Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the article, my take on it is Warnock isn't criticising Ross entirely, but pointing out that Hodgson isn't the kind of manager to play attacking over defensive football. Ross clearly being more attacking minded. Therefore he fears the worst for the inclusion of him in the final England starting eleven.

In Ross's favour, he does appear to be playing more simple short passes in last two games - maybe to prove he can do that job too.

See how he fares against decent opposition in the next friendlies. I'm sure he won't try too many risky tricks/flicks etc.

has anybody else been getting a little bit too excited about ross recently and become a little bit obsessed? ive found myself watching youtube videos of him constantly etc... calm down la

The way I see it, its a negative outlook on the game, kind of like saying 'lets set up to not have the ball'. Now this may be ok for smaller teams with no creative or good players on the ball, but that attitude is now in the mindset of the National team set up.

I think if you are going to get to the top, the grafters need to have a good standard of ability football wise, they are dead weight when in possession otherwise, the thing that annoys me is that seems to be an acceptable pay off for most, where as if it's the other way round and flair players are occasionally dead weight while not in possession, it's a crime of the highest order, and any mistake they make highlighted to the point where these players are afraid to play, English football is littered throughout history with top class talent that were never allowed to breathe, if we had been winning trophies the grafters would have an argument, but they are simply happy to compete safely, rather than understanding at the highest level of sport preparation and safety only gets you so far, ever now and again you have to take a leap of faith
It's like the tone of tyldsley? I think he was the commentator voice when Ross lost the ball
It was like stop the game and get him off the pitch
Yet 2mins before the Ox gave a simple pass straight to the opposition and nothing is said

You get ex players tweeting when he looses the ball colymore on talk sport before the game saying Ali will be a better long term player as Ross will always be inconsistent
He maybe right time will tell
And I don't want to see Ali get tarnished with the Barkley brush
But he lost the ball in a dangerous spot late in the the game and the commentators said nothing
No tweets about if he does that against Germany or Spain
Sadly Ross and us as Everton fans will have to keep listening to this crap off the media and other fans
This has all come from Roy having a go in that pre World Cup friendly

Yet a bet barkleys passing stats for England are as good as intone over the last 18months even Wiltshire's and better than most of the others

The commentator off 5 live think it maybe John Murray?
Picked his team for the Euro's
Didn't have Ross, had Henderson Milner & Wiltshire I think?
And stones at right back wtf
Does he even watch Everton
And this guy gets paid for this

The way I see it, its a negative outlook on the game, kind of like saying 'lets set up to not have the ball'. Now this may be ok for smaller teams with no creative or good players on the ball, but that attitude is now in the mindset of the National team set up.
people make out that as a country we dont create players with flair etc, fact is were just too scared to play them.

All the comments criticising Barkley from pundits, ex players etc and Hodgson (in a game about a year ago, the camera caught him throwing a massive head wobble when Ross lost the ball) is the reason we have no chance of winning the Euro’s. Hodgson will play safe, predictable football and safe predictable players and the result will again be predictable

Who do you mean? I'm trying to think of flair players who were unfairly overlooked for England but I'm struggling.

Scholes was put on the left wing....and only when he retired, and Pirlo & Xavi were passing teams of the park, did the nation relise how good he was.

Joe Cole was not used enough in the middle.

Warnock played for 8 naff clubs, he then managed 14 naff clubs, his wiki page mostly consists of people he has had a feud with. How anyone could possibly take anything this journeyman says without laughing is beyond me......
Find it hard to dislike Warnock personally, he has always supported Jags to the hilt even when Phil has gone through a bad patch and love that kind of loyalty to a former player, liked it when Martinez did the same for Cleverley as well.

Man United were only successful with 2 centre-mids who were less inclined to defend (although Carrick isn't bad at it) because they spent the majority of the game in possession and scoring goals. Defensive midfielders automatically become unimportant the minute you have the ball in essence.

And why did they spend the majority of the game in possession? Because they had two midfielders who could keep the ball, play others into space and dictate space and tempo. You then get your forwards and wide players picking the ball up on the run against a defence that has been turned. When you pass slowly and sideways you get isolated forward players closer to their own goal picking up the ball at walking pace facing the wrong way being pressured by a team that has now got 11 behind the ball.

Ferguson didn't bother with fancy formations or playing between the lines or anything like that. He would put in place a top keeper and a top back 4, he'd then put out two out and out fast wingers and two top class strikers. The key to it all though was that he always had midfielders with great passing ranges, Keane, Scholes, Carrick, even Veron, even Gibson. Sure there'd be the odd time a 3 man Chelsea midfield might crush them, but in most games the rest of the prem was too poor to deal with a quick transition to world class forwards (as seen by Liverpool's title attempt). It got found out against the best in Europe but it is king in the prem.

We do it at times, the WBA game being the most obvious. 45 mins of slow passing barely moved WBA's defence at all. Gibson came on and suddenly you have Deulofeu one on one with the full back in full flight, feeding Lukaku who was also ahead of his markers. Mirallas Lukaku Deulofeu would be too good for the majority of defences to deal with if we transitioned quicker to them. We'd have beaten Liverpool, and we'd be near the top of the league because the defence is playing well as are individual players in attack. Go for broke, put Gibson and Barkley in the middle and watch how we'd just smash teams.

All the comments criticising Barkley from pundits, ex players etc and Hodgson (in a game about a year ago, the camera caught him throwing a massive head wobble when Ross lost the ball) is the reason we have no chance of winning the Euro’s. Hodgson will play safe, predictable football and safe predictable players and the result will again be predictable
Fully agree that Roy is a limited man and we have no chance of going far in the Euros. However, it sort of has to be this way when you consider the appalling shambles of Fabio Capello and the national side. That con man parked a gigantic, steaming turd on our green and pleasant land; there was nothing to be done but futilely polish it for a few years until a new side can emerge. Roy has actually done a good job in this respect, IMHO, blooding a few youngsters and letting Ross take charge for a game or two. In an ideal world Roy would now be fired with the nation's thanks and someone good appointed. That won't happen, but it should happen after the Euros at which time the team has a chance of being pretty good.

Scholes was put on the left wing....and only when he retired, and Pirlo & Xavi were passing teams of the park, did the nation relise how good he was.

Joe Cole was not used enough in the middle.
Cole is a prime example, Joe cole is the type of player who certain foreign teams would have loved, not saying he was a world beater but that type of player is one that they understand the importance of. With england its often been 4-4-2, workhorses in midfield and two fast lads on the wing etc, its like our managers over the years have just come out of sunday league ffs. Scholes on the left when it should've been him gerrard and lampard in a 3 does my head in to this day. i got hammered for it the other day on here but they could've been one of the best midfields in the world no question in my mind on that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back