Rodwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lescott has already said hes happy, so has Arteta in the past, infact most of our players have said they dont want to move and they all love it at Everton.

Clearly the papers look at how poor we are and think we would take buttons, thankfully thats not the case.
I don't think we will sell any of our important players.

Like it or not City will soon be a more high-profile club than us. Unless Kenwright sells up.

Fair point about team-spirit, obviously that would have to be put into consideration.

I understand what you're saying, but I just think that although Arteta is a different class player, he'd also be easier to replace. Yes, paradoxical, but my point stems from the idea that Cahill brings something much more to the team than just his footballing ability and his crucial goals. I don't know what it is, we just seem to play better with him. Whereas Arteta, I think we would be able to replace him with a classy young central midfielder in the same mould, like Moutinho. I've also been impressed with the way we've managed without him. I thought we were ****ed when he got injured but we kept on playing.

I guess we'll have to see really. For me Cahill has always been so important for the simple reason that for so long we where dogshit in anything but a 4-5-1. With centre midfielders like Carsley, Neville and Osman and Gravesen that was expected, lets be honest.

I remember watching us after Cahill got injured in 06/07 and the introduction of Manuel Fernandes. We saw glimpses of what we could do then in a 4-4-2 which contained a midfielder who was potentially an all rounder. Obviously Manny's injuries problems and consistency always made it difficult for us to do it week in week out.

Now we have Arteta, a player who has been a breath of fresh air in the middle. Defending, attacking, controlling our play and most of all keeping our shape. His a disciplined [Poor language removed], maybe a bit too disciplined for his own good at times. He can do a bit of everything and with the right partner (potentially Rodwell maybe) we could play in any formation and Cahill absence wouldn’t hurt us anywhere near as much.

I also think there will come a time when Moyes should be looking to get rid of this withdrawn striker/target man and go for something and provides a lot more control. Maybe a 4-3-3 like Barcelona. Three midfielders who face the play and pass and move, that’s the way forward in my opinion, the way to truly dominate and control a game.

I don't think Rodwell would have coped any better than the players who did play, and I think he probably would have been worse.

Moyes is building a squad here to break into the top 4 so why would he sell his best players? We need to keep our best players and add to them. You can't just have a best 11. You have to have competition to get a place in the first 11.

Name one position, with everyone fit, where we have a serious contender to get in to our starting 11?

Howard - none
Hibbert - maybe jacobsen
Jagielka - none
Lescott - none
Baines - none
Osman - at the moment, only Gosling, not exactly huge competition (at the moment)
Neville - none
Arteta - none (Closest thing to Nev and Arteta is Rodwell, but he wouldn't get in over either of them if they where fit)
Pienaar - none
Yakubu - a fully fit Saha - so basically none.

All im saying is, people who claim they wouldn't accept £40m for Arteta are turning down the opportunity to find a great replacement at £10-15m, and then have about £25-30m to spend on strengthening the squad, are talking pure rubbish.

EDIT: so to answer your question, he would sell our best players to improve the squad, and that position.

Don't believe me? Look at the Rooney transfer. Weakened the position he played for sure, yet look at how it has benefited us in the long run.

Now selling Arteta doesn't sound so stupid does it?

Last edited:
Name one position, with everyone fit, where we have a serious contender to get in to our starting 11?

Howard - none
Hibbert - maybe jacobsen
Jagielka - none
Lescott - none
Baines - none
Osman - at the moment, only Gosling, not exactly huge competition (at the moment)
Neville - none
Arteta - none (Closest thing to Nev and Arteta is Rodwell, but he wouldn't get in over either of them if they where fit)
Pienaar - none

All im saying is, people who claim they wouldn't accept £40m for Arteta are turning down the opportunity to find a great replacement at £10-15m, and then have about £25-30m to spend on strengthening the squad, are talking pure rubbish.

EDIT: so to answer your question, he would sell our best players to improve the squad, and that position.

Don't believe me? Look at the Rooney transfer. Weakened the position he played for sure, yet look at how it has benefited us in the long run.

Now selling Arteta doesn't sound so stupid does it?

My point was that we have to keep Arteta so we can add to the squad thus giving Arteta more competition in his position.

My point was that we have to keep Arteta so we can add to the squad thus giving Arteta more competition in his position.

And what money do you want to strengthen the squad to provide worthy competition for not only Arteta, but everyone in our squad?

And what money do you want to strengthen the squad to provide worthy competition for not only Arteta, but everyone in our squad?

Well Moyes found Arteta for 2.5 million so he could find another bargain who has potential to take over his role in the future. We will have some money to spend but not that much. However, selling Arteta would be a backward step and would lower team morale.

Well Moyes found Arteta for 2.5 million so he could find another bargain who has potential to take over his role in the future. We will have some money to spend but not that much. However, selling Arteta would be a backward step and would lower team morale.

I think you mean - we hope Moyes is able to find some more £3m gems, otherwise we are going to have another disappointing summer.

I think you mean - we hope Moyes is able to find some more £3m gems, otherwise we are going to have another disappointing summer.

Yep that is unfortunately the case as Everton is not for sale. Imagine what Moyes could do with a transfer budget of 30-40 million.

We cannot sell our best players and hope Moyes pulls another cat out the bag every time, you're going by false economy, keeping our star players and continuing our progress could see us qualify for the Cl and you know the financial rewards that come from that.

Howard - none
Hibbert - maybe jacobsen
Jagielka - none
Lescott - none
JoBo says hello
Baines - none
Neville - none
hey Marou hows it popping?
Pienaar - none

Now selling Arteta doesn't sound so stupid does it? Yes, yes it does, why sell a proven star player in his prime for a younger player that's not quite as good yet for 5m profit?

We cannot sell our best players and hope Moyes pulls another cat out the bag every time, you're going by false economy, keeping our star players and continuing our progress could see us qualify for the Cl and you know the financial rewards that come from that.

Let's be honest for a minute. Take off our blue tinted specs and get real.

We are never getting near the top 4 teams in this country with our current squad. Ever. We may get closer to Arsenal, but if they run out of money, which I think they are, they will have someone investing in them before us any day of the week. Fact.

Until the day comes that we get investors, we wont be in the top 4. Until the day comes that we get a new stadium, we wont get investors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back