Stature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye, but he didn't so we are.

Think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. You see a chance for getting players match fit, I see a weakened side losing a winnable game in a winnable competition for the third time in four years.

Fair enough matey (y)

I agree with Tubes we pretty much had to play that XI and would've been worried if we hadn't. You can't really say that it was a b-string with the likes of Mucha, Gueye, Duffy, Neville, McFadden et co. It was a decent side who were unlucky not to win. Any cup is worth winning, especially the Seventh Place Trophy, but we are in a transitional season and we need to try different things in a low risk competitive environment. At the end of the day in a cup you only need to lose one game for it to be for nothing, where three points in the league is 5% of what's needed for Europe in the league and arguably worth a ball park figure of a million in prizes paid for end position.

By all means give playing time to the fringe players against lesser opposition (yeah, like thats worked out before )

But doing it against a premiership team is beyond stupid,,,, its just stupid.

Fulham are a lesser opposition arent they? With respect to them, do we expect them to be battling it out with us come the end of the season?

I'm upset that we lost.

And, since we lost, I'm looking at where we could have done better. And the fact we didn't have certain players on the pitch and they weren't bought on in the second half I think is part of the reason. I think martinez got his subs wrong more then he got his starting line up wrong, if I'm honest. We didn't react well to Fulham turning the game around. He took too long to introduce Mirallas and should have used barkley.

Obviously I don't know that if Martinez had bought on barkley rather than jagileka at 2-1 we'd have done better but I do know that what he tried didn't work.

I am upset too mate...I really am.

I guess my frustration comes from the kneejerkers who hands down stated that the loss was 100% on the manager and his selection...which, a lot of folks here on GOT stated in the match thread. The subs were essentially like for like...Gibson/Barry...Heitinga/Jags...Naismith/Mirallas. However, I can see your point that maybe a change of formation and bringing on Barkley could have been a difference maker. Could have made us weaker in defense and we could have conceded another goal too. ;)

I am upset too mate...I really am.

I guess my frustration comes from the kneejerkers who hands down stated that the loss was 100% on the manager and his selection...which, a lot of folks here on GOT stated in the match thread. The subs were essentially like for like...Gibson/Barry...Heitinga/Jags...Naismith/Mirallas. However, I can see your point that maybe a change of formation and bringing on Barkley could have been a difference maker. Could have made us weaker in defense and we could have conceded another goal too. ;)

We didn't have to take off heitinga though if you wanted to go like for like.

I think the fact we were quite close to winning is why people aren't just writing it off as a bad night.

If we'd maybe kept one more first teamer in or made a more attacking sub or made a sub ten minutes that might have been all it needed. We weren't miles off the pace.

You under estimate any team at your peril lad, bein a bit harsh on a decent outfit like Fulham there.

nahh average at best.

They will never be more than that until they learn how to stop giving away 3 points every time they hit the road.

Top half finish for them would be a storming season.

Dont know about you, but I have higher aspirations for our boys in blue.

I think the fact we were quite close to winning is why people aren't just writing it off as a bad night.

If we'd maybe kept one more first teamer in or made a more attacking sub or made a sub ten minutes that might have been all it needed. We weren't miles off the pace.

I do agree with this...in fact, I still say we were unlucky to not win.

nahh average at best.

They will never be more than that until they learn how to stop giving away 3 points every time they hit the road.

Does how bad they are away from home matter when we were playing them at craven cottage, though?

nahh average at best.

We went about 50 years without beating them a the Cottage, & I think we've only done them there twice since God was in short trousers mate.

nahh average at best.

So you do agree the team selection was the reason we lost,, thanks, but dont know about you, i want to win every game we
play.
Funny how your higher aspirations for our boys in blue is to shrug off a defeat to a team you consider inferior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back