Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably our best player yesterday. Good to see him looking decisive when going forward and what a finish. Hope he can build on that as he's got a ridiculous amount of potential. Fingers crossed he has the season he's capable of.

That's the biggest difference between going and watching on TV for me. TV is great for close-ups and replays etc, but the camera obviously follows the ball and therefore the play. At the game you can watch the shape and formation of the team so much better than you ever can on telly.
Going to the game gives (in my opinion) a much more comprehensive and balanced view of an individual players performances.

Obviously there is still some subjectivity to it as people have different opinions (and some are just entrenched in their view), but you see more.

For me, Barkley yesterday and okay to goodish performance, slightly increased by his well taken goal. Nothing specular and still with concerns.

If you watch on TV then you see his goal (great as mentioned) and his shot in the first half, showing his ability to switch between feet.

What it doesn't show however is his inability or unwillingness to put a tackle in, and his tendency to sometimes let the play pass him idly.

Neither does it show his mazy runs which more often than not end up with us losing the ball, as he fails to distribute the ball or take a shot.

They were aspects that I noticed yesterday that were evident in many of his performances last season.

I'm not criticising Ross here if that's how it may appear as he was influential in the game with his goal, yet he's still far off being a top player.

Technically he has the attributes however I've said all along that he lacks mental attributes like composure, guile and tenacity.

They can be developed but they're much harder to coach than tactical attributes. If he can enhance them then arguably he can flourish this season.

Personally, people who mention him as a MOTM contender are being slightly over zealous. That's just my humble opinion though.

For me Galloway and Jagielka were more consistent and influential throughout the game bar Ross scoring the necessary goal.

Going to the game gives (in my opinion) a much more comprehensive and balanced view of an individual players performances.

Obviously there is still some subjectivity to it as people have different opinions (and some are just entrenched in their view), but you see more.

For me, Barkley yesterday and okay to goodish performance, slightly increased by his well taken goal. Nothing specular and still with concerns.

If you watch on TV then you see his goal (great as mentioned) and his shot in the first half, showing his ability to switch between feet.

What it doesn't show however is his inability or unwillingness to put a tackle in, and his tendency to sometimes let the play pass him idly.

Neither does it show his mazy runs which more often than not end up with us losing the ball, as he fails to distribute the ball or take a shot.

They were aspects that I noticed yesterday that were evident in many of his performances last season.

I'm not criticising Ross here if that's how it may appear as he was influential in the game with his goal, yet he's still far off being a top player.

Technically he has the attributes however I've said all along that he lacks mental attributes like composure, guile and tenacity.

They can be developed but they're much harder to coach than tactical attributes. If he can enhance them then arguably he can flourish this season.

Personally, people who mention him as a MOTM contender are being slightly over zealous. That's just my humble opinion though.

For me Galloway and Jagielka were more consistent and influential throughout the game bar Ross scoring the necessary goal.
Galloway or jagielka? Mate we conceded two goals, one with 2 centre backs watching the ball drop in our area. Maybe I'm from the hard coached era but no coach of mine would ever give motm to a defence that conceded so easily. Barkley did his job, got the team moving forward and he got his goal. For me he was one of our better if not the best performer yesterday.

Edit, in fact didn't Jags just let the ball hit him for their first goal? Then him and stones went flying around for the second made to look like amateurs sliding around.

I really hate the vast majority of our fans, hope he sacks us off and plays CM at a top club and makes you all look like the bunch of unbelievable blerts you are, while utter wasters like hibbert get a 5 year extension
Whilst I understand the sentiment, I would much rather he stayed here and made them look like fools and the rest of us can enjoy it when he is boss.

He wasn't Man of the match at all. Hes typical english player and is unaware of whats around him and turns into trouble or doesn't turn when he should.
The problem was no one around him their were times today we had no players in the box when attacking as Lukarku was trying to help out in the most inept midfield in the Prem!

I reckon he'll improve if he gets a bit of encouragement, some players respond to boos and some are destroyed by them.

I reckon he's the latter. Needs a bit of TLC as it were.

Very much a confidence player, you can visibly see if his head's gone down or if he's riding high.
That midfield yesterday was the most inept midfield, RM has set up for some time, with RB the only attacking option Cleverly was switched around positional wise he was dizzy. McCarthy is nothing but a work horse whos passing was dross , and Barry sits so deep he is playing as a third centre back- I have seen Ball Harvey and Kendal - Reid Bracewell , and Sheedy, The dogs of war with two fast wingers but to say Ross Barkley's on his own yesterday is no exaggeration, i.e. no one far forwards enough to pass too!
they had three efforts and scored two , and we did the same!
RM mindset is all wrong THREE defensive mid fielders at home v a team newly promoted?????

At the end of the day Barkley is playing number 10 and is meant to be next big thing yet hardly ever creates chances nevermind set up a goal.

Apart from the goal I thought Ross was awful. He needs to be more direct and confident. Drops far too deep looking for the ball and seems to just play a free roll at times.

At the end of the day Barkley is playing number 10 and is meant to be next big thing yet hardly ever creates chances nevermind set up a goal.

No, the problem is no one ever puts the chances he creates in the net

Just yesterday he could have easily had two assists but the chances weren't taken

saw him create chances last season as well but again no one putting them in the back of the net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back