Salary Cap / Luxury Tax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Throwing more big money around is not what we need to be doing for crying out loud sake.
We’re seeing effects right now of throwing big money in fees and wages.
And any naming rights money will go towards the stadium project.

The problem is Andy, we are not actually going to get better unless we spend some serious money.

We are 5th. Since Brands came in we are 11th. Once you exclude those 1st two years, we have actually been outspent by most of the league.
But consistently spending more than we earn is a recipe for disaster in the long term.
Interestingly the limitations placed on clubs by the much derided FFP rules have ensured that many clubs have survived the pandemic who would have struggled otherwise.
Another problem for the authorities is that their ability to enforce regulations can be challenged before the courts.
Currently the rightly vilified Superleague is nevertheless winning its arguments before the European courts which may have repercussions for our sport in the immediate future.
It most certainly has not gone away.

So this mismanagement of transfers is sound and we can now straddle the club with even more debt because we don’t fall foul of rules

The club has no debt all our losses have been pretty much taken on by the owners - if they wish to keep doing that then sound thats what we wanted for years during the barren Kenwright years whilst Mansour and Abramovich were throwing money around.

Obviously we need to recruit better but there is no correlation between spending big and spending bad other than Everton of recent years - other clubs can and have done it fine.

The current system simply allows clubs like Man Utd who actually are saddled with debt to spend £73 million on Sancho and pay Ronaldo £480k a week whilst we can't spend more than £1.5 million.

Give me this new system that will at least allow us to compete even if it still benefits the ESL clubs.

Throwing more big money around is not what we need to be doing for crying out loud sake.
We’re seeing effects right now of throwing big money in fees and wages.
And any naming rights money will go towards the stadium project.
Actually throwing money at better quality additions for the U23s makes perfect sense.

So long as we have the correct coaches in place to continue their development, I'd wager we would get a better return from 10 x 5m players than 2 x 25m ones.

The club needs to stop with short term fixes, have a strategy and stick to it for the next 5 years. Right now we don't have a strategy, we have ideas that change with the wind.

I think its been mentioned in this thread but as well as the salary cap, a Transfer Cap is long overdue. Surely this would be of benefit to most clubs, especially bearing in mind current "covid" related income stream losses?

Agents fees are ridiculous too, is there currently any legislation governing those, genuine question?

*edit: Interesting thread though.

Cap salary at 30k a year for the privilege of playing a hobby, charge a fiver at the gate and have 1 match a week chosen from the 3pm kickoff to show on TV and we might just get an interesting sport back.
Fine ideas. . . . but we all know that ain't gonna happen.
Football is still a fantastic sport (at grass roots level) Professional football is no longer a sport any more than synchronised swimming is.
Unfortunately, people of my generation became besotted with a particular club.
Everton is part of my life and I could never give up watching or indeed having my mood dictated by our results.
I say unfortunately because if I wasn't so deeply emotionally invested in the club I'm sure I would get more enjoyment watching none league.
I doubt that I'm alone in that TBH.

It shouldn’t be based on individual clubs revenue. As it just solidifies the status quo.

The Club’s total wage to turnover ratio has increased from 85% in 2018/19 to 89% in 2019/20.

We'll even more stuffed on a salary cap. Imagine the cap was 70%!

Be much better if it was a luxury tax, but then again the big clubs wouldn't agree to a luxury tax as the up-and-coming teams with wealthy owners would have no problem taking a luxury tax hit.

I think its been mentioned in this thread but as well as the salary cap, a Transfer Cap is long overdue. Surely this would be of benefit to most clubs, especially bearing in mind current "covid" related income stream losses?

Agents fees are ridiculous too, is there currently any legislation governing those, genuine question?

*edit: Interesting thread though.
Any agent or "parent" fees should be the responsibility of the player. In baseball the agent gets you a contract and he takes X% of that contract as his fee. There should be no "Haaland wants 500k a week and I want 50m for him" BS that is everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.