Stature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubey

Allardyce Out
Following on from a discussion in the match thread that has honestly taken me by surprise, so a genuine question for the younger fans.

Do you genuinely feel that winning the League Cup (or ANY cup for that matter) is a prerequisite for Everton to be an established big club?

The reason I ask is because I understand we haven't won anything since 1995 and that is now an entire life for an 18 year old lad, so I wonder how much influence the history and prestige of the club has on how you view yourself as an Evertonian.

Now, I'm not deluded. I know we're not a successful footballing giant in the modern era like Manchester United, or even to a lesser extent Liverpool. Or one of the nouveau riche Chelsea and Man City, who could be argued to be "bigger" depending on your criteria.

But I'm alarmed at the absolute panic at not playing a full strength side in a League Cup game in a transitional season following a good start in the league? See, for me, we're still a massive football club, and the focus will always be above and beyond the League Cup.

So... yeah, are younger people seriously in meltdown over going out of the League Cup or is this just temporary over the top kneejerking?

No, people want Everton to win trophies because that's the entire aim of football.

We're in three competitions this season and we obviously won't win the league. The fact you don't care whether we win the league cup or not is baffling.

No, people want Everton to win trophies because that's the entire aim of football.

We're in three competitions this season and we obviously won't win the league. The fact you don't care whether we win the league cup or not is baffling.

OK to get things straight early on:

I want Everton to win everything they play in. I just don't think we should be focussing on winning the League Cup.

I think the manager is right to rotate his squad for a competition that is much less important than the other two we're in.

Just so people don't start saying things about me that aren't true, again.

I want Everton to win everything they play in. I just don't think we should be focussing on winning the League Cup.

I think the manager is right to rotate his squad for a competition that is much less important than the other two we're in.

Just so people don't start saying things about me that aren't true, again.

For the record, I think this competition is more important than the league.

we've always had a poor record in the league cup

But i'd take winning it every year over nothing

We all would, but that's not the question I'm asking - I'm asking whether it's an absolute necessity to win any trophy to feel like a big club or a club of relevance in the modern game?

Because, for me, I feel Everton are relevant regardless. Yes, would love it if we cleaned the board, won the league, etc. but I'm still proud to say I support a big club without feeling deluded in the slightest, because the history is there to back the claim up.

Just so people don't start saying things about me that aren't true, again

OH GOD DADDY YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND MY EMOTIONS!!!

You've got to focus to win anything. Focus on every game and play your best team unless you've got an important one coming up soon. We've got Newcastle at home after having two days off more than most teams.

For the record, I think this competition is more important than the league.

shock-gif.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.