Sheedy on Moyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
It genuinely is a coincidence that Sheedy has his autobiography coming out next month. I know the natural reaction is to think he's doing it for publicity, but knowing Sheedy, this isn't the publicity he normally goes in for, and I'm sure the club aren't happy with him.

As for Mustafi earlier, the player discarded by Moyes. Some interesting comments by him in this interview. Backs up what Sheedy was saying about Moyes employing a long ball style of play:

Mustafi puts that consistency of performance down to Rossi’s successor Sinisa Mihajlovic recognising his strengths and playing to them. “Since he came in, us defenders are playing the ball more. And I’m happy because it’s also what they ask me to do [for Germany] at Under-21 level,” Mustafi said. “In reality I already did it in Hamburg’s youth system because it’s part of the German school. Then I went to England and everything changed. There, a lot of teams play kick and run. Like Everton, where I moved. Now I’ve gone back [to my original game].”

That’s not necessarily a criticism. Mustafi added parts to his game in England that weren’t there before. He makes every high ball his own. “That’s credit to my experience at Everton,” he said. “It’s like that in English football. If you aren’t reactive to balls in the air, opposing strikers make a complete arse out of you.”

http://www.whoscored.com/Articles/otmfvxcu1eu5jhzzlxwazw/Show

Adam Forshaw - impressive for Brentford, and yesterday named League 1 Player of the Year.
Shkodran Mustafi - impressive for Sampdoria in Serie A, and just been called up into the Germany national squad.

Both released for nothing by Moyes.

John Ruddy - 3rd choice keeper at Everton, sold to Norwich, became a Premier League keeper and probably going to the World Cup with England.
Ross Barkley - couldn't get a game under Moyes. Now on the verge of the England World Cup squad.

There's 4 names, 3 of which needlessly discarded.

Not many for 10 years?

Did you enjoy Seamus Coleman's winner at the weekend? How about John Stone's performance?

Moyes give them a chance (buying Stones when he did), no?

Adam Forshaw - impressive for Brentford, and yesterday named League 1 Player of the Year.
Shkodran
Mustafi - impressive for
Sampdoria in Serie A, and just been
called up into the Germany national
squad.

Both released for nothing by

John Ruddy - 3rd choice keeper at

Everton, sold to Norwich, became a
Premier League keeper and probably
going to the World Cup with England.

Ross Barkley - couldn't get a game
under Moyes. Now on the verge of the
England World Cup squad.
There's 4 names, 3 of which needlessly discarded.

Mustafi - I don't know the full circumstances of why he left - maybe he wasn't settled in England? Maybe he would have had the odd game for us if we'd kept him.

Forehaw - Top 6 in the Prem is a world away from League 1. I'd be surprised if he makes it at the level we operate at.

Ruddy - Simply nowhere near as good as Howard for me, and says a lot about the standard of English goalkeeping if he goes to the world cup.

Barkley - should have played more, but we've seen him cost us just about as many goals as he's helped us score IMO.

Coleman obv got the game time, Stones would've as well

BOTH DEFENDERS, the making of Seamus was Moyes going though imo and was evident in the game against England when with the shackles off the whole country got to see what he could do.

Ironically, Coleman improved defensively once Moyes went. Which seems at odds with the general perception of Martinez as an attacking coach and Moyes as a dour defensive coach.

Not many for 10 years?

Did you enjoy Seamus Coleman's winner at the weekend? How about John Stone's performance?

Moyes give them a chance (buying Stones when he did), no?

Stones wouldn't have made the number of appearances under Moyes that he has under Martinez. Similarly, Coleman only got a run at right back because attacking supremo Tony Hibbert was injured. Imagine how good Seamus could have been given the chance at RB earlier on.

Taking aside whether it was the best way to go about it or not, the fact remains that Sheedy has spoken his mind here.

He said Moyes had no interest in the youth team so that will make for lengthy discussion for Man U fans and papers.

People keeping saying stones and coleman, right, Stones never played a game under Moyes, not one. He may have bought him but that's about it.

As for coleman, he played him because he was forced to, he had no other options. As soon as he did get other options coleman was loaned out.

People keeping saying stones and coleman, right, Stones never played a game under Moyes, not one. He may have bought him but that's about it.

Deadline day at good cost - incurring the wrath of many fans for it. He was never going to be in the first team last season.

As for coleman, he played him because he was forced to, he had no other options. As soon as he did get other options coleman was loaned out.

/Sigh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back