Squad rebuild 50% complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zatara

Player Valuation: £90m
In light of the recent criticisms of Brands / Silva I feel that we should look again at the number of players still needing to be offloaded.

The players whose contracts should be assessed (in my view) are Gibson / Sidibe / Keane / Kenny / Bernard. The rest of them I believe will be gone over the next 4 windows:

Stekelenburg
Martina
Niasse
Baines
Gibson
Sidibe (loan expiry)

Walcott
Schneiderlin
Besic
Sandro
Bolasie
Dowell
Pennington
Connolly

Lossl
Keane
Sigurdsson
Holgate
Coleman
Tosun
Delph
Baningime
Bernard
Kenny

Over the next 2.5 seasons there are 24 players whose contracts (unless extended) will be leaving the club.

Of those 24 players only 5 or 6 I feel have any chance of getting extensions.

Out of the remaining 18 or 19 players, lets say 14/15 of them will be departing having been on 1st team squad wages.

If we actually look at the current size of our squad without those 14/15 players;

GK
Pickford
Virginia

RB
Sidibe
Kenny

LB
Digne

CB
Mina
Keane
Gibson

CM
Davies
Gbamin
Gomes

AM
Richarlison
Bernard
Iwobi

CF
Kean
Calvert-Lewin

Even some of the 16 above players may not be kept on, so it shows how much of a job Brands and Silva still have on their hands.

If we actually drill down further, these are the players who have shown consistently (in my opinion),or it is expected that they can stay in the squad over a long term period:

GK - Pickford
RB -
LB - Digne
CB - Mina
DM - Gbamin
CM - Davies / Gomes
AM - Iwobi / Richarlison / Bernard
CF - Kean / DCL

Arguably thats 11 players 'expected' to be in Brands / Silvas plans for the long term.

So, in defence of the management I would urge patience when claiming that the manager has 'his' squad or even 'his' team.

That is clearly not the case.

Over the last 3 windows we are about 50% through the squad rebuild.

It is my view that we will be able to see great strides made at the end of summer 2021 with the full effects of the rebuild in 2022.

Our goal over this period should be to finish 7th and above and push for a cup win. Any higher than that and we will be over performing and any closer to having 5 new long term players in the first team squad per season will also be over performing.

We will need to be patient.

In light of the recent criticisms of Brands / Silva I feel that we should look again at the number of players still needing to be offloaded.

The players whose contracts should be assessed (in my view) are Gibson / Sidibe / Keane / Kenny / Bernard. The rest of them I believe will be gone over the next 4 windows:

Stekelenburg
Martina
Niasse
Baines
Gibson
Sidibe (loan expiry)

Walcott
Schneiderlin
Besic
Sandro
Bolasie
Dowell
Pennington
Connolly

Lossl
Keane
Sigurdsson
Holgate
Coleman
Tosun
Delph
Baningime
Bernard
Kenny

Over the next 2.5 seasons there are 24 players whose contracts (unless extended) will be leaving the club.

Out of the remaining 18 or 19 players, lets say 14/15 of them will be departing having been on 1st team squad wages.

If we actually look at the current size of our squad without those 14/15 players;

GK
Pickford
Virginia

RB
Sidibe
Kenny

LB
Digne

CB
Mina
Keane
Gibson

CM
Davies
Gbamin
Gomes

AM
Richarlison
Bernard
Iwobi

CF
Kean
Calvert-Lewin

Even some of the 16 above players may not be kept on, so it shows how much of a job Brands and Silva still have on their hands.

If we actually drill down further, these are the players who have shown consistently (in my opinion),or it is expected that they can stay in the squad over a long term period:

GK - Pickford
RB -
LB - Digne
CB - Mina
DM - Gbamin
CM - Davies / Gomes
CF - Kean / DCL

Arguably thats 11 players 'expected' to be in Brands / Silvas plans for the long term.

So, in defence of the management I would urge patience when claiming that the manager has 'his' squad or even 'his' team.

It is my view that we will be able to see great strides made at the end of summer 2021 with the full effects of the rebuild in 2022.

Our goal over this period should be to finish 7th and above and push for a cup win. Any higher than that and we will be over performing and any closer to having 5 new long term players in the first team squad per season will also be over performing.

Davis and DCL out and we will be moving in the right direction

Davis and DCL out and we will be moving in the right direction

I think Davies was very good yesterday and has been tried in a new deeper role with England u21s as well...good reviews.

Its also important to note that we need home grown players to fulfill the criteria.

Davies as an option in CM and DCL as 3rd choice forward when we need to hold onto a result are fine with me...

Looking at my figures, we really need to pad out the squad with youth or else its going to cost a fortune to rebuild into a top 4 side.

I think Davies was very good yesterday and has been tried in a new deeper role with England u21s as well...good reviews.

Its also important to note that we need home grown players to fulfill the criteria.

Davies as an option in CM and DCL as 3rd choice forward when we need to hold onto a result are fine with me...

Looking at my figures, we really need to pad out the squad with youth or else its going to cost a fortune to rebuild into a top 4 side.

Davies gives a 6-7/10 performance when the team plays well. More news at the hour.

DCL should be nowhere near the squad.

The reality is that as soon as we introduced true quality to the team again - Gomes and Bernard - we started motoring.

Davies gives a 6-7/10 performance when the team plays well. More news at the hour.

DCL should be nowhere near the squad.

The reality is that as soon as we introduced true quality to the team again - Gomes and Bernard - we started motoring.

Tbh building a squad thesedays involves having the fringe players who cover the home grown rule + can come on if needed and perform a task.

If Davies can come in to follow instructions and DCL the same then im happy for them to be in the squad. Even United had some fringe players who went onto play for sunderland but were picking up medals for the club.

My numbers suggest that including those two we have 11 players out of a 25 man long term squad...

From now including the 2021 summer we have 4 windows to change around 14 players, this gives us the 2022 summer window with a lot of high earning dross finally out the door where we csn add some sprinkles of top talent with the wages off the books.

It may be that then is the time you get your wish, but simply due to the numbers required i think its prudent to keep them in the squad.

My hope is that Gibson signs a new deal, Kenny develops well in Germany and Gordon steps into the squad...if they show theyre capable.

Its all a numbers game at the end of the day

Stekelenburg
Martina
Niasse
Baines
Gibson
Sidibe (loan expiry)

Walcott
Schneiderlin
Besic
Sandro
Bolasie
Dowell
Pennington
Connolly

Lossl
Keane
Sigurdsson
Holgate
Coleman
Tosun
Delph
Baningime
Bernard
Kenny

GK
Pickford
Virginia

RB
Sidibe
Kenny

LB
Digne

CB
Mina
Keane
Gibson

CM
Davies
Gbamin
Gomes

AM
Richarlison
Bernard
Iwobi

CF
Kean
Calvert-Lewin

GK - Pickford
RB -
LB - Digne
CB - Mina
DM - Gbamin
CM - Davies / Gomes
CF - Kean / DCL

You need a life

Status
Not open for further replies.