2024/25 Sean Dyche

I don't accept that point at all to be honest mate. we have a mutli-million pound annually sports science team, S&C and medical team - do you really think he has them running up and down sand dunes. Id say he has about 0 input into fitness - why would he.

What do we think he happens he watches them do laps around finch farm.
The famous Gaffer, multiple times, in the couple of weeks leading up to the 1st game of the season, this is a fact.

Like I said, all other teams are conditioning and topping up fitness whilst working on their tactics, our gaffer still running them hard.

Absolute Dinosaur.... worst manager in the PL. Needs to be gone ASAP, we need a manager where the team looks like it has actually been coached and has something more than the Dyche crap plan A.

Did we? Last season undoubtedly. The season before though?

Better than Leicester with Maddison Barnes Tielemans Ndidi Vardy

Better than Leeds with Gnonto Summerville Rodrigo Rutter Bamford Sinisterra Harrison McKennie Wober Tyler Adams

I think the only squad we were better than that season was Southampton and even they had Ward Prowse, Lavia, Caleta Car, Walker Peters, Livramento, Che Adams most of whom would have walked into our team that season.

Saying that the players are poor is like a dog whistle to some on here who see it as trying to absolve the manager of everything. It isn’t. The manager will still make selection errors, tactical errors, substitution errors.

But there comes a point when several different managers from Ancelotti Benitez Lampard and Dyche and even a few before have all had the same problems with some players that Everton fans have to stop delusionally over valuing the players in our squad.

Pickford Branthwaite Tarkowski Garner. These names aside no top half team is touching any other player from our squad (I’ve left off the new signings as yet to be judged). It’s a bottom half squad simple as that.

well as we have already agreed on last season, his one and only full season at the club I'm not really sure what the rest of your arguement is then??? my original point was that last season some people ( not saying you are ) are stating we stayed up because of dyche, when we SHOULD have stayed up anyway as the teams belw us where genuinely terrible.

season before last, yes they both had decent squads, but they also had terrible managers hence why they made changes at the end of the season.

regarding fans over valueing players, mate i think you are on a different forum if think that ( apart from DCL who some fans and goats on here do )

sacking managers isnt always the answer though, but the fact remains he ISNT the long term answer, and as soon as a new owner comes in with even half a plan, he'll be gone anyway. i'd rather have moyes back an on interim basis than watch and listen to this man anymore

Didn't we lose 4-1 at home in the first game of the 84/85 season? By that rule, one of the best proponents of NSNO would have been sacked.

I know there's a world of difference between the two managers, but do feel there's a slight overreaction going on with yesterday. We were in the game and had a good chance of getting a result until the pen was overturned and Gueye gave away that second goal. Individual mistakes turned a disappointing start until an awful one, but that doesn't call for knee-jerk decisions.

Think we'll be fine this season and with any luck we're in a position come the season's end to thank Dyche and move forward without him.
Exactly this pal. Kendall would have been chased out by most of those in this thread.

It's not entitled because it's not a one off. It happens regularly. We lost at home far too often last year (twice to Luton, twice to Fulham etc). We've never won a home game under Dyche if the other team score.

This happens far too often and I don't accept garbage performances like that. Especially not when the manager makes so many dreadful decisions.

You can bring up as many one off examples of big teams losing as you like but it doesn't mean anything because this is the opposite of a one off. This is Sean Dyches Everton - we go long periods without winning and don't win enough home games over a season.

Well it’s not Sean Dyche’s Everton. It’s Everton post 1996 with a few moments of exception under Moyes and Martinez’s first season.

There’s nothing new here that we didn’t see under Walker Smith Moyes (at times) Martinez, Koeman, Allardyce, Silva, Ancelotti, Benitez or Lampard. You’re acting as though we’ve never taken a bad loss at home, never had winless runs, never made some bad selections or had some bad players that kept getting selected.

What planet are you on if you think Sean Dyche has introduced this? This has been Everton in the 21st century more often than not. A few years under Moshiri aside which were wasted by Koeman we’ve not had a pot to piss in and have given managers different variants of utterly crap players for most of that period.

If it makes you feel better to think that this is some weird niche variant of Everton that’s only specific to Sean Dyche then the last 30 years would simply tell you that you’re badly wrong.

I don't accept that point at all to be honest mate. we have a mutli-million pound annually sports science team, S&C and medical team - do you really think he has them running up and down sand dunes. Id say he has about 0 input into fitness - why would he.

What do we think he happens he watches them do laps around finch farm.

Couldn't agree more mate. He's defo more old school but the notion that 90% of his training is bleep tests and long balls is laughable.

People have their perceptions and they just wait for an excuse to have a dig.

Sorry, but that's apologia. It's not that people are furious about losing to Brighton, it's that the manager has proven himself a clown with some of his decisions. Playing Keane, Young, and Holgate - proven failures to a man at Everton - and leaving new signings on the bench because they "lack PL experience" is rigid thinking that was utterly shown up by a foreign rookie manager with zero PL experience on the opposite bench.

Dyche has done a really good job for Everton, but yesterday's decison-making and overall thinking on the game from him was disgraceful. It's not that we should never lose 0-3 to Brighton (though I believe they have only ever beaten us once at Goodison), it's that we should never have a manager who goes into a home game like that with the attitudes he had yesterday.

I have admired his work in really trying circumstances, but yesterday was a shocker for me and he has fallen way down in my estimations given the "logic" of his quotes on why he did what he did in terms of team selection. He has shown me he is incapable of adapting - and adapting is all that will keep him in a job when the ownership question is finally resolved.

So you admired Dyche based on 18 months work and then you revised that opinion because of one bad game?

Each to their own.

And the poster before was talking about losing to Brighton. It is entitlement to just claim that should never happen to Everton. If we’re playing badly, it will happen. It happened many many many many times before Dyche and unless we suddenly get rich competent owners will happen long after he’s gone too.

Couldn't agree more mate. He's defo more old school but the notion that 90% of his training is bleep tests and long balls is laughable.

People have their perceptions and they just wait for an excuse to have a dig.
He's been in charge over 18 months and there's still no patterns of play or identifiable style to how we attack. We just smash diagonals, get the ball wide and then our delivery into the box is woeful. We have no pace to counter attack properly and our full backs barely cross half way.

There's no evidence he's coaching the team effectively in training.

The famous Gaffer, multiple times, in the couple of weeks leading up to the 1st game of the season, this is a fact.

Like I said, all other teams are conditioning and topping up fitness whilst working on their tactics, our gaffer still running them hard.

Absolute Dinosaur.... worst manager in the PL. Needs to be gone ASAP, we need a manager where the team looks like it has actually been coached and has something more than the Dyche crap plan A.

That's just a vent mate and very much opinion as you can see from this thread their is a diversity of opinion.

As for gaffers day, its a bit of fun, presuming the point is to set a challenge to over come and build a collective team mentality and a culture of hard work equals rewards. Characteristics that we have had to rely on in his time here under adversity.

I've been involved a bit in preparing teams at elite level in certain sports - far below what PL clubs could offer in terms of budget, from an injury, S/C and fitness perspective - there are teams that are involved in the fitness, S&C and injury management of players - the manager doesn't go anywhere near it. Its all data now and you can pull that up on a lap top in seconds from GPS units, plans are individualized right down to someone running style, pace, burst of acceleration over yards, loads and recovery etc and players have individualized plans. That's data you can have on a lap top is seconds and plans are tailored individually.

As far as i can see any injuries we have are a hangover from last season and actual contact in preseason games and training. You cant legislate for impact injuries.

People are fooling themselves if they think the manager bothers his backside with S&C and Fitness, that's all data handed to them.

Last edited:
Well it’s not Sean Dyche’s Everton. It’s Everton post 1996 with a few moments of exception under Moyes and Martinez’s first season.

There’s nothing new here that we didn’t see under Walker Smith Moyes (at times) Martinez, Koeman, Allardyce, Silva, Ancelotti, Benitez or Lampard. You’re acting as though we’ve never taken a bad loss at home, never had winless runs, never made some bad selections or had some bad players that kept getting selected.

What planet are you on if you think Sean Dyche has introduced this? This has been Everton in the 21st century more often than not. A few years under Moshiri aside which were wasted by Koeman we’ve not had a pot to piss in and have given managers different variants of utterly crap players for most of that period.

If it makes you feel better to think that this is some weird niche variant of Everton that’s only specific to Sean Dyche then the last 30 years would simply tell you that you’re badly wrong.
I dont think any of those other managers would have approached the match yesterday like Dyche did.

All the new players sat on the bench. Keane recalled to start. Holgate brought on to replace a winger. No change whatsoever to the front 4 who failed miserably last year.

I expect the manager to try and find solutions to problems, not revert back to the same personnel and tactics that have never worked and never will work.

Then the comments about experience in the interview rather than taking responsibility.

I just don't like it. He's not good enough to manage Everton. And the mentality is not going to improve us.

He's been in charge over 18 months and there's still no patterns of play or identifiable style to how we attack. We just smash diagonals, get the ball wide and then our delivery into the box is woeful. We have no pace to counter attack properly and our full backs barely cross half way.

There's no evidence he's coaching the team effectively in training.

We do have patterns of play, you may not like them, but we do.

well as we have already agreed on last season, his one and only full season at the club I'm not really sure what the rest of your arguement is then??? my original point was that last season some people ( not saying you are ) are stating we stayed up because of dyche, when we SHOULD have stayed up anyway as the teams belw us where genuinely terrible.

season before last, yes they both had decent squads, but they also had terrible managers hence why they made changes at the end of the season.

regarding fans over valueing players, mate i think you are on a different forum if think that ( apart from DCL who some fans and goats on here do )

sacking managers isnt always the answer though, but the fact remains he ISNT the long term answer, and as soon as a new owner comes in with even half a plan, he'll be gone anyway. i'd rather have moyes back an on interim basis than watch and listen to this man anymore

I put this squad somewhere between 13-15th the other week (transfers still to be made of course could change that) and I said that’s reliant on the best players staying fit all season.

That still means most teams in the PL have a better squad than us. There’s no getting away from this regardless of what we think about the manager. Our squad is miles off Newcastle Villa West Ham Spurs Chelsea and these are clubs who might not even be in the top 4.

We’re somewhere around Wolves and Bournemouth in the lower mid table ahead of the three promoted clubs and maybe Brentford.

I feel like loads of people have misinterpreted what he's actually saying here..

It isn't a dig at the fans - it's actually the opposite. He's saying that we have expectations and if they aren't met we'll walk out. It's more a dig at the players/himself if anything.

Hahahaaha yeah alright, because he famously takes responsibility for things.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back