2024/25 Sean Dyche

I believe we where going down and should have gone down, how we didn’t that season is still unbelievable tbh, Leicester and Pope saved us, last season seemed close but it wasn’t in the end, we can’t keep having these losing streaks 10 and 13 in the last 2 seasons and currently on 3 already. I don’t think we go down but a change of manager is needed

After the season you, I and 99% had us as down - we then had to sell more than we bought and got clobbered with big point deductions. And still stayed up.

You look at every other manager we've had and consider context and importance of achieving an objective and as I say, I think only Moyes finishing 4th tops it.

Sure we can/should critique - we're Everton fans, not Dyche fans but I think for critique to be genuine and with merit then we have to be fair and acknowledge he kept us up. How it was done doesn't matter.

Like when we sacked Lampard - It's whether another manager can improve our odds this season.

Remarkably to me - some don't think we'll be in a relegation scrap this season. God knows why. Weve been crap for 3 years and every window sold more than we've spent.

All I've said is replace this manager and I still think we are in a bad way.

Though NDiaye gives me hope. That type of player could make a huge difference.

We can only hope he pulls a rabbit out the hat with this one. I don't give two hoots about Dyche but we need to get points, and fast. A surprise win at Villa would help change the mood and direction of things. A point will still be a surprise and something to build on.
It would be a surprise. I struggle to see us pulling it off.

To respond to what you did say, yes we had moments last season of people calling for his head and we also had moments of people worshipping him like after the Derby. Football fans are fickle. It's a results business and if you deliver results you will earn the respect of fans, something you need to have as a manager.

Whatever your personal opinion on Dyche is and whether or not he might turn things around, yesterday was the kind of result that will have made the majority of fans make their minds up about him for good. I think for a lot of people he's lost their respect and is not going to be able to earn it back.

People have compared it to the Martinez game vs wham or the Silva game vs Millwall. I think those are good comparisons because they represent the exact moment a managers position here became untenable. No one knows what would have happened if we kept Silva here, he looks like one of our better managerial appointments in hindsight but I was at that Millwall game and I can tell you he had to go. Fan mood and the toxicity that can build around a manager affects players and results.

For me at this point Dyche has annoyed the fans too much and I don't see a way back for him. It already seems inevitable that he doesn't last the season. Best thing to do is to get this out of the way while it's still early in the season, before things become even more toxic. If we sack him today we won't have to hire another firefighter, leave it a couple of months and we will.

I think your first two paragraphs are contradictory mate - you say football fans are fickle and people will draw judgements game to game - fair enough. But then secondly you say people have made their minds up - for infinitiy - that's contradictory. If we go on an unbeaten run over the next 10 it shifts again - we both know that. Take the Derby - or saving us from points deduction with games to spare - he was our man. After yesterday hes not - you see the point.

Ultimately the thing is, everyone who wants Dyche out - will be right at a certain point - very few last beyond two years - the more familar actually the more contempt builds - so its an easy bet to play it safe, he will loose his job - we know it, he knows it, every manager does - its just the context of his departure to be determined as in the when and how - that could be in another two years it could be after another three games.

Football fans are fickle and very few take a systemic view, a lot of the problems created at this club, where done so on reacting by continuously sacking managers, it led to instability, that seeped through to the club and an awful waste of resources - any fan going to a game who doesn't think we are in a phase of recovery is fooling themselves. Reacting - to a result or even three, with a whole season ahead of us in endemic of that harmful trend and it has to be halted - the red line is where Lampard got us to.

What is best for Everton - is stability as the club is recovered, bumps in the road and all - its far more important then one or three results. Whenever the club is handed over it has to be in a better more stable position.

I dont think he will be sacked for the simple reason - he made the club 200 mill in a season and a half. Its not the first thing that pops into peoples heads after Bournemouth - but you can bet your backside it is at board and owner level.

Last edited:

After the season you, I and 99% had us as down - we then had to sell more than we bought and got clobbered with big point deductions. And still stayed up.

You look at every other manager we've had and consider context and importance of achieving an objective and as I say, I think only Moyes finishing 4th tops it.

Sure we can/should critique - we're Everton fans, not Dyche fans but I think for critique to be genuine and with merit then we have to be fair and acknowledge he kept us up. How it was done doesn't matter.

Like when we sacked Lampard - It's whether another manager can improve our odds this season.

Remarkably to me - some don't think we'll be in a relegation scrap this season. God knows why. Weve been crap for 3 years and every window sold more than we've spent.

All I've said is replace this manager and I still think we are in a bad way.

Though NDiaye gives me hope. That type of player could make a huge difference.
Depends on the manager we get.
Dyche is a fire fighter and always has been
Lampard a loser manager and had shown that before coming to Everton
Benitez well that was never going to work.

So if we were to get say Fat boy again we be in the same position, Moyes probably the same as well. Rooney would take us down or Duncan.

Get a manager with a higher ceiling and you get higher players. Look at Villa and Bournemouth as examples.

The players don't escape blame it was partly their fault. But the manager should be a little more alert to what was happening. Bournemouth made 5 changes 5 fresh players, half a team. Either they wanted to try get a point or they sniffed blood. Either way, Dyche didn't react. He didn't react to what Bournemouth were doing. He didn't react to what our players were doing. We had players knackered. Dyche's reaction? Take two players off that were not done yet. In fact they were outlets. The subs meant we weren't holding the ball it was coming back. Huge error from Dyche. He cost us that. He's also done it before.

Remember his smug comment that subs don't make as much difference as people think? Utter weirdo

Hopefully something like yesterday will make him rethink that, but it's unlikely

At 2-0 I was thinking "Maybe I judged him too harshly."

After the final whistle I realised he's getting off lightly.

Worst manager in Evertons entire history, bar none.
Not that I am vying for an argument, walking sun tan walker was waaay worse, better players, horrible style of play, there is no way on gods earth would he have kept us even competitive last season to stay up.

But from yesterdays game I am struggling to defend the players, downed tools and the manager, you could smell it was wrong and his daft substitutions and tactics.

I am dismayed at this point, somehow we’ve made the worst we can be get even worse.

There's a tiny gang of lads on here that would see Sean Dyche relegated us and still trying and claim that he's doing a good job. Wish they were my manager at work.
There's a mixture.

Some people will defend everything Everton do, cos accepting what we are is too painful for them.

And some people are just trolls.

How anybody can defend a man who went 4 months without winning a game is beyond me.

For 86minutes yesterday we saw what this group of " failures" can do, cos that's what some people want to push.

It's not the manager, it's the players, which is utterly laughable.

But it's OK, this utter stain will be removed soon and we can start to heal, again.

Depends on the manager we get.
Dyche is a fire fighter and always has been
Lampard a loser manager and had shown that before coming to Everton
Benitez well that was never going to work.

So if we were to get say Fat boy again we be in the same position, Moyes probably the same as well. Rooney would take us down or Duncan.

Get a manager with a higher ceiling and you get higher players. Look at Villa and Bournemouth as examples.

I wanted Emery here in 2019 when most fans found the idea silly;

This thread just shows how short term fan thinking can be.

I was saying to the other moderators the other day we should be speaking to Emery...

He's a top manager, following Wenger was always a big ask and sometimes managers just dont fit certain clubs.

Problem is - how many are going to be wanting to come to the leagues biggest basketcase of a club. Chaotic, pending a new owner?

Our only hope is if Textor is genuine, then he can influence or make changes of necessary. He got the Palace manager an he seems alright.

We're in limbo, and I think we'd get the Bielsa treatment from most.

All this fitness rubbish from Dyche etc Gaffa days do me a favour we have looked dead on our feet from 70 minutes in the 3 games we have played, every team has looked better than us and fitter in those games.
He is trying to pull the wool over Everton fans eyes and it simply won't work, this is not Burnley you clown
To be honest we've been like that for years. Stamina is a major issue at Everton as well as energy. We have little in either department compared to other teams. What we do in regards to training and fitness at FF is anyone's guess. But it isn't PL level.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back