2024/25 Sean Dyche

I honestly don't get this protection thing over Dixon, especially the comments about him never having played in the prem. Everyone who makes their debut in the top flight has never played a game in the prem.
Other teams hand out debuts to players younger than him, FFS he's 20 this year.
It's been a failing of Everton to still brand anyone under 28 as a kid.
Now I don't know how he'd get on but he's a professional right back and needs must.
It is about the level of experience a player has had before they play in the Premiership.

Tim already has played a full season in the championshio.

Everyone's confidence in the unknown is baffling. How many players have come through the U21s and never made an appearance let alone an impact on the first team?

The answer is yes, he can be worse than Holgate or Young. He could be better, but at 19 it's more likely he'll fail and we're back at square one as a squad and have probably given a huge blow to the guy's confidence.
I’m sure seeing the geriatric Ashley Young make an arse of himself, get sent off then be replaced by Mason Holgate, who had took a spot in the squad, was a huge boost to Dixons confidence mate.

Not everyone deserves a chance. I don't know if this guy does or not, but just throwing someone into the fire at 19 is probably not a good idea, for the club or for him.

There are options other than playing Holgate that are probably better than a 19 year old that has never made a senior team appearance.
Again he's basically a reserve right back, he should be in line for a game on Saturday as we have nobody else available. It seems it's only Everton who don't blood teenagers in this league. The lad is 20 in December and should really given a place. This age concern thing is wrong, plenty of 16 and 17 year olds get chances in other premier sides.

Not everyone deserves a chance. I don't know if this guy does or not, but just throwing someone into the fire at 19 is probably not a good idea, for the club or for him.

There are options other than playing Holgate that are probably better than a 19 year old that has never made a senior team appearance.
If playing them at the start of the season where there is little to no pressure ‘is into the fire’, when can they play?

Cup games and later in the season are more important/pressurised no?

Might be because they never get a chance and eventually get sold?
A middle ground would be better, give them a bit of a chance and then sell them for a bit more when they don't make the grade. A handful of Premier League appearances can add 5m onto a fee rather than them getting moved on for nominal fees.

I am guessing Holgate will not find anther club in the next two weeks.
If not then I think we have to bite the bullet and play him right back.
Ashley Young has made a whole litany of mistakes, luckily not all have been punished. The game against Forest last year was a classic case in point.

Young is out for 1 game and will be back starting against Bournemouth.
Only 1 game for a Red card. Shame! Can we not apply to increase, tell the PL ashley confessed in the dressing room that it was violent conduct and he wanted to kill the Brighton player....Maybe the powers that be that hate us think a 1 game ban is actually a bigger penalty than 3.....

Why? What has he done?

Coleman wasn't a first team regular until age 22 and even then he was playing a lot of wing.
He’s done Nothing yet and that’s the point - the others have had numerous chances to play and continually turn out shocking performances.

Why should not having any experience be such a blocker to playing first team football?

Our options are limited with injuries and poor recruitment - Dixon is an option but you wouldn’t look at for the first team just because he’s inexperienced and lacking , yet will select known atrocious footballers instead? Bizarre.

Until Coleman or Patterson are fit, or we go and sign a rb, Dixon should get a chance.

He’s done Nothing yet and that’s the point - the others have had numerous chances to play and continually turn out shocking performances.

Why should not having any experience be such a blocker to playing first team football?

Our options are limited with injuries and poor recruitment - Dixon is an option but you wouldn’t look at for the first team just because he’s inexperienced and lacking , yet will select known atrocious footballers instead? Bizarre.

Until Coleman or Patterson are fit, or we go and sign a rb, Dixon should get a chance.
All a bit academic really - Dyche signed Young, seemingly as cheap cover for versatility at full-back and wing - so he played him for that reason.

In your opinion Young is atrocious - not in Dyches obvs.

Dixon is likely just starting to train with the first team or will go out on loan - he is seemingly behind Patterson, Coleman, Young and even Holgate.

In my opinion, if Dixon isn't ready then we are sorely missing an adequate first team full-back.

You said he deserved a chance. Based on what? I'm not even doubting the kid, but saying he deserves a shot means he's done something to earn that. He hasn't, or he likely would have been in the squad this past week.

It's not just because he's inexperienced, if he was good enough right this second he would be playing.

I understand I'm going against the grain here, but it's just nonsense to expect this kid to do any better at Tottenham who scored 74 goals last season.

No one is holding him back. Dyche will act in self interest, if he feels he can do the job he'll play him. It's more likely we'll see a back three this weekend.

"All he needs is a chance" is a false premise, and a tiring one at that. We've seen countless times evidence of this, yet it still persists.

So is "he can't be any worse than x." Based on what?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back