2024/25 Sean Dyche

23/24 first 4 games were Fulham (H), Villa (A), Wolves (H) and Sheffield United (A). Scored 2 and conceded 8. xG was ~8, xGA was ~8. xP was ~6.

24/25 first 4 games were Brighton (H), Spurs (A), Bournemouth (H) and Villa (A). Scored 4 and conceded 13. xG is ~4.5, xGA is ~10.5 and xP is ~2.

I would argue that the first 4 this season are tougher than the first 4 last season.

I do think though as you say, we looked better last season in those first few games, particularly against Fulham and Wolves.
Yeah but what was the possession in those games?

Behave. Clearly not saying that.

I'm saying i'd take it, because - like the bookies - I think relegation is a very real danger.

I think all that matters is staying up and getting to Bramley Moore with new owners as a PL team.

We had a poor transfer window, another window in which we didn't invest and it'll show.

No depth, and we're seeing the reality of that.

A lack of ability in the final third has dictated relegation scrap for years. We've sold Onana (doing pretty well at Villa eh?!) and gambled on NDiaye and Lindstrom. I don't think they're enough to take a team thats been starring at relegation for 3 years, to anywhere but the same position,
Onana only played around 60% of our league minutes last season and he wasnt pulling up any trees in the system he was deployed. How he is doing at Villa so far perhaps not a fair reflection of his contribution for Everton.

So far NDiaye has shown flashes of what's largely been absent since the waiter castrated the creativity out of the squad. Lindstrom hasn't looked like adding anything..yet.

Despite the quality of the squad it absolutely should not be anywhere near one of the favourites to go down. That's on the coaching and management of the side imo.

For me it's ok to do that knowing DCL is very good to win those aerial duels, but the problem is we only do that, not mix up the play....
Absolutely he is yea, but when he's not on the pitch we should definitely not be doing that. We're just passing it back to them then. It really highlights Dyche's limitations that we never mix it up. That and his subs.

Anyway, pointless, bit strange seeing it but interesting to see we have fans being okay with rock bottom and a manager who keeps talking about how we've got the worst football squad since the inception of the sport and the great things he did at Burnley half a decade ago.
Who are all these fans saying they are happy to be rock bottom with no points?

Anyway, pointless, bit strange seeing it but interesting to see we have fans being okay with rock bottom and a manager who keeps talking about how we've got the worst football squad since the inception of the sport and the great things he did at Burnley half a decade ago.
Apathy.

We are getting to the point where we are not giving a F anymore.

Following the lead of the decision makers.

This is very much at odds with what @GrandOldTeam is saying, where we should see 17th as an achievement because we’re one of the worst 3 teams in the league.

I’m struggling with the Dyche fans here tbh, I’m getting mixed messages. What is a reasonable expectation for this season? Personally I don’t think it’s unfair to expect 12th because that’s where we finished last season without deductions, and we haven’t weakened the squad over the summer.

Individual people have different thoughts and opinions? I think that tracks.

There's a lot of criticism asking for Dyche to be something he isn't (expansive, attacking etc). The criticism should be directed at something he should be excelling in: defending. That's the rub, that's why we are where we are, that's the worrying aspect of the start.

Just like last year we went through a run of giving up at least one set piece goal a match. These are the things you expect from him, defending, set pieces, and when the squad doesn't deliver it's on him. 13 goals in 4 matches is not down to details, it's not down to individual mistakes. It's 13 freaking goals in 4 matches. That's a pace worse than Sheffield United. It's completely unacceptable and it's entirely on him.

There was a fella sat not far from myself screaming abuse at Young coming on mate.

Young does not pick himself and is only at the club due to our dire finances.

These minority of fans should be ashamed of themselves. Plenty of fans who can't get a ticket who would be creating a positive atmosphere during the match. The club should start confiscating tickets from the worst offenders.

Lovely words tellmema.

I doubt it will happen due to his links to Usmanov, but I would be delighted if the club were to honour him at the new stadium. I wouldnt go as far as naming a stand after him, I do however think a statue or plaque at the entrance to the ground would be appropriate.

Fans underestimate just how much the new stadium will help us. Without Moshiri = no BMD.

How's your statue going Farhad? Is it expensive and as you say.. we need the money

Standards are so low because some people have bought into the nonsense he spouts and think he's a miracle worker for getting us to 48 points with a £100m cb. Without Branthwaite, he would’ve been sacked long ago.

His comment, "I was pleased with the team's performance from the off," just shows his lack of insight, he's a Neanderthal fraud who's really not that arsed about the club or the supporters, For a manager with such a low win percentage, he certainly oozes arrogance.
It's actually funny how the Media regularly praise him and often imply we are lucky to have him but then slate Ange Postecoglou for saying 'I always win something in my second season' which is a fact.
When mediocrity is praised, below par is what you get

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back