2024/25 Sean Dyche

He's been here 20 months and this is the worst 20 months or so for the last 70 years.

There's no point in denying he has resolve and determination. He maybe needs to mind his 'Ps and Qs' at times when addressing questions, but he's about all that stands in the way of us and relegation IMO.

He needs his own contract, and his staffs, sorting out too, btw.

off the field yes, but on the field as i say we have better squads than the other teams that have gone down.

he's barking up the wrong tree if he thinks answers like that is going to endear him to our supporters, we are sick to death of this club and they are lucky 40k still turn up every week to watch that same shower.

We did they with Moyes mate, eventually every manager will reach his plateau.

Peak Moyes is a light year ahead of Dyche imo and I never liked bloody Moyes either.

Moyes between 2003 and 2010 was a top manager imo. All things considered. Will always be hard to judge him after that as he simply never got the backing he required.

While I am confident peak Moyes is better than peak Dyche, let's remember Moyes had very talented and hard working players at his disposal.

The context of the game does matter. An open day showing like yesterday (pre season was also shambolic) would have most self respecting clubs assessing their options.

I’m sorry but no ‘self respecting’ club assesses options after the first game of a season.

We’re an utter basket case at board level and even we’re not that stupid.

This is simply just not true. If every PL club just sacked their manager every time there was an ‘embarrassing’ result there’d be Pep left and that’s it. In fact he lost 4-0 to Ronald Koeman ffs so better get him out as well.

Few things to unpack there.

We didn’t win games at the start of last season because we couldn’t finish but the performances between Fulham, Wolves last season and Brighton this season was night and day so it’s not a replica of the same 11 or formation.

The 11 last season changed lots of times. Branthwaite came in, Onana and Garner rotated with Gueye. Harrison was in, then he was out with Garner on the wing, then he came back in. We went to the three at the back at times. Regardless of any of that though if everyone knew what we were going to get with these tactics (3-0 batterings) then we’d have got zero points rather than 48 because it’s not just about tactics it’s about execution of them also.

I’m not saying it’s a one off, I’m saying it can and will happen to most teams every season and it will probably happen to us again and at some point (like we did at Brighton) we’ll probably administer it to someone else on their ground and their fans can say how embarrassing it is that Everton battered them on their own patch. Bournemouth battered United at Old Trafford, it happens in the premier league when you play poorly, it can happen to anyone and it happened to pods of Everton teams in the past since I can remember watching them, it’s not a new invention so all this ‘ x should never batter us at Goodison park’ is just finally entitled nonsense. Anyone can beat anyone in the PL and indeed in any competition hence
giant killings in cups. Hercules with Reston Drenthe in the side went to prime Barcelona at the Nou Camp and won 2-0.
When I saw the team selection I fully expected us to lose.

It's entitled to say we should never lose at home. It's not entitled to think we should never get smashed at home to mid table sides.

The tactics yesterday were just pure huff and puff. Absolutely no patterns of play and no quality. That same front 4 have failed miserably for over a year now so why persist with them.

And the back 4 that was selected was an absolute joke. The manager and KT prioritised a new centre half over a goalscorer. So to see that player behind Keane and Holgate in the pecking order is absolutely deflating for the supporters and it also defies all logic.

Dyche is extremely predictable but not in a good way. I can't wait till we move on and try to play football again. Watching this side and these tactics is painful.

Genuinely don’t see him being the manager next season. Fair enough he did well in that half a season to keep us up after the mess we were in from Lampards tenure and there was improvement last season, but 48 points should have been the minimum for a team that had Englands goalkeeper, one of the best young centre half’s playing alongside a solid centre back and leader, Ukraine’s left back, a Belgium international midfielder (who instantly looks like a different player winning Motm when playing for a manager who’s emphasis is on an attacking brand of football), an England under 21 international midfielder, Calvert lewin. Yes there was some dross but dyche continued to play that dross, and still does, and refused to give the likes of Danjuma a run of games!
Aside from that it feels like Thelwell is bringing in players for a manager who wants a possession style, with lots of flair. I doubt very much that if dyche was told Onana and Godfrey will be sold but there will be around £30m and loans to spend that ndiaye, lindstrom and a ball playing centre half playing for Lille would have been at the top of his list.
By the start of next season we will have new owners and arguably the best stadium in the country. The new owners will want to herald the start of a new dawn I would expect, what they won’t want is a manager playing turgid football in a state of the art stadiums, hoping for a 1-0, with 28% possession against the likes of Bournemouth and Brentford

off the field yes, but on the field as i say we have better squads than the other teams that have gone down.

he's barking up the wrong tree if he thinks answers like that is going to endear him to our supporters, we are sick to death of this club and they are lucky 40k still turn up every week to watch that same shower.

Did we? Last season undoubtedly. The season before though?

Better than Leicester with Maddison Barnes Tielemans Ndidi Vardy

Better than Leeds with Gnonto Summerville Rodrigo Rutter Bamford Sinisterra Harrison McKennie Wober Tyler Adams

I think the only squad we were better than that season was Southampton and even they had Ward Prowse, Lavia, Caleta Car, Walker Peters, Livramento, Che Adams most of whom would have walked into our team that season.

Saying that the players are poor is like a dog whistle to some on here who see it as trying to absolve the manager of everything. It isn’t. The manager will still make selection errors, tactical errors, substitution errors.

But there comes a point when several different managers from Ancelotti Benitez Lampard and Dyche and even a few before have all had the same problems with some players that Everton fans have to stop delusionally over valuing the players in our squad.

Pickford Branthwaite Tarkowski Garner. These names aside no top half team is touching any other player from our squad (I’ve left off the new signings as yet to be judged). It’s a bottom half squad simple as that.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back