Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comparing him to Silva is perhaps a bit unfair but then it does point out that Ross is a totally different kind of player. We need a Silva in the #10 role, it's vital in today's game. Mata would be perfect as he was an assist machine before he was shunted out wide.

Ross either has to make it as a centre mid or he won't make it at all I'm afraid. I keep trying to back the lad but after 4 seasons he hasn't shown that creativity in that role that we require to kick on and be top 4, or even 6 if we're honest.

Really think he could succeed Barry and play alongside someone like a Gueye but he needs to work a lot on his defensive game.
Or he needs to play in a possession team that mostly just needs to snuff out the counter when defending.

Put him in midfield and play on the front foot and he would shine.

I think the club are doing their bit by keeping him out of spotlight. There is some underlying reason we dont know about. Hopefully the club and himself will get through it and he will become the player we all know he can be.

We can debate about his progress and pressing etc but, today there were so many opportunities to break but it just seemed to get hoofed a bit to clear the ball. Ross is good, on the break, at the taking the ball and moving it forward which we didn't do well today. Got a good point though and not complaining.
Got shot down yesterday for suggesting this game could have suited Ross as he'd get more space and, the way they set up, there would be loads of opportunities for breakaways. Turns out there was but nobody with the composure or ability to take advantage.

I'd still probably have played 3 defensive midfielders but found slot for Ross in the front 3. Think he could have excelled

How many times have tha people round that table seen him play
Everyone so quick to criticise.

Yet other players seem to have free pass no matter how bad they play
He hasn't been as bad as people are making out, its frustrating how he is single out for performing badly when the team as a whole has generally performed badly. He desperately does need to start putting in big performances when he gets back into the team. Hope he starts against burnley and we go with two holders, two wide, Ross in behind rom and go there to stuff them.

I can't even bring myself to watch it as i know it will make me fume
It's not so much what they're saying. Lot of truth in it actually and they're not really slating him as such. It's more the fact that they're highlighting an issue that we can do without. Leave the lad to get himself right in his own time I say.

Other young players have been through bad patches and nothing said. Dele Alli was awful in the euros and since for England, and is only just getting his form back for Spurs, but absolutely nothing is said about it. Whereas this is about the third big article that I'm aware of, on Ross in national TV & press in the last week or so. Even Koeman has lost his temper at press conferences because he's fed up answering question on him.

In fairness, most of the articles are quite supportive and you can almost see them willing him to get back on track; probably because they see him as the future saviour of the national team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back