Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, regardless of how he has played thus far, my point is still correct IMO.
Not really, despite him having scored 15 in la liga last season he was essentially an unknown quantity to all of us. Had we paid 35m for him it would have been even more shocking.

You can see why none of the top sides were in for him anyway.

A good point made by Miscreant Man in the Betfair forum about all 9 signings being Koeman's - you can tell by the way he prioritises them. The likes of Cuckoo would be nowhere near the squad let alone the 1st 11 ahead of Kenny if he wasn't a Koeman purchase.

The further insistence on shoehorning every central midfielder purchased into the side no matter what is another sign. Therefore he should carry the can, much more than Walsh, Kenwright or Moshiri.

People make me laugh when they say we didn't get a centre forward.

We got one who got 15 goals in La Liga last season.

What they actually mean when they say that is, he didn't cost enough money to satisfy their requirements. If there was no clause and we didn't get him so cheap, this really would not be an issue.
Or if he, you know, scored or something.

A good point made by Miscreant Man in the Betfair forum about all 9 signings being Koeman's - you can tell by the way he prioritises them. The likes of Cuckoo would be nowhere near the squad let alone the 1st 11 ahead of Kenny if he wasn't a Koeman purchase.

The further insistence on shoehorning every central midfielder purchased into the side no matter what is another sign. Therefore he should carry the can, much more than Walsh, Kenwright or Moshiri.

indeed he should carry the can, i think walsh is getting far too much blame in regards to signings

however we have to give him some time to work out whats going to happen with these signings

Lets see how it pans out over the next few months mate. Perhaps I'm wrong, it just strikes me as something more sinister than him being an idiot.

Would you have said Martinez was bullying say Shane Duffy by selling him and playing Antolin Alcaraz instead?

I just see that as poor management/a bad decision rather than bullying.

The problem with this is if Koeman really is just a coach, his job must be under considerably more scrutiny than most people are suggesting, because at the moment we don't look like we're being coached at all.

If he gets a chunk of credit for bringing in Pickford, Keane, Gana etc then he's earning his keep, if we're saying he doesn't then it's extremely difficult to see exactly what we're paying him for. Rather than improve any of the players that were already here through his coaching, he's effectively just asked someone to go out and replace them all with supposedly better players. Then he's put them all out on the pitch with instructions which currently appear to be something along the lines of 'go and have a run lads, if the ball comes near you, kick it'.

I find it hard to pin the blame for transfer failings on Koeman since his role isn't to be involved in transfers

Having said that, he should be judged on what happens on the pitch. Last season there was some dross, some good stuff and we ended up finishing 7th, which was probably just about the minimum acceptable outcome by common consensus.

This season has started Ok as far as results go, but clearly the results and performances of the last two games are unacceptable

He gets a pass for failings which are not within his remit. He doesn't get a pass for what happens on the pitch - accepting that our lack of a striker is going to make things difficult until January at least.

Not really, despite him having scored 15 in la liga last season he was essentially an unknown quantity to all of us. Had we paid 35m for him it would have been even more shocking.

You can see why none of the top sides were in for him anyway.

Yes, that's right, lets write him off already, what could possibly go wrong with that? o_O

Was Athletico Madrid not mentioned for him mate? pretty certain they were.

I find it hard to pin the blame for transfer failings on Koeman since his role isn't to be involved in transfers

Having said that, he should be judged on what happens on the pitch. Last season there was some dross, some good stuff and we ended up finishing 7th, which was probably just about the minimum acceptable outcome by common consensus.

This season has started Ok as far as results go, but clearly the results and performances of the last two games are unacceptable

He gets a pass for failings which are not within his remit. He doesn't get a pass for what happens on the pitch - accepting that our lack of a striker is going to make things difficult until January at least.
I've said it before but how on earth can anyone come to the conclusion that Koeman isn't involved in transfers?

Surely nobody thinks Steve Walsh brought in Martina and Stekelenburg? So if we assume that they were brought in by Koeman, on what basis do we assume that none of the others were? It literally makes no sense.

Disaster

Untried , would like to see him alongside a more experience manager

Never in a 100 m years would Pochettino come to us , he's destined for bigger and better things. ( Real ,United when Jose messes up , or a real long long shot Barca ) he's that good

God forbid and all harm

He will retire or move upstairs when he resigns as manager of Arsenal
If he couldn't win a title in 20 years with the money and players he had at Arsenal then he'd never do it here
The world and his dog knew he needed a GK commanding CH a dominant CM and a CF ( the latter not as important as the first 3 ) but he kept buying midfielders

He has won three or four titles in the past twenty years....plus God knows how many Cups :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back