2021/22 Seamus Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I can understand why Costa would make that decision, he gets an EU passport which makes him more attractive to European teams and he stands a good chance of winning something with Spain.....ditto Jorginho with Italy.
However players like I dunno Cascarino who are really not very good and would never be picked for England choose Ireland because of some distant family connection just to play international football. Its not right in my opinion.
There is a similar situation in cricket . England's wonderful one day Capt Morgan choose to play for England rather than Ireland simply because he had more chance of winning something. Even worse he'd already played for Ireland. There are numerous examples with the likes of Peterson etc. As with Cascarino it was a pragmatic decision. Totally wrong IMO.
Sometimes that's true but sometimes the emigrated family hold on tightly to their roots. Arguably the best Irish traditional musicians are ex Pats and best Irish dancers also. Sometimes the link runs through the family strongly even if born elsewhere. I don't think it is a black/white situation, plenty of grey areas in a person's decision. Besides, I wouldn't regard a grandmother as a distant family connection. That's pretty close tbf

The white people of the UK and Ireland are so interbred over the centuries that you could probably identify with whoever you like.
That's why the cut off point is Grandparents(I think). Otherwise we could play for any European team. Go back far enough and most of the Prem could be playing the AFCON next Jan lol

He should know his body and realise it's not reliable enough to play for both us and them. His career was nearly destroyed by an injury on international duty, and he's had many niggles due to playing every week for us and then jetting off to represent Ireland - ALL picked up in Ireland games, not our games.

We are the ones who have made him a multi millionaire, he should take a step back now and understand that his time is up and he can't have both ways, show some loyalty to the club that has given him everything.

Obviously it's also disgraceful from the club not to have a good backup to him, but he should have called it a day for Ireland many years ago, I'd say after his broken leg.
For services rendered! Give me an example of Coleman not fulfilling his contract with the club. There is no doubt the discussion about his ability to continue to do both has come up between both he and the club and it was no doubt agreed he can. He got injured, it happens. He should have decent back up and that is on the club, not him.

Big loss for the club, been crucial to our strategy in the games so far. Hopefully he can recover ASAP and isn't out so long that it will take time to get him back to match fitness.

Status
Not open for further replies.