2024/25 Sean Dyche

Thanks for writing ‘confirmation bias!’ . I had a writers block when I was typing that post and couldn’t bring to mind that bloody phrase I was searching for .😁
For me the manner of the defeats is more important at this stage rather than the results alone.
Win , lose or draw I find his grinding style of football , watching Everton surrender the initiative every game , mind numbingly boring , and cowardly.
It is also depressing that once we concede that first goal the weight of evidence suggests we have already lost 2points and a draw is the best we can do .
I can’t imagine it would be very enjoyable for a player to constantly be playing such drab football with minimal creative license or direction
But I suppose being a multi millionaire in your twenties lessens the pain for these otherwise largely unexceptional people, and yes, I am probably employing confirmation bias again, ( had to shoehorn that in 😁)

We're all guilty of it!

Personally i think its something more, whatever about style and formation - yesterday was an exhibition of poor technical football, poor and lazy decisions and over confidence in my opinion. This group haven't felt heat yet this season, its all fresh snow for them and i think there is an assumption - without a points deduction they are going to be ok, whether that is conscious or subconscious, they need to wake up, because their performance and attitude was crap. Im talking lazy passing out of play, poor decisions, letting men run, letting men drift and not being aware of overloads, sticking when they need to twist - thats 0 to do with how a team is set up or style of play

I dont think we surrender initiative - i think when we have initiative and momentum we dont have enough quality to execute - take the first 30 mins against Brighton we could have been 3 up but weren't. Why? The players aren't good enough.

In all honesty they didn't deserve to be on the same pitch as Spurs yesterday - it was men against boys.

The players would be wise to play whatever football they are told - in the best way they can - because bar one or three - they are Championship players if not here. Its that simple for me.

This set of players "enjoying playing football" - is and should be way down our list of considerations and objectives FFS - most of them yesterday couldn't string a 10 yard pass to a team mate, without kicking it over the by line.

Where id be critical of Dyche is prob going easy on them after Brighton and they also don't look PL in game fit ready to me.

Confirmation bias to see all the limitations that he is accused of in every decision he makes - yes.

But I think a better expression is 'Familiarity breeds contempt' - 3rd season and he is basically doing the same again.

I think some were hoping for him to evolve the team somehow.

Due to injuries (I think we shoud be fair there) - we've actually gone backwwards and he doesn't seem to have an answer for it - there is a plan A - NDiaye, Lindstrom, O'Brien don't fit into plan A yet - and there isn't a plan B or C so he has to wait until key players recover.

He’s pretty much saying it’s wrong to have high expectations, and we have to accept that it’s going to be a long, tough season with poor football.

While there’s parts of it that are probably just, he is ignoring that his philosophy and tactics that are playing a significant part in this.
Well he needs to be bit more considered in his wording. He certainly likes to demonstrate his vocabulary and knowledge when he’s defending his style, he must know full well how those comments could and most likely would be interpreted.
Ironically whiles he’s not wrong in reality, I refuse to accept he doesn’t how inflammatory his words are, he’s basically asking for trouble for some reason.
He’s also comes across as pretty disconnected from the club imho, very rarely does he talk about ‘us’ or ‘we’ it’s generally ‘Everton’ or ‘this club’, ‘these fans’ etc.

They're a worthless team of wage thieves. You can pretend that its the style of play and the setup if you want but I guarantee you that if we swap Dyche (who again, I don't care for) for a young and upcoming manager (one who would have to be absolutely desperate to touch us) we'll be right back here in a year to 18 months max saying the exact same story. Yes the setup and style is atrocious but that doesn't make the pathetic lack of effort from the scum we have for a team any more justified.
No they aren’t and really? Scum that’s massively uncalled for, Branthwaite isn’t scum, Tarkowski isn’t scum, Garner isn’t scum, Pickford definitely isn’t scum

If we swapped managers for someone progressive who doesn’t rely on aging or poor players (Tarks and Gueye aside) you would see a massive massive difference

We're all guilty of it!

Personally i think its something more, whatever about style and formation - yesterday was an exhibition of poor technical football, poor and lazy decisions and over confidence in my opinion. This group haven't felt heat yet this season, its all fresh snow for them and i think there is an assumption - without a points deduction they are going to be ok, whether that is conscious or subconscious, they need to wake up, because their performance and attitude was crap. Im talking lazy passing out of play, poor decisions, letting men run, letting men drift and not being aware of overloads, sticking when they need to twist - thats 0 to do with how a team is set up or style of play

I dont think we surrender initiative - i think when we have initiative and momentum we dont have enough quality to execute - take the first 30 mins against Brighton we could have been 3 up but weren't. Why? The players aren't good enough.

In all honesty they didn't deserve to be on the same pitch as Spurs yesterday - it was men against boys.

The players would be wise to play whatever football they are told - in the best way they can - because bar one or three - they are Championship players if not here. Its that simple for me.

This set of players "enjoying playing football" - is and should be way down our list of considerations and objectives FFS - most of them yesterday couldn't string a 10 yard pass to a team mate, without kicking it over the by line.

Where id be critical of Dyche is prob going easy on them after Brighton and they also don't look PL in game fit ready to me.
Yoy are right we look well off it. To me it smacks of yet another poor preseason where we are playing substandard teams that doesn't prepare us for the level we are going to be up against. Also obviously some key players missing through injuries and I question Dyche's focus on fitness over tactics. This is the third season in a row we have started badly and I get we can't settle our squad until the window shuts due to finances but the way we prepare is appalling and I don't buy this idea preseasons don't matter.

Yoy are right we look well off it. To me it smacks of yet another poor preseason where we are playing substandard teams that doesn't prepare us for the level we are going to be up against. Also obviously some key players missing through injuries and I question Dyche's focus on fitness over tactics. This is the third season in a row we have started badly and I get we can't settle our squad until the window shuts due to finances but the way we prepare is appalling and I don't buy this idea preseasons don't matter.

I think all of that on reflection are great points mate, dont disagree with any of it.

We look miles off don we. ;)

Last edited:
No one has a clue, where he`s getting the high expectations thing from, as we all know the mess that the clubs in and the vast majority would been very happy with just not to be involved in another relegation scenario and a decent cup run.

Like you say, it`s just another form of deflection.

Imagine being a player and hearing your manager say that ???

" The team aren`t really very good and I expect us to be fighting relegation most of the season "
He probably met some lad, pissed out of his head on Lark Lane who said “Europe next year Sean, ye boss lad, 5 home wins lad, Europe”

And that’s is evidence

I don't want him sacked yet but I do and always have thought he was an absolute weapon. I long for the day when we don't have to deal with his ilk anymore.

I reckon these agricultural old-school British manager types are some of the biggest charlatans in footy. Always get love in the media from their mates and are only ever one crisis at another club away from being in another job again.

Unfortunately that's our level.

I don't want him sacked yet but I do and always have thought he was an absolute weapon. I long for the day when we don't have to deal with his ilk anymore.

I reckon these agricultural old-school British manager types are some of the biggest charlatans in footy. Always get love in the media from their mates and are only ever one crisis at another club away from being in another job again.

Unfortunately that's our level.
They're utterly outdated and the first two games show it.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back