Royston Drenthe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hs wild mate, i think thats just his temprament - hes a bit of a honey badger, with that comes the fearlessness we all enjoy and prob the lack of discpline that irks Davey. I dont think he will ever learn the dsicipline Mikel did to be able to play in the positions he did, but his discipline and roundedness of game can be developed by some margin to improve the balance of his game - i would liken him to Pienaar in his development in that reagrd. He will always be a direct in your face player - but his quality and technical ability is superb there is always an end product - unlike Pienaar. Hes a game changer no mistake - hes a player we've been crying out for for beards for me, he is potentialy one of the top 5 wingers in the league. A great testament of his talent has been that from his first game, he looked a PL player, a top one at that, none of this adjustment sniz.

Another interesting comparison is with the Zog who we would happily have creamed 10 mill for in the summer, even Billy who we did who has taken three seasons and still hasnt adjusted to the PL.

He is all that you say he is but i'm just keeping my fingers crossed that we sign him before fapping all over the show.

What are the terms of the loan? My presumption is there is no buyout at the end of the loan in May. Is that correct?

He's a free agent in the summer -- meaning as a foreign club are involved we can get him on a pre-contract agreement in January.

Easily his worst game for us today...

But, he was played on the left for the whole of his game.

I thought it was obvious by this point that his best position is on the right, as he can cut in? And when Osman is being played there instead of him -- RM being Ossie's weakest position -- it really beggars belief.

I thought it was obvious by this point that his best position is on the right, as he can cut in? And when Osman is being played there instead of him -- RM being Ossie's weakest position -- it really beggars belief.

Aye, he didn't link up with Baines, together they looked confused. He put in a couple of decent crosses and could've won us a penalty, but he did lose the ball quite a few times and looked a bit lost. The last game where Osman was a playmaker of sorts caused all sortsa neat play from Osman, Drenthe and even Saha. Drenthe needs to be played on the right. I don't mind mixing it up a few times during the game, but mostly on the right as having him on the same wing with Baines ends up both of them being half the player they are.

I don't think you can complain about him playing on the left and he was on the right for parts of the game anyway. Was more him not having much to work with in front of him and some silly decisions on what to do when.

He was fuming when he came off. He'd just fecked up stepovers for like the 4th time in the game. I'd be very surprised if he stays tbh. Moyes is wary of him.

I erm... I didn't think he was that bad. He linked up well with Baines a few times. There were far worse performers. Saha was anonymous, Cahill did literally nothing other than the shot in the first half, Neville... FFS Neville, even typing his name makes me want to punch a wall.

Baines was the standout, Distin was decent too - everyone else was mediocre at best.

It wasnt his best...but its like I said at the start of the match, we'd try to give him the ball and tell him to create. But once he's cut out, we've no plan B.

That's what happened.

BUT...out of anyone in the squad, he's the only one that could come up with something special. And he was subbed while Saha, Cahill and Neville stayed on the pitch...

Laughable.

I don't think you can complain about him playing on the left and he was on the right for parts of the game anyway. Was more him not having much to work with in front of him and some silly decisions on what to do when.

When he drifted though mate it wasn't like he swapped flanks. He drifted, and because he had to that leaves us a bit exposed and just isn't preferable.

He did definitely balls up a lot of decisions, but as you also said he had nothing to aim for. Our support (getting sick of saying this) was non-existent.

I erm... I didn't think he was that bad. He linked up well with Baines a few times. There were far worse performers. Saha was anonymous, Cahill did literally nothing other than the shot in the first half, Neville... FFS Neville, even typing his name makes me want to punch a wall.

Baines was the standout, Distin was decent too - everyone else was mediocre at best.

It wasnt his best...but its like I said at the start of the match, we'd try to give him the ball and tell him to create. But once he's cut out, we've no plan B.

That's what happened.

BUT...out of anyone in the squad, he's the only one that could come up with something special. And he was subbed while Saha, Cahill and Neville stayed on the pitch...

Laughable.

This was more of criticism of Moyes lids (I'm sure Damo will say I'm on a "witch hunt") rather than Drenthe. He made some mistakes and didn't have a great game, but I was just trying to highlight that Moyes has in my opinion inhibited our best creative force this game by playing him in a crap position and as Browns highlighted, offering him no support with his other selections. In addition, he shunted Ossie out wide so amazingly managed to make it as hard as possible for our two best players of late to have a good game.

When he drifted though mate it wasn't like he swapped flanks. He drifted, and because he had to that leaves us a bit exposed and just isn't preferable.

He did definitely balls up a lot of decisions, but as you also said he had nothing to aim for. Our support (getting sick of saying this) was non-existent.

He switched to the right after we conceded and it didn't really do anything. It doesn't matter what side you're on if you have Neville and Heitinga as your options inside and no one in the box to bounce the ball off. As kenblue says, you end up having to beat the whole defence on your own and Roy's not that good unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back