Silly Season January 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton should focus on signing young talent with a long term view of building a competitive squad in the next 3 years -
I don't want to go to Europe for a day just to say I have been there -
our present squad is too small to carry the additional burden of Europe -
we might just get ourselves relegated if we get hit by a lot of injuries due to the extra work load -
so please - no stop gap players for me to resque the season - build the squad with promising talent
build a team of players who loves working with Martinez and playing for Everton -
if we want to go big then we must Seriously Go Big on a sustainable basis

Maybe, but the pressure to hold onto talented young players from predators would be intolerable.

I know where you're coming from, but it's like painting the Forth Bridge that 'solution': you finish one end and you have to start the other end again.

To be honest, if we get Johnny off our books I'll be happy. £60k a week?!?!?!? Jesus wept.

As for our striker problem, I'm liking the idea of Mirallas up front, Del and McGeady on the wings with Ross behind Kev.

Would be made up with a defensive mid in this window though - although I won't hold my breath.

Everton should focus on signing young talent with a long term view of building a competitive squad in the next 3 years -
I don't want to go to Europe for a day just to say I have been there -
our present squad is too small to carry the additional burden of Europe -
we might just get ourselves relegated if we get hit by a lot of injuries due to the extra work load -
so please - no stop gap players for me to resque the season - build the squad with promising talent
build a team of players who loves working with Martinez and playing for Everton -
if we want to go big then we must Seriously Go Big on a sustainable basis

I get what you mean, but when it comes to building a squad we have to start fresh every summer when our loanees return back to their parent clubs. I know loans have been an effective scouting tool and stop-gap measure in the past (arteta, pienaar, donovan, etc) but people keep saying that we need to give Martinez time to build a squad. How can we say he's taking his time to build his squad when we haven't brought in very many permanent signings that look like they can contribute.

Not having a go at Martinez, I just don't buy the idea that biding our time right now is the smart thing to do. United aren't going to be crap next season, this is our best chance at 4th, and getting to the group stage is a bigger payday than the entire europa league anyways

Probably old news but for anyone not sat in front of the box watching SSN, the bloke stood outside FF has said we're 'franticly trying to tie up a deal' behind the scenes.

Maybe, but the pressure to hold onto talented young players from predators would be intolerable.

I know where you're coming from, but it's like painting the Forth Bridge that 'solution': you finish one end and you have to start the other end again.

The other problem is it's almost impossible to tell at that age if they'll make it.

You have to cast a wide net and hope 1 out of every ten becomes a starter. For every Coleman or Stones there's a gueye and a silva and a jukebox and a mustafi and a gosling, etc. It's a low cost, low reward strategy.

Even arsenal who hoover up hundreds of kids, tend to only get one new first teams player every couple of years.

Buying proven quality, who are already playing at decent level, is the only way to guarantee you get it and that costs money.

According to Sky the wheels are turning re transfers at Goodison - doesn't mean to say it will happen

Wheels turning?

ku-xlarge.gif

I wonder if i can go through a full 12 hours shift in work without so much as a rumour of a player that press conferences or David O Keefe can ruin.

Reading the last few pages, we have money for transfers in the summer but we need to get rid of Heitinga before we bring someone else in this window.

That's sounds a bit silly, we need players now not in the summer.

The other problem is it's almost impossible to tell at that age if they'll make it.

You have to cast a wide net and hope 1 out of every ten becomes a starter. For every Coleman or Stones there's a gueye and a silva and a jukebox and a mustafi and a gosling, etc. It's a low cost, low reward strategy.

Even arsenal who hoover up hundreds of kids, tend to only get one new first teams player every couple of years.

Buying proven quality, who are already playing at decent level, is the only way to guarantee you get it and that costs money.

Also, Martinez preferred method is to get those from the 18-21 age group and give them experience at a good level to bring them through to the first team. He's quite adamant that they not be rushed into the first team before serving a long apprenticeship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back