Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go away yourself and check some facts before you come out with garbage. He's had five full seasons playing for Boro not three.

If Gibson has genuinely turned down moves to top clubs because he's scared to move away from his family then he'll never make a top class player as that his simply not the right attitude. I doubt he has though.

I've never said he's not a good player, and I wasn't suggesting he'll never be an England player. The point (which seemingly sailed over your head like one of the passes teams would kill us with if we had this crab next to Keane) is that you were talking about him as if he's a player with potential, when the reality is he's basically entering his peak years right now, and is still playing in the Championship. He might go onto get 10 England caps, but I very much doubt he'll ever be a regular, because as well as the three I mentioned, you've now helpfully pointed out that he's also behind Tarkowski and Mawson who are the same age/younger.

If we were talking about paying £5m for him as a decent back up option i'd say good business, but he's absolutely not what we need at the moment. He's basically a clone of the defenders we currently have, and at the sort of fees being talked about would - in my opinion - be a continuation of the awful transfer business we have conducted in recent years.

I remember watching Gibson and RLC in the same game back in 2015, when the England U21s played at Oakwell.

Gibson partnered Stones at the back and I was impressed, but mainly in the sense - and I said this at the time - that he looked like a solid, decent defender in the Jagielka mould.

But, I don't think he's taken massive steps forward since then, and if he did come, I wouldn't want him as first choice. And, since I'd say we need 4 CBs maximum next season, then I'd rather the centre-back we sign be of real quality.

So far we are doing the transfer window exactly how we need to do it. Slowly let players go before looking at incoming

Truth be told considering how much deadwood we do have it makes no odds who goes and stays because it will take 2 seasons to truly rid ourselves of them all and replace anyone older (jags Baines).

So it will be nice if over the next few weeks we see another 4-5 players just go in the same vein as mori before we then announce who is coming in. Let Silva see the players first and see what areas he feels he is lacking rather than knee jerk signings because a west ham type team have bid.

I think in the past few years, can't think of a single player we have wanted who went to west ham stoke or even spurs and actually been a missed opportunity. So fingers crossed the new set up is actually competent and brands delivers Silva exactly what he needs rather than the Walsh approach of signing who Silva wants
We will definitely be talking to players and agents now. And I can see a couple coming in before pre-season. There is no way silva/Brands will wait until a few weeks into pre-season, that won’t give us much time. They made the mori decision before seeing him. So that probably tells you they already know a lot about the players and which ones they Will ship out.

There’s no way they will wait till near the end of the window to start making signings, we could have missed out on a number of our main targets by then.

I remember watching Gibson and RLC in the same game back in 2015, when the England U21s played at Oakwell.

Gibson partnered Stones at the back and I was impressed, but mainly in the sense - and I said this at the time - that he looked like a solid, decent defender in the Jagielka mould.

But, I don't think he's taken massive steps forward since then, and if he did come, I wouldn't want him as first choice. And, since I'd say we need 4 CBs maximum next season, then I'd rather the centre-back we sign be of real quality.
Agree with every word of that. He's a good, solid defender who you wouldn't mind having around, but really you should be able to bring players like him through your academy or get them for peanuts (eg Duffy/Holgate) not pay £25m for them.

I think if we're spending money on LB then it has to be for a long term Baines replacement, not a stop gap and that's all Cresswell would be.
I would go for Shaw at Man Utd then since Cresswell is not good enough, I just want our fans to be realistic, some of the shouts for players on here are hilarious Why has left back become so important ? Because Baines was mustard we need to replace like with like ? You can get by with a decent left back, I am more concerned with creative midfielders and a top draw striker (20+ goals a season).

Go away yourself and check some facts before you come out with garbage. He's had five full seasons playing for Boro not three.

If Gibson has genuinely turned down moves to top clubs because he's scared to move away from his family then he'll never make a top class player as that his simply not the right attitude. I doubt he has though.

I've never said he's not a good player, and I wasn't suggesting he'll never be an England player. The point (which seemingly sailed over your head like one of the passes teams would kill us with if we had this crab next to Keane) is that you were talking about him as if he's a player with potential, when the reality is he's basically entering his peak years right now, and is still playing in the Championship. He might go onto get 10 England caps, but I very much doubt he'll ever be a regular, because as well as the three I mentioned, you've now helpfully pointed out that he's also behind Tarkowski and Mawson who are the same age/younger.

If we were talking about paying £5m for him as a decent back up option i'd say good business, but he's absolutely not what we need at the moment. He's basically a clone of the defenders we currently have, and at the sort of fees being talked about would - in my opinion - be a continuation of the awful transfer business we have conducted in recent years.

On checking facts mate, he was in the England squad last year.

And i respectively reject your opinion on him as a player and Keane for that matter, lets agree to differ and what not.

I have a scoop frandels.

Well not really, my mate just posted pics of Rooney at Manchester Airport, returning from somewhere on facebook.

Think something will happen in the next few days.

I reckon we’ll be sticking with Jags at least one more season.

As nice as it would be to get rid of all the crap this summer it’s perhaps a bit unrealistic.

A few more to go this summer would be nice though.
Yeah, I think he’ll be here at the end of the window, too.

It’s a shame he doesn’t do the honourable thing and retire or drop down a division. Instead of remembering him as the good player he was with us, I’ll now remember for the player who stayed well past his sell by date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back