2024/25 Sean Dyche

Mate?

I've bored the tits off everyone on here all summer saying I'd take 17th before a ball was kicked.

We're crap.

I think fans massively overrate this team, and put too much emphasis on one or two indivduals - Keane and Dyche. Take both out of the equation, and we're still relegation fodder - again, 19th going into February without either them two.

We've not invested in the team that survived relegation on the final Goodison fixture of the season for 2 seasons on the spin.

What changed?

Signing Ndiaye/Lindstrom? :lol:

Not sure mate, as I've said on here I expected us <3 points coming to Leicester because I expected Spurs, Villa and Brighton to beat us.

The query I have is...

With a better squad, why would you 'take 17th' when we effectively finished 12th last season under worse circumstances?

Mate?

I've bored the tits off everyone on here all summer saying I'd take 17th before a ball was kicked.

We're crap.

I think fans massively overrate this team, and put too much emphasis on one or two indivduals - Keane and Dyche. Take both out of the equation, and we're still relegation fodder - again, 19th going into February without either them two.

We've not invested in the team that survived relegation on the final Goodison fixture of the season for 2 seasons on the spin.

What changed?

Not sure mate, as I've said on here I expected us <3 points coming to Leicester because I expected Spurs, Villa and Brighton to beat us.

But we got 48 points last season so why do things need to have changed for us to expect similar this time? Why are we now thinking there’s absolutely no chance of this team getting mid-40 points? It’s the same team that did last season, which I keep getting reminded of.

Could it be something to do with the manager setting low expectations and people subconsciously eating it up? Or do you think we’ve weakened the squad by -12 points over the summer?

I only watched the first half, but how we played after the switch?

Did he put Ndiaye CF, with Harrison, McNeil and Lindström behind, Tim CM and Young LB?
Yup, and it totally killed any little semblance of play that we had up to that point. Beto can’t have been tired, he’s hardly played, don’t care that he’s a little rough and ready or not very good, he didn’t need to come off.

Ndiaye was then up against two massive cbs, and we started pumping balls up to him and crossing, he just disappears after being our biggest outlet and brightest performer - mental.

McNeil had been given a pretty torrid night out of position at lb, but was then thrust into attack, he looked goosed from about 60 mins to me.

Tim did ok, but the tactical shape of the team is broken and the midfield is a problem, especially with doucure in there - willingness to just let the opposition have the ball is killing us.

Harrison was his usual self, and actually seemed done in after about 10 mins, not sure if he got a knock - lindstrom did much more for me.

Young shouldn’t have been on the pitch, but didn’t really do anything wrong - got skinned a couple of times by that dibling kid and had a few mad shots that ended up in a Gwladys st garden.

Last season we earned 48 points on the pitch.

That keeps you up any season.

In fact, we finished 8th with 48 points once.

22 points clear is some progress from relying on the final home game of the season to stay up for successive seasons.

I'd take that now in a heart beat.
Yet we didn’t win a game between Dec and April, a decent manager would have got us an extra 10-15 points easily, a decent manager would have beaten Bournemouth. We Drew with SU, Lost, lost and Drew against Luton last season

He a crap manager who very limited, is tactically inept and his ingame management is woeful

….he demonstrated last season that he was the best option.

A squad of poor quality, absent owners, no Board, points deductions and yet he still comfortably avoided relegation. That demonstrates to me he’s the best option.
The squad is better than avoiding relegation though. Why have people allowed themselves to be convinced otherwise? Good managers get more from players and don't consider 17th success.
17th is the lowest we've ever finished so that should be seen as a bad thing.
You mentioned the points deduction and yes he helped navigate that but he isn't talking like someone who in effect got 48pts and 12th last season. The narrative among a large section of the fan base is 17th is success which is plain weird tbh

The query I have is...

With a better squad, why would you 'take 17th' when we effectively finished 12th last season under worse circumstances?

I've regularly shared my view that I think, points earned wise, we overperformed last season. We got very fortunate with injuries last season. We had no big injuries to any key player.

I don't think we have a better squad. We didn't address what we needed to. We've been in a relegation scrap for 3 years because our final third don't produce enough. McNeil, has been relegated. Doucoure, has been relegated. Harrison, has been relegated.

We didn't sign the goals/pace we needed, and we've gambled on NDiaye or Lindstrom being revolutionary. If neither turn up, then we've lost Onana on last season but still relying on Coleman, Gana Gueye, Young...

3 summers of Everton making more money than they've spent in the market. Why are people surprised?

Done nothing but say all this so I'm not in the slighest surprised. My only surprise is we've scored more than I'd have thought, but conceded more. But then, no Branthwaite so it is what it is.

Mate?

We're crap.

What changed?

Lampard a shocking shocking manager and only got the job because he got the Chelsea job which he only got because he played for them. Dyche is very limited

Yet we didn’t win a game between Dec and April, a decent manager would have got us an extra 10-15 points easily, a decent manager would have beaten Bournemouth. We Drew with SU, Lost, lost and Drew against Luton last season

He a crap manager who very limited, is tactically inept and his ingame management is woeful

Yet, we also went on a run like this.

Swings and roundabouts isn't it?

We earned 48 points last season.

Last season I said that "achievement", all considered, is the most impressive of any Everton manager since Moyes finished 4th.

Hard then to say sack him after 4 games - all 4, the opposition were bookies favourite. 3 of the 4 have been games I've not expected us to get a result.

But, almost amusingly, I'm aware I've said he needs results in the next 2.

The squad is better than avoiding relegation though. Why have people allowed themselves to be convinced otherwise? Good managers get more from players and don't consider 17th success.
17th is the lowest we've ever finished so that should be seen as a bad thing.
You mentioned the points deduction and yes he helped navigate that but he isn't talking like someone who in effect got 48pts and 12th last season. The narrative among a large section of the fan base is 17th is success which is plain weird tbh

It’s like he’s uncomfortable with how many points we got last season as he wants to live in a perpetual relegation dogfight. He has orchestrated the drop in expectations with his language and mannerisms. As a manager it’s up to you to motivate the players and make them believe they are better than they are, look at the likes of Klopp making Origi and Nat Phillips think they are Champions League level players. We’ve got a manager who wants our players to believe they’ll be lucky to finish above Leicester and Southampton’s Championship level squads. Eventually that’s going to lead to a tailspin, which looks like it’s started.

As I say, he isn’t turning it around. The rot is too deep at this point. The players don’t believe in him and no longer believe in themselves.

I’m not a current Dyche defender by any means but this just isn’t true. Even forgetting about the deduction we finished 15th on 40 points, a figure that will always keep you up. And obviously without the deduction it’s a very comfortable, if not particularly enjoyable, season. Avoiding relegation was never down to how bad the bottom three was.

The issue with Dyche is he seems to have actively made us worse this season when we should be kicking on which to me suggests he’s simply past his shelf life. Doesn’t mean we need to rewrite history about the previous seasons, where he’s done by and large a decent job. Thanks for that Sean, but it’s time for a change.
Considering
I’m not a current Dyche defender by any means but this just isn’t true. Even forgetting about the deduction we finished 15th on 40 points, a figure that will always keep you up. And obviously without the deduction it’s a very comfortable, if not particularly enjoyable, season. Avoiding relegation was never down to how bad the bottom three was.

The issue with Dyche is he seems to have actively made us worse this season when we should be kicking on which to me suggests he’s simply past his shelf life. Doesn’t mean we need to rewrite history about the previous seasons, where he’s done by and large a decent job. Thanks for that Sean, but it’s time for a change.
Considering 5 of those wins came from teams bellow us makes it very relevant.
Against better teams we don't get them 15 points , that's the point I'm making.
Last nights 26% possession at home to a newly promoted side just emphasises this.

Yes we are worse than last season , he is definitely past his shelf life.
Change has to come ASAP.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back