2024/25 Sean Dyche

Dyche’s handling of the RB position was simply battling at the weekend. We have a young right back in Roman Dixon who has been 1 of the few bright lights in the preseason but he doesn’t pick him in the squad. So on Friday before the Brighton game, Dixon played for the under 23’s - he made one goal and scored another apparently. But Dyche decides to pick Ashley Young at RB – fair enough if he thinks he’s a better defender but we all know how prone he is to getting booked and sent off because he makes poor late challenges when he is beaten by an opposing winger – he does that because he’s too old and knackered. And on Saturday he was up against Mitoma who is an excellent, clever and fast right winger. Knowing that you would think Dyche would have thought about who should be the replacement RB if Young was sent off, injured or just playing crap (which he was). But at the game the lack of decision by Dyche as to who would play RB back once Young was sent off was truly astonishing. We had McNeil, then Keane, even one point I think Harrison was there. But then Holgate was brought on! Has there ever been such poor management? I can’t think of an instance. How he has the gall to pick up whatever proportion of his £5 million income he earned over the weekend after that diabolical performance as a manager I don’t know. And what does he say afterwards? He blames it on the ref and says we didn't get what we deserved. You couldn't make it up.

Given the context that on balance we were the better team until the mistake for the 2nd goal. And we harshly had a pen overturned.

Young going off right after we went 2-0 down killed the game. Couldn't really say it was harsh after that but defo harsh up until Young went off
Yeah, fair enough.

I just feel like their three goals were entirely merited, and we didn't do enough to score. I also don't think it was a pen.

Dyche’s handling of the RB position was simply battling at the weekend. We have a young right back in Roman Dixon who has been 1 of the few bright lights in the preseason but he doesn’t pick him in the squad. So on Friday before the Brighton game, Dixon played for the under 23’s - he made one goal and scored another apparently. But Dyche decides to pick Ashley Young at RB – fair enough if he thinks he’s a better defender but we all know how prone he is to getting booked and sent off because he makes poor late challenges when he is beaten by an opposing winger – he does that because he’s too old and knackered. And on Saturday he was up against Mitoma who is an excellent, clever and fast right winger. Knowing that you would think Dyche would have thought about who should be the replacement RB if Young was sent off, injured or just playing crap (which he was). But at the game the lack of decision by Dyche as to who would play RB back once Young was sent off was truly astonishing. We had McNeil, then Keane, even one point I think Harrison was there. But then Holgate was brought on! Has there ever been such poor management? I can’t think of an instance. How he has the gall to pick up whatever proportion of his £5 million income he earned over the weekend after that diabolical performance as a manager I don’t know. And what does he say afterwards? He blames it on the ref and says we didn't get what we deserved. You couldn't make it up.

I question re-signing Young mate, but I think the calls for Dixon to be thrown in are a bit fanciful. The lad has never played a second of senior professional football. Maybe he will turn out ok, but the only reason he got any minutes in preseason was because of all the injuries we had.

I'm generally against the idea of people suggesting kids should just get thrown in over seasoned professionals (very seasoned in Young's case). The manager sees these kids in training, we don't, it's generally a theme of "play xyz kid" all the time and its magic beans stuff usually.

I agree the club haven't managed the right back position well, but Dixon would be behind Coleman, Patterson, Young and Garner if any of them were fit.

I'd focus more on Young and (to a lesser extent) Coleman being retained and our inability to prioritise a new one and moving on Patterson (if he's no longer seen as being able to own the position).

I've been there, I know. You can have all the experience you like, but there comes a time when your brain starts to write cheques your legs can't cash.
You start trying to compensate - but you over compensate.
You either get too close and get turned or you hang back because you'll get skinned, you think need those extra yards...
and you still get skinned, if the winger has the space to push it behind you and because you're not up his backside...in the football sense...he doesn't even have to come off you to receive the ball. etc, etc etc.

Dixon is a full back and can supposedly, put a bit of a tackle in. He presumably knows the basics...the ball can get past you, or the man can get past you - But Not BOTH!
And allegedly - lightening fast, which is not the end of the world in a defender when faced with a trick fast winger.

Dixon may not be CAFU 2.O but he's got to have a better chance than Young & Holgate at catching / keeping up with, maybe even get a foot in on Son or whoever while having enough pace not to have to pull him back.

You learn by doing.

I was very supportive and appreciative of the job he did last season under difficult conditions, but he’s an absolutely diabolical manager isn’t he really?

He’s 100% responsible for that humiliating and predictable defeat on Saturday.

Think I’d honestly rather turn my back on watching the PL than have to go through another 37 games of Everton under Dyche.

I question re-signing Young mate, but I think the calls for Dixon to be thrown in are a bit fanciful. The lad has never played a second of senior professional football. Maybe he will turn out ok, but the only reason he got any minutes in preseason was because of all the injuries we had.

I'm generally against the idea of people suggesting kids should just get thrown in over seasoned professionals (very seasoned in Young's case). The manager sees these kids in training, we don't, it's generally a theme of "play xyz kid" all the time and its magic beans stuff usually.

I agree the club haven't managed the right back position well, but Dixon would be behind Coleman, Patterson, Young and Garner if any of them were fit.

I'd focus more on Young and (to a lesser extent) Coleman being retained and our inability to prioritise a new one and moving on Patterson (if he's no longer seen as being able to own the position).

Are you suggesting if Dixon started instead of Young on Saturday we’d have lost 7-0 or something? I’m sorry I don’t buy it. There’s not a chance he is worse than Ashley Young at this stage of his career. We’re gaining nothing by playing Young, he can’t defend, he can’t attack, he can’t run. We would be no worse starting with 10 men than starting with him. At least Dixon would offer some qualities, like pace.

Armchair experts who stack shelves in Tesco for a living, yet think they know more than the actual manager and his staff who see the players in training.

The issue is the lack of ability to be able to dip into the market and spend some cash to secure a quality RB, rather than the manager refusing to play a kid no one had heard off until a few weeks ago who suddenly is the next saviour after Simms, Dobbin etc.

Chelsea meanwhile have a squad of 40 and no incoming breach of PSR, conveniently enough.

I've been there, I know. You can have all the experience you like, but there comes a time when your brain starts to write cheques your legs can't cash.
You start trying to compensate - but you over compensate.
You either get too close and get turned or you hang back because you'll get skinned, you think need those extra yards...
and you still get skinned, if the winger has the space to push it behind you and because you're not up his backside...in the football sense...he doesn't even have to come off you to receive the ball. etc, etc etc.

Dixon is a full back and can supposedly, put a bit of a tackle in. He presumably knows the basics...the ball can get past you, or the man can get past you - But Not BOTH!
And allegedly - lightening fast, which is not the end of the world in a defender when faced with a trick fast winger.

Dixon may not be CAFU 2.O but he's got to have a better chance than Young & Holgate at catching / keeping up with, maybe even get a foot in on Son or whoever while having enough pace not to have to pull him back.

You learn by doing.
100%

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back