2024/25 Sean Dyche

This is the most disconnected I've ever felt with this club. Just numb now can't even get angry because losing is the normal and will happen again v Leicester. I honestly could see this team getting the fewest points in a prem season if this is allowed to continue. Don't see where a points coming from. He needs to be booted ASAP or this season will be done come November

Because it’s show the mindset of a manager who no intention at all of taking a game to the opposition.

And using our game against Arsenal is the most ludicrous argument ever; of course you’ll need to change your approach for teams who like a possession based game. Fans accept the reality of that situation

We spent large portions of last night with 9 men behind the ball. Stop talking utter [Poor language removed] to defend in the indefensible

It’s utterly embarrassing
Do you know this Southampton side?

As @GrandOldTeam has pointed out. They have possession for possession sake. They base their whole game around it and usually out possess the opponent but lose.

I get some don’t have time for The Esk, but listened to his podcast last week and he hinted that if Dyche is sacked he gets a full year salary, or something of that effect, regardless of how long he has left on his contract. Due to Everton being skint the pay off package may keep him here until the end of the season. Obviously this may just be rumours, but could be possible.
Time for a GOT whip-round then, quite simply he has to go and if we have to help fund it, so be it!

The good old “acceptable losses”

Your post history really highlights the modern evertonian and they’re acceptance at utter mediocrity
Perhaps I'm just more realistic about where we are as a club and our limitations whereas some loonies on here were talking about a European push.

Perhaps also I don't pump worth into things like possession stats when they're absolutely redundant without context and analysing the wider spectrum of the game.

We had a depleted side last night.

People bang on about possession, but we were playing a team who pass for passing sake. They went to Brentford, Brentford had 37% possession but still beat them 3-1. They went to Newcastle, Newcastle had 22% of possession but Newcastle beat them 1-0. Against Nottingham Forest, Forest had 35% possession.

It was a crap watch, but we still should have won. The fringe players fans have been screaming to be given a chance, just didn't do it. Looking at you, Lindstrom. Looking at you, Beto.

The likes of Mangala rushed in - he had the fewest of touches of any outfield player.

Dixon, as refreshing as it was to see some pace - also lost the most duels on the pitch and to me at least, was walked through repeatedly down that side.

I didn't expect us to beat Spurs Away, or Villa Away.

Brighton are no mugs - Bournemouth was the disappointment.

I shared my view on here we'd be on <3 points prior Leicester. The next two, Leicester A and C.Palace he needs 3/4 points, minimum.

The upcoming fixture list now looks a bit kinder - we need to stay in contention come January and hope ownership is sorted and spend.

Leicester a
Palace h
Newcastle h
Ipswich a
Fulham h
Southampton a
West Ham a
Brentford h

The voice of reason. Let's hope your right. It may be harder in those games now for Dyche though as you feel any poor start or throwing a lead away could lead to a lot of unrest from the crowd.

It's how you loose. Last night was insipid rather than the league matches which have been embarrassing so far... Factor in he is not very good with fan PR, and to me he does not want to get it us on side. It's end of days.

Alright Fahrad
As said, it's crap, especially the Wolves and Bournemouth results last and this season and at the end of the day a manager should live and die by results no matter who they're against, but it does provide a bit of context.

The run of games we have coming up are the real test of where we are as a side.

The thing about that purple patch at the end was we were awful in every game but the Liverpool match (which was our best performance in some time). The other 4 wins were turgid affairs against equally crap teams. We were so lucky last season that the 3 teams that came up were three of the worst teams to grace the premiership. And not only that Notts Forest, Brentford and Palace weren’t much better.

Why is that embarrassing? Did possession help Barnsley win that game?

We had 29.5% possession against Arsenal when we beat them in the first game under Dyche. Did possession help Arsenal win?

Possession as a base stat is utterly useless.
Possession helps in the control of a game, Utd are a much better side than Barnsley so it won't be a given.

Fair enough having less possession than Arsenal as they are a very good side and to play defensive with a counter attack is he right thing to do.

But to let every side we play have the ball and chase them all game is exhausting for the players and awful to watch.

There's a balance too, Southampton were aimlessly passing it around at the back which is also awful to watch, I just think Dyche should have been working on us being able to keep the ball for more than a couple of passes and the team being able to mix it up.

Do you know this Southampton side?

As @GrandOldTeam has pointed out. They have possession for possession sake. They base their whole game around it and usually out possess the opponent but lose.
Jesus Christ, I know what Southampton “try to do” and what they can’t do. The same as Bournemouth?? Yes, and did we approach the game the same a Bournemouth??

No we did not. We sat with 9 men behind the ball, allowed them to play into our half, we pressed them half heartedly and forced them back and then retreated into a flat back 9

Southampton are an awful side and everyone in that ground could see it, could see that if we would have played 20 yards up the pitch we would have hounded them into mistakes and would have won easily.

So intent is the optimal word here. And Dyche has none

He gets credit for last season but I don’t see it. It was piss easy last season. You could have stayed up on 27 points. What’s that 7 wins and 6 draws. He gets credit for keeping us up after Lampard but that’s it. Should have been shown the door then.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back