set pieces to Macauley, Rondon/Berahino running the channels, Olsson/Evans/Fletcher being snides in the centre. It will be a battle

I dont think he can step inside and play that role.

Oh well then,
there we are then,
that's that then,
deader than a dodo then, davek has pronounced.
The oracle at Delphi's quaking in it's boots at the very prospect of the imminent P45
Mystic meg's off to smash the crystal ball as we speak
and where ever Nostradamus is buried he's stopped turning in his grave to doff his cap
*runs off to google a stone mason who will carve it on a couple of blocks of best Aberdeen granite

don't sit on the fence mate, commit yourself.

never mind the 4 'ifs' and a 'could' that qualified my opinion. not to mention the implied 'may' and the 6, 7, 8 year time gap

there's no chance in hell we'll do as bad as last season - but that's not what i want from us this season. i want us to be up there around 4th place. we've done fine in this tough start vs teams that are willing to take the game to us. there are not many other teams that will actually do it that we have left though.
Cant see 4th, tbh. Top 6 and a run to a cup final would be very acceptable though.

Don't think that Martinez ever envisioned the playmaker he was after doing it from centrally anyway Dave, think he always wanted a wide player who drifted in - hence the linked targets
Yeah, I agree. He had Gomez at Swansea/Wigan drifting in from wide and in between lines for that and I think he envisioned Eto'o could do that here last season.

I just dont think Deulofeu has that in his game. To me he likes the outside berth and cuts inside only to get shots off. He can set people up from out wide but I think he prefers going by opponents rather than laying it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back