Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are right. It is fair to say that the top 6 would have been underwhelmed with the signings we have made and despite the large fees they all have something to prove before they can be considered top class players. They are all at a good age though so fingers crossed they can hit the ground running and can continue to develop
Attually that's not true, I heard on the echo Everton podcast that Man U have taken note and are worried about us breaking the top 4-6.

we arnt that far off we just lacked in key areas, midfield, goal keeper, defence and over the last 2 windows we sorted them area out.

It isn't about world class players it's about building a squad and team. Chelsea didn't buy 11 world class players when the became rich, they brought the best they could and won the league.

It took City 3 years and there a lot richer then us... Big whoop they signed Robinho... who though he signed for Chelsea.

We massively improved the 1st team with Keane and Pickford, Klas and Sandro, the jury still out on them but based on what I know about Sandro, he's gonna. E awesome

All this talk of 'would players get into such and such team' is pointless.

First of all, only arsed about Everton. But importantly, what I've noticed about our signings is that they are model pros. It doesn't matter arguing the talent of players to no end, but how well, when put together and properly managed, they work in a team.

Take Pickford barking orders at his defence in the u21 tournament. Williams is a leader, Keane is eager, Schneiderlin has a cool head, Gueye never stops. Sandro admits he likes to press and work for the team as well as get goals. Klaassen captained Ajax with great success. All these players had a great send off from their clubs because they know how professional they are.

When you compare these players with the attitude of Rom, iyou start to feel his loss wont be as impactful. Rooney would be a great leader for the young players as well. I think we are building at team that has a great blend of talent, experience and youthfulness with less and less damaging egos.

When you add in depth from the U23's, it looks like a very competitive squad

No he doesn't, Mourinho knows how to beat teams, he's a master tactician, probably the best at it in the world, that Man U squad is one of the worse they had in a decade and he still did the double.
They failed to gel and still won two trophies last season.

Point made.

Minus Rom and Ross though quite possibly, massive losses.

There needs to be some balance to the excitement of the ins, to what we might also lose.

If Rom and Ross go and Sandro and Klaassen are direct replacement, we've basically signed a new centre half (Stones) and a new keeper (10 years overdue).

We're doing alright, but miles to go in this window.

But the only certainties are the deals already done. There will be more incomings and outgoings between now and September, but until they've happened it's a fool's game trying to draw up a balance sheet.

It's not just the new arrivals we should be excited about. It's also the players who won the Premier League 2, and who starred in the U20 and U21 internationals last month. We have a squad with all kinds of potential.

With Davies and Klaassen pushing for places, Ross would not be an automatic starter next season if he stays. Time will tell which of the three players will prove the most valuable.

We don't have anyone yet who can replace Rom. My hunch is that it's more likely than not that Rom will leave us, and of course he's a massive loss to any team, but I also have a hunch that the team will do fine without him. If Rom is sold I predict we'll buy another couple of strikers in addition to Sandro.

It's what we did with Newcastle and Spurs a few seasons back.

Thing is Dave, they signed players for the sake of it - most in the same position.

What idiot fans of other clubs (and even more stupid pundits) are ignoring are that these players are ones that were needed to improve our starting XI.

Now, it's about bonus signings - depending on outs, obviously.

The general consensus amongst other fans seem to be that we are doing good business but not signing anyone who is going to take us to the next level, annoying to read but probably fairly accurate in all honesty.

Our squad still looks like 7th best in league and will probably still look like that even if we sell/keep Rom and Ross.

Im not really sure how we break into being serious/consistant top 4 contenders, seems like mission impossible... but Spurs managed it so i still have some hope.

edit: Anyone saying we are 1 great central defender (VVD) away from challenging from the title is living in cloud cuckooo land.

I know the fellas fifa rating must of rocketed while he was out injured for half the season. He's not a great centre half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back