Sheedy on Moyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coleman was bought by Moyes, not brought through the ranks.
Stones was bought by Moyes in January but didn't make his debut until Martinez was in charge.

Yes?

Coleman - a no mark in a no mark league. Moyes signed him and played him. He wasn't afraid to give him that chance, suggesting if the academy was producing players good enough, Moyes would have played them.

Stones - A deadline day signing when the pressure was on and Moyes brought him in. Doesn't give youth a chance? Then why sign a teenager from Barnsley for £3m? He was never going to feature last season, he needed to bed in and have a pre-season behind him.

Would he have been in that position at that stage of the game though ?
Or be the highest scoring defender in the prem ?

Completely different point.

Let go of him mate, join the queue and put yer preds on, it's like Alton Towers at the mo, as soon as you've had a go you race back to join the line again.

It's not me that needs to let go pal - bitterness is clearly clouding judgement here.

In the words of Neil Warnock, Moyes sent him to Leeds and said to 'give him no responsibility whatsoever'.

Sums up his opinion when it comes to youth players really.

TBF, I'd kind of agree with him there, certainly at the time he said it. Barkley is a great player, we can all see that, but he's a great player going forward. Even at the weekend when he came on, he gave the ball away a few times. He's learning to take responsibility, but he'll learn that at his own pace, naturally, he doesn't need to have his confidence destroyed by forcing it on him.

As for the rest of all this, we are better off without Moyes, not least because of the change in perception of what we can do and how we can play, but a lot of good came from Moyes, and dont forget it. He was right for us at the time he came in, I doubt that Martinez's effect would of been so keenly felt had he of joined us at the time when Moyes did.

He's been an utter cheesy bell whiff since leaving us, but dont let that detract from the fact that even though he probabaly outstayed his welcome by a few years, he put the groundwork in of this team.

Personally, Sheedy should of left this for a more controlled environment, for eg, if asked a direct question during an interview. Wouldnt surpise me though if he never eben knew it was going global, judging by previous tweets, its not as if he's the most ITK on how twitter works.

In the words of Neil Warnock, Moyes sent him to Leeds and said to 'give him no responsibility whatsoever'.

Your now using Neil Warnock as a stick to beat Moyes with?

The same Neil Warnock who sent Ross Barkley packing because he wasn't good enough for Leeds?

Moyes insisted he played regularly, Warnock wouldn't give him the game time - hence his recall.

The United boss said: “I spoke to David and Ross but I can’t guarantee playing him – and I did say I would do that when I took him.

“It’s only fair to them that he gets first-team football.

“You’ve got to be straightforward with each other and I couldn’t guarantee him that.

I agree with you, Moyes was ok with the kids, kind of his job. But his cautious nature will mean at times, he wont 'risk' the kids, and would plimp for older/wiser heads.

Its not like we can name 5 or 6 players that were chomping at the bit to get into our first team !!!
It's clear Moyes was risk averse for a lot of the time. But that might actually benefit some players, giving them time to develop and learn. Obviously it doesn't work for all players and a few have left to get regular game time and all credit to them for it. But are we really missing out?

perhaps cos not enough effort was being put into the academy?
also i dont think jagielka ever played for our academy, just the u-14 team

Possibly.

But possibly the academy aren't producing good enough players? Forcing the Club to pick p youngsters elsewhere (Coleman, Stones...)

Also in the words of Neil Warnock," the lad wasn't going to get a start ahead of who we already had, so I agreed with David to send him back" - the players in question being, Michael Brown and Tonge.....

Nice one Sheedy, need more stuff like this in the run up to Moyes coming back to Goodison. What Sheedy is saying was well know at the time but no one was saying it so public, shame really, Moyes got away with so much at Goodison. No place to hide now

Not many for 10 years?

Did you enjoy Seamus Coleman's winner at the weekend? How about John Stone's performance?

Moyes give them a chance (buying Stones when he did), no?

My beef with the whole Moyes era on the youth side of things is precisely that we didn't have many young players come through in his decade at the club.

When we don't have much money, having a couple of England quality youngsters coming through could have been a real boost, but that never really happened. As the manager, Moyes has to take a degree of responsibility for that as well.

After the Rooney gift he was bestowed with when he joined, the only other player that came through and progressed to the national team was Rodwell. Now that's not many for 10 years.

Who is the captain of the youth team here?

george-green-everton.ashx

George Green?

Ah yes...

Harry Redknapp believed he had secured the sought-after teen for Tottenham, but David Moyes requested a personal chat in the manager’s office at Goodison Park and convinced Green to move to Merseyside instead.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...egends-Gascoigne-Rooney-IN-THE-SPOTLIGHT.html

Everton have agreed a £2million deal to sign 15-year-old Bradford midfielder George Green, who has been hailed as the next Gazza.

David Moyes spent virtually nothing on transfer fees this summer but beaten a host of Barclays Premier league clubs to land Green.

Tottenham were thought to be leading the race for Green, and Bayern Munich were also in the running.

Green will cost Everton £350,000 up front, and add-ons could bring the overall cost of the transfer up to the £2m mark.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...erton-sign-Bradford-starlet-George-Green.html

Doesn't give youth a chance but where spending big chunks of our transfer budget on players for that youth team? Moyes suspect handling of players I accept, but not him neglecting youth or simply not giving youth the time of day.

Disagree. Signed in January 2009, a quick loan and nasty pre-season injury and made 40 appearances in 2010–11 and an ever present since. Check those appearances: http://www.evertonfc.com/player-profile/seamus-coleman

Not bad when you consider the level he was playing at before we signed him.

There are plenty of sticks to hit Moyes with if you must, his handling of youth isn't high on that list. In ten years, none have left the academy an excelled elsewhere. The same can't be said prior to that - when Baines, Jagielka and plenty of others left...
His handling of youth is right at the top of the list, he showed zero confidence in them, and had little interest, even if the youth staff were telling him to take an interest, moyes played coleman out of position till his confidence was nearly drained, and the fans were almost turning on him, he was then forced to play him RB due to his favourites being injured, a position many fans including myself had said he should be playing for years, he's a hit there, and a sucess inspite of moyes

Saying Moyes mis-handled Coleman's development is a revision too far. Seamus was the raw-est of talents when he came over - he said himself in that interview that he couldn't believe the technical level of players like Jose Baxter (even) in training, and that he felt like there was massive ground to be made up. To play at his current level from that starting point is a superb achievement - and vindicates the cautious approach in his case. I mean you can say Moyes did it by accident if you like, but no way is the timescale wrong for where Seamus is today. He would have been making serious mistakes right, left and centre if he'd played more in his early years with us, which would have buried his confidence.

If anyone's looking for (another) stick to beat Moyes with then his management of Baines in the early days doesn't reflect well on him. An obvious class player who just needed a bit of nurturing - could easily have gone wrong there given how he was sidelined with Lescott playing left back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back