• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Scottish football is dying

Status
Not open for further replies.

teppic

Player Valuation: £50m
We all know about Rangers and Celtic but that's not what I mean.

I was just amazed when I saw the attendances of the games in the SPL in midweek.

Check these out..

Dundee United 1-2 St. Mirren 5,548
Kilmarnock 3-0 Hamilton 4,214
Motherwell 4-0 St Johnstone 3,361
Aberdeen 1-2 Inverness CT 5,917

What the hell is going on up there? That league is dead on its feet.

I've said this for a while, why don't the russians/sheiks buy a scottish club? they will enivtiably join the EPL, and the money to be made is there.

Three words: Buckfast Tonic Wine.

Binge_drinking_1363279c.jpg

Half a bottle of that and a few fried Mars Bars and you cant be arsed watching Barcelona never mind Cowdenbeath.

who would pay to watch that dross?

The standard is poor, but I'd imagine most of us would still watch Everton if we were relegated and were dire most weeks.

I mean they are big names in football. Aberdeen, Dundee United and Motherwell. The people just seem to have given up on the game up there.

The standard is poor, but I'd imagine most of us would still watch Everton if we were relegated and were dire most weeks.

I mean they are big names in football. Aberdeen, Dundee United and Motherwell. The people just seem to have given up on the game up there.

I think the low standard is the main reason. How it got to be so low is another story .... but i think all of these are important.
1 - Most good scottish players play in england. ( to show are standards have dropped Kris Boyd was top scorer and arguably Rangers best player - where did he go? Boro - premier league clubs weren't interested.)
2 - continued unrivalled domination of the glasgow clubs - at least here we have had clubs challenging the sky 4, more euro places to play, and most teams capable of causing an upset on their day.
3 - rubbish national team. Pathetic performances from them will only have lessened interest.
4 - economics. lets face it most people are broke. I don't know how much it costs to go to an SPL game but i bet it's not too different to here. Yes many of us would pay to watch everton play in the championship but that would still be in a competitive league. would we still pay to watch us play 4 matches we know we would lose and another 20 we will play aginst substandard opposition?

Also keep in mind Scotland is not a big country, so would you rather go watch St. Johnstone play with 5k others or become a Rangers or Celtic fan? I've talked with people from Scotland and they talk of people lining up to get on buses to go watch the Old Firm instead of supporting their hometown club.

It's a country with 1/3 the population of London metro. The better question might be how they survived this long.

Three words: Buckfast Tonic Wine.

Binge_drinking_1363279c.jpg

Half a bottle of that and a few fried Mars Bars and you cant be arsed watching Barcelona never mind Cowdenbeath.

Very sad state up there Dave if that is even half true, never mind the football.

With gates like that it is indeed a slow death no wonder there was talk of Rangers and Celtic playing in the PL. Wonder what Salmond would say to that.

Last edited:
There's only ever them that say that, nobody down here wants them here, they should have to start where fc united and Wimbledon started.
Don't Celtic hate us all though ?

It's gone really [Poor language removed] to be honest, someone pointed out all the best players play down in England, they do but mostly in the Championship it's got that dire.

There's just no money in the game up there and that's what the modern game is about, the money.

Buckfast could be a factor too like.

I was fortunate enough to see the hallowed turf of Dumbarton FCs ground today.

I'd add the pic but I can't be arsed.

The romance of Scottish 2nd division football.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back