The Big Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said this for years now. As fans, we need to be realistic.

We've hounded managers and players over the years because we've finished midtable. We all wanted Europe and demanded it. But we've never had a god given right to it. Next season, our expectations need to be set in reality. A mid table finish and continue building on it.

For me, we clear out the deadwood and any players who aren't up for the fight/will command big fees. We stop purchasing "big names" or expensive signings and we focus on bringing in hungry players. With a promise that, if they give us 2 or 3 solid seasons, we'll help them progress to a club in Europe etc. We sell them for profit and use the money to bring in another 2 or 3 hungry players. Players in the short term will see us as a stepping stone.

This ensures we have players turning up every game to impress and fight. No more players sitting on a fat wage.

We also need to ensure we have a concrete 11. This season has seen us switch players almost every game. The defenders haven't become settled with each other. The midfield hasn't. They need to bond and get to know each other on the pitch.

Give Frank 3 years, no meltdowns and tantrums when we're not in Europe after a season. Build and progress.
I think we need to learn from this relegation fight and bring the awakened passion and love for the club with us no matter what. Lets enjoy and be proud of being Toffees and our players(whoever they may be) will enjoy and be proud to be Toffees. We do that, and we won't be near a relegation fight. Build on that above all else! COYB

This terrible season can prove to be a turning point for the club and team.

We now have an energised manager, passionate crowd and we've seen who the fighters are in the squad and who's time has been reached.

I want us to build on what has emerged under Lampard and we simply must be realistic about what can be achieved and set realistic targets. I'd be looking for 50pts next season and 11th place but it's achieved with a younger team with a clear and consistent playing style.

Tosun, Siggy and Delph are at the end of their contracts and time is up for Roncon, Gomes, Kenny, Holgate, Townsend and, sadly, Mina and Coleman.

So that means finding a RB, 2xCB, 2xCMs and 2xCF. Reminds me of the good old days of the 70s/80s where we'd bring in 3-4 players on a single day.

UTFT

Very interesting comments from Lampard last evening. I'm paraphrasing but it was along the lines of we may have to be creative and do things differently in the summer.
I take that to mean sacrificing a couple of our few assets to rebuild.
I'm.sure that 2 of Richy ,Pickford and DCL will go.

I'm sure we will look to move on.Allan , Mina and Gomrs as well if possible.

We also have a bunch of high earners out of contract so that should give us the financial headroom to bring in 5 players that could transform this team.
I think there’s some decent goalkeepers around. What about a cheeky enquiry about Kelleher, the lad looks top drawer from what I’ve seen of him. If Alisson is staying at the RS for the foreseeable, perhaps Kelleher won’t be happy to carry on sitting on the bench. Yes Pickford has basically saved us with his incredible display against Chelsea, but if someone wants to pay a massive amount for him that might fund a new keeper and a couple of half decent midfielders, I’d take it. Our midfield options are poor.

Recruitment needs to improve for a start.

Get rid of the shabite. Bring in hungry, young players. Raid the championship too.
The lad Baldock at RB for Sheffield Utd looked a cracking player the other night at Forest. They’re not going up now.

I think we learned from the last few months who needs to go, and who has earned the right to stay. I'm talking about who stood up and has been counted rather than wallowing in misery.

MUST LEAVE
Gomes
Mina (Easily our best defender and I love him but he refuses to play and/or stay fit)
Allan
Delph - for the same reasons as Mina. You can't help the team if you're never on the pitch
DVDB - There's a footballer in there, but he just seems like someone we shouldn't try to sign. Gotta be cheaper options out there.

EARNED THE RIGHT to stay
Iwobi
Gray

DEBATABLE
Keane and Holgate. They are not good enough, but that's different from earning the right to stay. Keane has had some shambolic perfromances, but he's stood and up been counted and hasn't hidden when needed. I think ONE of these two must go, but on the balance of their performance, they each didn't down tools, when they easily could have. Their problem is not being good enough. One would be fine as a bench option.

The lad Baldock at RB for Sheffield Utd looked a cracking player the other night at Forest. They’re not going up now.

Can't see us being in for any RB to be fair, I doubt any of Coleman, Kenny, Patterson or Godfrey leave this summer.

I think we learned from the last few months who needs to go, and who has earned the right to stay. I'm talking about who stood up and has been counted rather than wallowing in misery.

MUST LEAVE
Gomes
Mina (Easily our best defender and I love him but he refuses to play and/or stay fit)
Allan
Delph - for the same reasons as Mina. You can't help the team if you're never on the pitch
DVDB - There's a footballer in there, but he just seems like someone we shouldn't try to sign. Gotta be cheaper options out there.

EARNED THE RIGHT to stay
Iwobi
Gray

DEBATABLE
Keane and Holgate. They are not good enough, but that's different from earning the right to stay. Keane has had some shambolic perfromances, but he's stood and up been counted and hasn't hidden when needed. I think ONE of these two must go, but on the balance of their performance, they each didn't down tools, when they easily could have. Their problem is not being good enough. One would be fine as a bench option.

I agree with this but there are some more names to add to go, Tosun e,g., Kenny, no mention of Alli ? Docoure ?

I agree with this but there are some more names to add to go, Tosun e,g., Kenny, no mention of Alli ? Docoure ?
We can't overhaul everyone, it's not realistic. Doucoure has limitations, but he's not a must go in my opinion

As for some of the others, Tosun is already gone, and Kenny is also out of contract. I'm putting them in the obviously going bucket, not worth mentioning

I know this is about squad, but any rebuild has to start with Chairman + CEO. They need to apologise + leave.

It's actually worked out well for them. If we'd got win at Watford, there'd definitely been protests in last two home games.

Reckon they'll try cling it + put everything on this football review, bring in some flunky as fans rep on board + any changes are totally cosmetic.

Need new compentent exec team, who's only qualification isn't being a blue.

I'd get rid of Ferguson as well. Needs to go + build career at lower level.

This summer
Sigurdsson
Delph
Kenny
Lonregan
Tosun

Next summer
Mina
Richarlison
Coleman
Alan
Nkounkou
Davies
Begovic
Towsend
Broadhead

I think we may end up extending Kenny and Delph for a season, I’m not saying that’s a great idea, I just feel it will happen.

We may also look to sell Alan, Mina and Richarlison this summer as it’s our last chance to get any money for them before they leave in free’s the following year. Ideally I would like us to extend Richarlison’s contract but I don’t think he would sign, he’s in a great position now to go to a top 4 team either here or abroad.

That has to be 275k a week off the books this summer, no? Isn’t Tosun on some absurd number like 90k a week?

I'm hoping that this will be an opportunity for a lot of them to leave on good terms, and I do think that Lampard has it in him to be ruthless (he's been more than willing to bench senior players).

Richarlison, DCL and Gray has the makings of a very decent front three, with Gordon there as another option. Will the first two still be here, though?

It would be a shame to see Pickford go, considering the season he's had.

Mykolenko seems fine now, and maybe he'll even to start to show a bit more on the ball given time, while Godfrey and Holgate could compete to partner whoever comes in to finally be the proper replacement for Jagielka. Lampard wanted Tarkowski at Chelsea, so I could see him receiving an offer as a free transfer, but this is an area where I wouldn't mind proper money being spent, even if it's just reinvesting whatever comes in for Keane and Mina. I'd also want a new starter at right-back, but I can't see it unless Coleman retires (maybe Patterson will be ready to push for a place sooner rather than later).

Centre midfield is where I'd use the bulk of the budget. None of those bought for the position have been anything close to good value, nor would they be missed, though unless he's going to revert to type without the threat of relegation looming, Iwobi does look capable of filling one of those spots. He's been a revelation with his energy and physicality, and I think it'd be worth spending out on at least one high-quality passer. In front of them, Alli showed that the ability is still there, but Lampard's comments make you wonder if he can show enough professionalism to justify the wages and payments that would be due.

Current Everton Squad:

Jordan Pickford - Keep unless someone offers like 50 mil
Begovic - Keep - has already had the 1 year extension triggered on his contract
Lonergan - Keep - third choice keeper
Virginia - Sell - rumoured that Sporting want to sign him for 5 mil

Kenny - Release - out of contract this summer and not worthy of a short term deal despite probably being on low wages
Patterson - Keep - young right back prospect
Holgate - Keep - decent backup for injuries
Keane - Sell - ultimately not good enough and if the rumour that West Ham would be prepared to sign him for 10 mil then I would sell
Mina - Sell - unless he signs a new contract, injury prone and out of contract soon
Mykolenko - Keep - young left back prospect
Godfrey - Keep - decent backup for injuries - ultimately not good enough to start games, too short to head away crosses
Coleman - Keep - until his contract expires next year, hopefully he will be back up next season
Branthwaite - Keep - young centre half prospect
Nkounkou - Keep - backup for Mykolenko

Allan - Sell - does not appear to be in Frank's plans given he has not started a game for a while, lacks technical passing ability, might be able to fetch a few mil for him despite his age
Gbamin - Sell - unfortunately injuries have ruined his chances, if CSKA are willing to pay 10 mil then I would sell him
Delph - Release - high wages and too injury prone to even consider giving him a short extension
Doucoure - Keep - only because if we sell him we would literally have to buy 40 midfielders next season, i think he would be a useful squad player but that's about it, very poor passing ability but he makes up for that with his tracking back and tackling
Gomes - Sell - ultimately not good enough and too slow, gets caught out too often and goes missing in midfield
Davies - Keep - as backup for now unless someone is prepared to pay 10 mil for him
Alli - Keep - showed that he has ability against Palace, deserves a chance imo
Sigurdsson - Release - out of contract this summer and unlikely to be given a new contract

Kean - Sell - Juventus have an obligation to sign him and looks like we have agreed on a deal to sell him this summer already
Richarlison - Keep - unless a big club makes an offer for over 70 mil, if he wants to leave and join them we shouldn't stand in his way
DCL - Keep - unless a big club make an offer for over 50 mil
Gray - Keep - important squad player
Townsend - Keep - important squad player
Iwobi - Keep - important squad player
Tosun - Release - out of contract this summer and a wage leech
Gordon - Keep - young winger prospect
Rondon - Keep - until his contract expires next year

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everton Squad 2022-23

GK - Pickford
GK - Begovic
GK - Lonergan / some other random unknown third choice keeper

DR - Coleman
DR - Patterson
DC - Holgate
DC - Godfrey
DC - Branthwaite
DL - Mykolenko
DL - N'Kounkou

MC - Doucoure
MC - Davies

LW - Richarlison
LW - Gordon

RW - Gray
RW - Townsend

CAM - Alli
CAM - Iwobi

ST - DCL
ST - Rondon

That is a squad of 20 players

I would then look to promote the following youth players: -

CB - Reece Welch
CB - Lewis Gibson
CM - Tyler Onyango
CM - Isaac Price
CM - Lewis Warrington
ST - Lewis Dobbin
ST - Ellis Simms
ST - Nathan Broadhead

Transfers: -

For me we need better centre halves, i like the idea of patterson being our right back but if he's not going to be our first choice right back then we can't have coleman playing in that position. I also think we lack any technical players in midfield who are good passers. Finally, we need better wingers in the final third.

I like the idea of signing the likes of Tarkowski, Gilmour, Gallagher, Brennan Johnson

Need to also utilise the loan market and maybe find some gems from abroad like spurs have with kulusevski and romero. I know they both have options to buy permanently which have been triggered but that is what we should try and do, make loan deals with options to buy if they succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.