Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not all about stats though Zat. I've seen Bolasie murder us at least twice at Goodison. We could have done with him in a few of our away games towards the end of last season. We would have been a lot closer to the top 6 had he been available.

I honestly think Bolasie is one of the worst wide players ive ever seen play for us.

You have Kilbane and Pembridge who were 'workmanlike' say 6/10 players....

This fella gets the ball, rolls his foot over it...runs forward and blasts it towards the penalty area head down.

Its like he doesn't think what to do...just wants to get his head down and run and whack the ball in the box at random.

Watching him and then seeing Lookman at the World cup (a supposedly similar player) the difference in decision making was silly.

Seems like a nice chap and I hope he gets over his injury but I don't see anyone offering half what we paid for him even in this market.

Removing Bolasie and Coleman as theyre crocked. Assuming we sign Sigurdsson;

Pickford/???
Kenny/Martina -- Keane/Holgate -- Williams/Jagielka -- Baines/???
Klaassen/Davies -- Schneiderlin/??? -- Gana/???
Rooney/Mirallas -- Sandro/DCL -- Sigurdsson/Lookman
Does this side look like it could challenge the top 4 to you (even if you include those ive omitted)?

Clearly we need a centre back, left back and a centre midfielder in there to rotate.

But the centre forward and right attacking slots are so weak compared to the left side if we signed Sigurdsson.

Even after Sigurdsson we would need 4 players and if we switched to a back 3 we wouldn't have the players.

Key for me is centre back and left back. We cant go into a season with these centre backs nor with one left back.

If we go with a 2 or a 3 were still in trouble defensively.

Stekelenburg, Martina lol , Williams, Jagielka are not names I'm eager to see protecting our goal.

Even though were only in mid July still I am a bit concerned that were linked strongly to Sigurdsson for such a huge amount and also giroud but aren't actually in talks for top defenders.

I expected Koeman to work with Walsh and bring in some class defenders with Keane...not Cuco

formation game Zat, who says we will stick to playing that formation, we could just as easily go 4-2-3-1

In fact i think if we get sigordsson and giroud in - then it'd suit the players we have better

formation game Zat, who says we will stick to playing that formation, we could just as easily go 4-2-3-1

In fact i think if we get sigordsson and giroud in - then it'd suit the players we have better

4231 or 4312 etc theyre just derivatives of the 433 really, its an easy formation and we can gauge the strength of the players there.

For me, if we do 70mil on Sigurdsson and Giroud when we have Lookman and Sandro there already would make us very strong in those two positions.

I hope its not to the detriment of signing top defensive players.

......Yorkshire Evening Post reporting Leeds United are close to signing Matthew Pennington on a season long loan. Leeds fans appear delighted with the acquisition.

4231 or 4312 etc theyre just derivatives of the 433 really, its an easy formation and we can gauge the strength of the players there.

For me, if we do 70mil on Sigurdsson and Giroud when we have Lookman and Sandro there already would make us very strong in those two positions.

I hope its not to the detriment of signing top defensive players.

The chances of us being able to fix EVERY single position this summer, both in terms of getting a quality starting 11 in every spot, AND having quality depth in every single position is hoping for the near impossible mate.

IF Giroud and Sigurddson arrive and we get in another cb - even at the calibre of say Gibson or Lemos, then we will have done massively better than i thought possible.

......Yorkshire Evening Post reporting Leeds United are close to signing Matthew Pennington on a season long loan. Leeds fans appear delighted with the acquisition.

think he will do well there tbh, well enough that next summer we will sell him for a decent fee, what he struggles with he won't face that much in that league of players who can spin him etc

Pickford/???
Does this side look like it could challenge the top 4 to you (even if you include those ive omitted)?

Clearly we need a centre back, left back and a centre midfielder in there to rotate.

But the centre forward and right attacking slots are so weak compared to the left side if we signed Sigurdsson.

Even after Sigurdsson we would need 4 players and if we switched to a back 3 we wouldn't have the players.

Key for me is centre back and left back. We cant go into a season with these centre backs nor with one left back.

Stekelenburg, Martina lol , Williams, Jagielka are not names I'm eager to see protecting our goal.

Even though were only in mid July still I am a bit concerned that were linked strongly to Sigurdsson for such a huge amount and also giroud but aren't actually in talks for top defenders.

I expected Koeman to work with Walsh and bring in some class defenders with Keane...not Cuco

There's nothing wrong with Williams or Baines for this season, when did they become disposable? Basic will rotate as the midfielder you need. Lennon, lookman and Mirallas (just signed his new contract) will be there if Barkley leaves. Plus both Rooney and Sandro play left or right.
I'd agree on a centre forward though.
Cover at left back will be Cuco or one of the kids. Jags is perfect for rotation this season, he still has enough in the locker to play part time.

[QUOTE="bluestevon, post: 5617333, member: 15811"]All the evidence so far shows atm he doesn't and rightly so mate, the one game he was targeted in last season he was exposed in as not being ready yet, and more than crouch it was aunautovic who exposed him badly in behind.

In a back four as cb, he'd have the striker pushing into him every game And it'd long term damage his development. The under 21s euros showed, if needed his current flaws also.

He's a talented young player but for a team aiming to try break into the top four he us miles away right now for being ready, as I said a good loan at a Burnley, Bournemouth or Brighton calibre team or even Newcastle with fat Rafael would do him wonders, either that or a top championship side.
Let his learning mistakes come on someone else's cost[/QUOTE]
Normally agree with you mate but I don't on this one. I don't believe he's as far away as you say. As a week in week out starter I'd agree, but we're talking about a back up here and barring injury, he'd be learning his trade against lesser opposition. Anyway, not going to fall out with you over it mate;).

Just one thing, the two comments I've highlighted above seem to contradict each other. Whether he's playing for us in a back 4, or one of the other 4 teams mentioned, he'd be playing against the same strikers who would presumably adopt the same tactics against him. Why would playing for us inflict long term damage to his development, but playing for one of the others do him wonders?

Pickford/???

Koeman knows a lot more about the squad than you do tbh and how do you know we aren't in talks with defenders? Bringing in 5 players, however good they are, can actually make the team worse because all the new players will have to learn to play together.

Anyway it is July lol

[QUOTE="bluestevon, post: 5617333, member: 15811"]All the evidence so far shows atm he doesn't and rightly so mate, the one game he was targeted in last season he was exposed in as not being ready yet, and more than crouch it was aunautovic who exposed him badly in behind.

In a back four as cb, he'd have the striker pushing into him every game And it'd long term damage his development. The under 21s euros showed, if needed his current flaws also.

He's a talented young player but for a team aiming to try break into the top four he us miles away right now for being ready, as I said a good loan at a Burnley, Bournemouth or Brighton calibre team or even Newcastle with fat Rafael would do him wonders, either that or a top championship side.
Let his learning mistakes come on someone else's cost
Normally agree with you mate but I don't on this one. I don't believe he's as far away as you say. As a week in week out starter I'd agree, but we're talking about a back up here and barring injury, he'd be learning his trade against lesser opposition. Anyway, not going to fall out with you over it mate;).

Just one thing, the two comments I've highlighted above seem to contradict each other. Whether he's playing for us in a back 4, or one of the other 4 teams mentioned, he'd be playing against the same strikers who would presumably adopt the same tactics against him. Why would playing for us inflict long term damage to his development, but playing for one of the others do him wonders?[/QUOTE]

Just a matter of the calibre of the team around him and in our team i think he'd stand out as a weak link mate, at the aforementioned teams he would be much closer or even better than some of the players around him, thus not targeted.

Also at a team that has lower expectations or aims, the cost of mistakes or poor games becomes lessened in many ways

I'd have Keane and Holgate rotating in that RCB position depending on the opposition. I really rate Holgate and if we play a high line he's ideal compared to plodders who keep us on the back foot.
Then the LCB slot in comparison has jags and Williams...
Big drop in quality for me.

It's like ive just been posting about left side of attack, if we sign Sigurdsson..
Sigurdsson and Lookman rotating on the left and Mirallas, perhaps Rooney then Bolasie on the right?
Big drop in quality again.

I do hope there are a few more signings as we look very strong in areas and then an injury away from a weakness in others,
Said pretty much the same in another post Zat. although Keane would definitely be first choice of the 2 and would start most premier games and even some of the tougher cup games.

Good luck to the lad!

That suggests we're definitely looking to bring in another CB. Can't see us starting the season with just Keane, Williams, Jags, Holgate & an injured Funes Mori.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back