2021/22 Seamus Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Broken record Zat. You have maintained some irrational hatred for Seamus for years.

I just hope it is not some manifestation of xenophobia or sectarianism for your own sake, as it is a deeply toxic trait for the xenophobe, not for the target.

Against West Ham he was the only one who finally had a go at them, after ages of sitting off by the whole team.

Yesterday, he was still the best of a crap group of defenders. To compare him with Rondon is frankly childish and irrational.

Sorry if this offends.

*sees post about a crap player*

First things that come to mind...

Xenophobia

Sectarianism

Toxicity

Childishness

Irrationality

Ahhh...its because he's from Ireland is it?

Wait.

Can I still call non-English players crap?

Or does it only offend you when theyre Irish?

I think I know the answer to that one.

So this poster can accuse me of all these things because I said Coleman has been absolute Rondon this season -- which until 12 hours ago, he had been.

Tbh I will just ignore the idiots from now on. They are clearly motivated by a darker agenda.

Séamus is a beacon of what Everton FC and it's fans should be about. There seems to be still a whiff of Houlding in this small minority. They would be more at home on RAWK

Now they can accuse blues of being "idiots" and "at home on RAWK"

Cheers Joey. As another one who has followed this Club for decades and remembers passionate players you will recognize that Séamus is one of the greatest Evertonians.

He ranks right up with my other heroes, Farrell, Ball, Labone amongst others.

Pure passion for the RBJ.

Would I have come back from a double leg break? Very doubtful.

"One of the greatest Evertonians"

...who has decided to show up mentally and physically for one game this season.

Comparing to Ball and Labone?!?!?!?!

I repeat, he has come back from an horrific double leg break to fight his way onto the team and back on the pitch.

Other Bambis spend their time in the treatment room for minor muscular strains and the rest of the time in luxury car showrooms or ridiculous boutiques.

This man bleeds Everton. He is also one of the most decent people I have ever met.

Now we get to the bottom of it...

Quite frightening.

End of the game, first man he went to to congratulate them for their efforts was Iwobi. Alex Iwobi has been slated endlessly for being tosh, and today he had his best day in a blue shirt. Seamus was chest slapping him and giving him the credit he deserved for giving his all. Confidence we will gain as we improve, but when your captain is supporting you like this, it will do no end of good. Well in Seamus lad. You'll do for me!

So this poster can accuse me of all these things because I said Coleman has been absolute Rondon this season -- which until 12 hours ago, he had been.

Quite frightening.
Zat exposed. Good poster generally but you need to see the light and love Seamus.

Quite frightening.

Zat has had me on ignore for nearly a decade now so he won't see this.

He hates Coleman. Or rather has since around he turned 30.

Zat, behave lad.

Tremendous performance yesterday aside he’s finished, we know that, but to accuse him of not showing up mentally is very unfair.

One of the most committed players I’ve ever seen in a blue shirt, no doubt about it.
There's a huge difference to not being committed and your body just no longer being able to do the things you want, the leg break took a lot off him and age took a lot of the rest, great game by him yesterday and was a joy to see, but think the decline is evident and yesterday's performance is the blip rather than what we can expect now.

Hopefully Patterson can get up to speed and fitness and start seeing some minutes over the last few months of the season

Zat exposed. Good poster generally but you need to see the light and love Seamus.

Zat, behave lad.

Tremendous performance yesterday aside he’s finished, we know that, but to accuse him of not showing up mentally is very unfair.

One of the most committed players I’ve ever seen in a blue shirt, no doubt about it.

There's a huge difference to not being committed and your body just no longer being able to do the things you want, the leg break took a lot off him and age took a lot of the rest, great game by him yesterday and was a joy to see, but think the decline is evident and yesterday's performance is the blip rather than what we can expect now.

Hopefully Patterson can get up to speed and fitness and start seeing some minutes over the last few months of the season

Looking at this season...

What is the difference between Coleman, Gomes and Iwobi?

All have been dire all sesson and then turned up for one game.

Coleman has started more games and argued with team mates when it was his poor play and also argued with fans.

If his decline is due a leg break...or being unable to play games in quick succession then how:

1: Was he able to suddenly play Brentford, Newcastle, Leeds in a row with his best being the 3rd game?

2: Has he not performed to this level for many years?

The fact is that he showed he could perform to a high standard and so he was able to do this for the past 5+ seasons where he hasnt been at the races.

Im not going to 'celebrate' a captain putting in a top performance for the first time in half a decade.

Where have those performances been?

If his decline is due a leg break...or being unable to play games in quick succession then how:

1: Was he able to suddenly play Brentford, Newcastle, Leeds in a row with his best being the 3rd game?

2: Has he not performed to this level for many years?

The fact is that he showed he could perform to a high standard and so he was able to do this for the past 5+ seasons where he hasnt been at the races.

Im not going to 'celebrate' a captain putting in a top performance for the first time in half a decade.

Where have those performances been?

Because it happens sometimes.

While Seamus Coleman is obviously a professional, anyone who’s played even Sunday league will tell you that some weeks you have a bad game, some you play well. To do with your opponent, your teammates, the crowd, confidence levels etc. and sometimes you don’t even know why.

Those performances have been missing because he’s older now and can’t perform as consistently as he used to. It’s that simple. There’s games where Cristiano Ronaldo this season has done nothing, and games where he’s still looked one of the world’s two best players. Because again… old.

To accuse Coleman of being able to do it every week and choosing not to is ridiculous.

Im Irish and absolutely love Seamus Coleman as a player for us down the years. I was right down in front of it at the Aviva when he had that horrific injury and was gutted for him

I completely agree that I dont think any complete slating of him or any abuse has been deserved.

And i dont think a player being out of form and/or struggling as they get older is something to hold against them personally.

However if he is as passionate about the club as he has shown today, I still just dont get some of the performances from him and even average seasons from him when things were not great all these years since Martinez first season. Theres been moments where you couldnt see anything out on the pitch and you looked to the captain and there was just nothing there to be honest. I can remember particularly when things went to crap under Martinez and Silva and I wanted to see him urging us on when behind and hurrying us up to get forward but he was just another quiet ineffective non presence on the field. I remember he used to wind me up taking ages to get the ball and take throw ins when we were behind and needed to get back. The opposite of the stuff we saw today. I still have a bit of a grudge against the players who went to crap under Martinez and Seamus is no exception. I just saw an utter lack of responsibility on the field regardless of the competence of the manager.

There could be other behind the scenes reasons for this stuff, but i wouldnt accept that he always has given 100% and has always been a great captain as from what ive seen thats not the case in a fair few periods over the last 10yrs (yes i know he wasnt captain all that time). We have been utterly woeful and devoid of any spirit regularly under his captaincy.

Having said that, the thought of him lifting the FA Cup does make me smile, and today was fantastic from him

….I think the influence of a captain goes largely unnoticed by people watching or outside the day to day running of a football club. Fans seem to think you need the type who rolls up their sleeves and shouts at teammates, but arguably the two most successful captains in our history (Ratcliffe & Labone) were nothing like that.

I notice how every Manager appears to seek Coleman’s counsel, I notice how players say how supportive he is and you will know the esteem he is held in the Irish squad. I’ve never doubted he’s a real leader. We should all be thankful for Seamus Coleman, he’s a great representative of our club and all that is good in this game.

….I think the influence of a captain goes largely unnoticed by people watching or outside the day to day running of a football club. Fans seem to think you need the type who rolls up their sleeves and shouts at teammates, but arguably the two most successful captains in our history (Ratcliffe & Labone) were nothing like that.

I notice how every Manager appears to seek Coleman’s counsel, I notice how players say how supportive he is and you will know the esteem he is held in the Irish squad. I’ve never doubted he’s a real leader. We should all be thankful for Seamus Coleman, he’s a great representative of our club and all that is good in this game.

Totally agree.
His best years are behind him but he’s still capable of performances like yesterday. It’s a pity he’s on the decline but if he can have some consistency between now and the end of the season the team will be all the better for it.

He’s an easy scapegoat now but doesn’t duck or shirk responsibility.

He’s been a great servant to the club and was one of the best right backs in the league for many seasons.

Because it happens sometimes.

While Seamus Coleman is obviously a professional, anyone who’s played even Sunday league will tell you that some weeks you have a bad game, some you play well. To do with your opponent, your teammates, the crowd, confidence levels etc. and sometimes you don’t even know why.

Those performances have been missing because he’s older now and can’t perform as consistently as he used to. It’s that simple. There’s games where Cristiano Ronaldo this season has done nothing, and games where he’s still looked one of the world’s two best players. Because again… old.

To accuse Coleman of being able to do it every week and choosing not to is ridiculous.

I didnt say that Im "accusing Coleman of being able to do it every week and choosing not to".

I'm asking why this player is being fawned over on here after 1 exceptional performance when hes not had a good performance all season?

Im stating that its similar to Gomes and Iwobi...great one game and poor for the next 10-20.

The 'excuses' I stated which were being made for him simply dont ring true.

As a captain he should be showing this level more frequently over the past half decade.

Can you think of 3 other games he reached this level in the past 5 years?

I certainly cant. Its not physical so it must be a mentality situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.