The Easter Sunday Sermon ; Graham , Diamond , Stuart ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

little curly alan ball

Player Valuation: £70m
For those in Helmand Province , Afghanistan generally , or otherwise Serving Their Country , and away from their Families this Easter Week-End ...

Stay Safe , Peoples .. THAT , is a Goddamn' ORDER !!!

For My Mother , My World , L.C.A.Barb' ; Me Aunty Do' , an' Our Eva an' Archie ,...

Oh , an' I'm STILL V, Sorry ,....

May the Good Lord be with You all .

Welcome , everyone to our small corner of this Easter Sabbath .

Everton and London ... London and Everton ... Despite the Escla Membership , its never really been a Marraige Made in Heaven , in truth . Indeed , in my 40 Years or so of watching Everton - I was taken as a Baby ; I can only really remember 2 whom PROPER got it . Tony Cottee , least to My Mind , and though 99 goals may suggest otherwise , didn't , Kingy and the Focus of today's Lesson , most certainly DID !!! Moreover , for a Midfielder , was directly involved in perhaps the 2 most important Goals scored by Everton in the 1990's . Furthermore , and as I have alluded to , HE GOT IT . He SOOOO GOT IT , like ,...

Ladies and Gentleman of the Congregation , may I introduce Graham , " Diamond " Stuart ,...

Born in my old Stomping Ground of Tooting , London , on October 24 , 1970 . He was a Boyhood Chelsea Fan , and was another whom came from the F.A. School of Excellence at Lilleshall . Thus , he would not sign Professional Forms with his Boyhood Idols until in his 18th Year . However , he wasted little time in scoring on his First Team Debut , versus Crystal Palace . Nevertheless , it did not gain him a run in the side , having to wait until the following Campaign - away at Manchester United , he won a Penalty in this game too . This time though , he stayed in the side .
Thrived , in fact , scoring 6 times that year , including the first in a 2-1 victory over Arsenal - their only loss that Season . His second , full , Campaign was largely disrupted by injury and Managers not knowing his best position . He scored just one goal , a quality strike to eliminate Sheffield United from the F.A. Cup . However , it was the next Season , and a Match versus the other Sheffield Side , Wednesday , that he came to National prominence . Collecting the ball just outside his own area , he began a run . The Yorkie defence kept retreating and Graham just kept advancing , eventually entering the Box and slipping the ball under Chris Woods . It may have been this which persuaded Howard Kendall to part with £850, 000 to secure Stuart's signature from the Kings Road . He left Chelsea Football Club having made 70 First Tram Appearances , and having scored 14 Goals .

Thus , Season 1993/94 dawned with the Union of Graham Stuart and Everton FC on its Honeymoon . Alas , neither Party was aware of just how traumatic those early days would become . We actually began with 3 straight wins , which I had forgotten . However , it was soon back to reality however , as we go through the next 3 without finding the Net . It would become the major problem of the Campaign . There was to be an early highlight though , as we utterly Crush the RS in the Home Derby , in the most one-sided 2-0 win I've ever seen . It was the game Grobbelaar and McManaman started Clouting each other ... Nevertheless , it was the exception as opposed to the rule . A 4-2 victory over Lincoln in the League Cup was followed by two defeats , the infamous 1-5 Game against Norwich at The Old Lady - RS Fan Ekoku got 4 , and another 2-3 reverse at Tottenham . Our next League win comes against Ipswich Town on October 30 . Another 2 domestic losses , the latter of which , 0-3 at home to Q.P.R. , to My Mind , effectively saw Kendall relinquish his Job , though in point of fact , he would hang on for another few games . Indeed , preversely , his last 2 League results were a draw and a victory over Southampton . The damage had been done , however , and on December 5 1993 , Howard Kendall vacated the Manager's Chair for the second time - citing our lack of a Centre Forward as his reasoning .

Jimmy Gabriel , that Everton Stalwart and Sermon Recipient Himself , took over on a Caretaker Basis . Once more , and cruelly , it was not to be a success . He loses 5 and draws one , 0-0 , of his first 6 Games . Indeed , we didn't score a goal until The Angel's 7th Game - a 2-4 caning off Chelsea . It could not be allowed to continue , and two days after Stamford Bridge , Everton announced that Mike Walker , he erstwhile Norwich City Manager , was the new Goodison Supremo . The Board had done him a favour , in that his First Game was a Cup Tie ; 1-1 at Bolton , before the Home Match against - statistically The Worst Side to ever play Premiership Football , Swindon Town . In the event , it ends 6-2 . The Bolton Replay is another for the memory banks . Winning 2-0 , only for be pulled back to 2's each , and lose in Extra-Time - Your Man , Walker , as I recall . A defeat at Old Trafford , then we exact , exact revenge over Chelsea with a 4-2 Home Victory . Two draws , a , 2-1 win - Diamond ; as he had now been Christened - Diamond Geezer , scored the Winner . His First in a Blue Jersey , then a 1-2 loss . Alas , the defeat happened to be the Greyskull Derby . After which , Walker's Old Club , the Canaries , do us no favours either with a 0-3 hiding at Carrow Road . Spurs come
to Goodison and take the points the next weekend . A draw at Vanilla before a potentially crushing , 1-5 Blitzing at Hillsborough , Sheffield Wednesday , and then another Home Battering , 0-3 , off The Homosexual's Blackburn . This was now Getting Scary . We had been in and around - mostly , in , the Bottom 3 all Season , but the Spectre of Relegation , for This Club , the First in nearly 40 Years , was very real and Very Frightening indeed . We pick up 3 points against West Ham , then a loss , a draw , another defeat , 0-3 at Elland Road , in potentially our Final Away Premier League Game for the foreseeable future . So , the Final Day arrives , with ourselves , Bolton and Sheffield United fighting to avoid joining , inevitably , Swindon Town in dropping out of the Top Flight . Wimbledon's Crazy Gang , Jones , Fashanu , Scales , Winterburn , et al were our Opponents .

There has been much conjecture about this game in the subsequent Years , especially in view of the Hans Segers / Bruce Grobbelaar Bribery Drama . Indeed , there Had been the usual , " We're gonna Put Them Down ..", garbage . Moreover , their Team Coach Was Petrol Bombed , the night before . This is documented fact . However , I was present at the Game . Indeed , was upstairs in the Gwlady and had a perfect view of all goals bar Stuey's Penalty . My point being , that nobody will ever convince me that Anders Limpar's Right Hand , and more to the point , Gary Ablett's flailing legs , were nvolved in any sort of conspiracy . They were 2 of the most bizarre , also Soul Destroying at the time , Goals I have ever witnessed conceded against Everton . Yet , I will go to my Grave saying that , " They were Clean ..." We come back from the same 2 goals down . Limpar then Wins a Penaly , which Diamond slots . 1-2 . Game On . Step forward , Barry Horne , whom rifles in the Goal of his Career , another unlikely , Bung Candidate . All square . We do though need the Victory . A draw , subject to other resuls , will not save us . The 3 sided Goodison - The Park End was being refurbished , gave off a surreal , yet resonating atmosphere in that warm Spring Sun . For the Piece de Resistance of what is undoubtably The most utterly Scatty Match-Day that I have experienced at The Old Lady , Graham Stuart plays a One-Two , on the edge of their Box , though instead of shooting , he simply plays another , similar ball , side foot , in the general direction of Segers goal . Indeed , it is This Strike which brought out the, Nose Taps, Winks , etc , subsequently . The Keeper is unsighted and to the opposite side of hte Goal as the ball meanders its way across the line and into the Gwladys Street Net . I assume you can imagine the pandemonium , as that is what it was . The Side hang on for Victory , which sees the inevitable Pitch-Invasion , with many just kneeling on the turf . Some in tears . It really Was That Close , and it Really Did Mean That Much . Graham Stuart had turned his Debut Season of , Pre-Wimbledon , not that much , into one to be recounted in Goodison Folklore Forever and a Day . He made 25 starts , 5 Substitute Appearances , scoring 3 Goals in his Debut Campaign .

Right then . Or Biggest Kick Up The Arse in Decades .. Never Again , said Agent Johnson . We begin well , Diamond Scoring our First of this Season as well as the last of the last , as it were . We draw our Opening fixture ; 2-2 with Aston Villa .
However , and in what was indeed a Portent of things to come , we lose our next 4 matches , 1-2 ; 0-4 ; 1-2 ; 0-3 . A draw , a Home defeat in the First Leg of a League Cup Tie against Portsmouth - which itself would ultimately prove Historically significant for St . Domingans . A League Stalemate with Leicester , a loss against Manchester United . The return leg against Pompey saw the Debut of 2 Loan Players from Glasgow
Rangers . Duncan Ferguson started the Match , with Iain Durrant being a Substitute . We are eliminated on aggregate , and proceed to lose our next 3 games also . A subsequent draw , then a win were not enough to Turn The Tide , as far as Walker was concerned . Ironically , his Final Game as Everton Manager came on Bonfire Night , 2004 against Norwich City , in truth , and with respect , his level all along . Nl's each . Quelle surprise ..

Ex-Evertonian and erstwhile Oldham Boss , Joe Royle became the latest , Returning Hero through the Goodison Road Doors . As opposed to Walker's , Softly-Softly entrance , Big Joe had to face the RS , first up . Fair play to Royle , he laid his cards on the table from the off . Ferguson was installed as Centre Forward , with the instructions that as many crosses as possible were to be aimed at him . In the event it was successful , as Evertonians were given a New Hero . We triumph 2-0 as all thoughts of another Relegation Scrap vanished overnight . Our next 2 games were victories . 2 Stalemates followed , then the debacle that was Boxing Day , as Sheffield Wednesday - Whittingham ...??? come and despite our taking the lead via another , Big Man St. End Header , give us a 1-4 tonking . Fair do's , we then go to Ipswich and procure the same scoreline . It still isn't what we want though , with lose , win , draw , perm them as you wish , continued . The New Year came and went with no upturn in our general fortunes . Indeed , it would take until the end of February , and a 0-5 , F.A. Cup win over , Norwich City - which I'd forgotten , I'd missed . It would prove a catalyst of sorts .

See , the Thing was , having secured Premiership Status , by virtue of , primarily , beating Manchester United at Home , in another Fergie-Inspired Night of Hysteria , oh , and by being Less-Bad than 3 other Teams below us , We , that is , Joe Royle , focuses upon the F.A. Cup . The next Round saw us draw Newcastle at The Old Lady . We win 1-0 , and I've told the story about My Brother-in-Law and Referee Keith Cooper , and 2 Merseyside Constabularly . It was kinda funny . Thus , as seemed to be the way in those days , we had gone from an Foundation Shaking last day experience to some of the Highest High's , a Generation of Blueshad experienced . Graham Stuart was now a staple of the side , as Royle was loath to rotate but what with his Centre Forward being incarcerated in Barlinmnie Jail for 7 weeks , he had little option . He played Diamond as an Auxilliary Striker , often behind Paul Rideout - and in preference to Damiel Amokachi , our ; Mike Walker's - in fact Agent Johnson's , World Cup signing of the previous Summer .

We go on , after a series of , Hmmmmm Results , to face Media Darlings , Tottenham in the F.A. Cup Semi Final , at Elland Road , Leeds . For the uninitiated , this was Spurs of Sheringham , Anderton , Media Uber-Darling , Klinnsmann , and Dumitrescu - The Romanian , and , apt for Easter Weekend , Judas Escariot Barmby . It was the most Foregone Conclusion of recent years . Or so we were told . Whilst they were the Famous Five or whatever it was , we , conversely were , The Dogs of War , a sobriquet Royle at first ignored but later was some cause of irritation to , Old Magnus Capus . April 9 , 1995 , was one such day . We had 3 sides of the Ground , and the Players , still without the Talismanic Duncan , put on the finest performance by an Everton XI in nigh-on a decade . They were supreme . Everyone . All over the Park . Matt Jackson . Undies . The Bin Man . Limpar , Joe Parky , but for me , My Memory of the Day , is Diamond . He was imperious . Scored one , made at least one , should've had about another 3 more . We utterly blister them with wave-after-wave of attacks . TalkSPORT's Jason Cundy is STILL looking for his Chelsea Mucka from that day . One personal aside , Your Good Reverand , ended up for the final 20 minutes or so , in the Leeds United Directors Box , and was indeed bouncing UP AND DOWN on those Padded Seats - Myself an' Nipper Hayes whom will verify the voracity of my statement . It was A DAY ,..
So , Wem-bl-ey !!! In the 6 games up to the Final , we did not experienece defeat . Mind you , we only won 2 , but still . The Queues outside Goodison - Overnight , for Final Tickets - Pre Source Days , was worth a Sermon in itself , as anyone whom experienced it will verify . Still , we got them , so , London , Here We Come !!!

The Match itself was , tbh , largely forgettable , Big Duncan was back , but only on the Bench . We are limited , but keen . We take it to them where we can , but in truth , were far out-gunned . However , Watto shins one , it falls to Limpar , whom breaks from his own half . Matty Jackson , seeing the little Svenska on-one , overlaps . Limpar slips him in with the outside of his boot . Matty goes on , a lovely little step - step , Gary Neville had to pay Back-In , then slides a , Bury - Me , Ball to , Graham , Diamond Stuart . Alas , our fav' Southerner connects , as he later re-counts ;
" Too well .." the ball strikes the underside of the Bar - I was in the Toilet at this point - as was Mick Buckley an' Me Boi , Kenny Mc ; where it bounces up in the air . Pallister goes to win it , Bruce behind Schmeichel aiming to clear the line . However , Paul Rideout , in truth , one of my Least Fav' Ever Everton Centre Forwards , nods the loose ball into the corner of the Net . Cue , Pandemonium ... There was some 50 minutes or so left ,... The last 20 minutes was The Alamo . Bin Man , literally , Stands Up to be Counted - the double save from Scholes stands out . In any event , we hang on . The whistle goes with few Mancs still in the Stadium . Your Good Reverand is to be seen , standing atop the 2 inch thick railings next to the Tunnel , giving it , The BIG ONE - please review tape if any doubters . Cantona , Ince , Taggart , ALL GOT IT , Goodo . .Big Man gives me a Thumbs Up , going down the walkway . Aces !!!

The following Season , 1995/96 , Big Joe attempted to address our , Lack of Class , issue . He began by signing Vinny Samways from Spurs , then , making a magnificent purchase , and fell out with his Mate , Taggart , as he lured Want-Away Ukranian , Andrei Kanchelskis from Old Trafford . He then went and prised , Nicholas , I AM Escariot , Barmby from Middlesborough , for a Club Record , £5.75M . Our first game , like the Good Old Days , was a Charity Shield victory over the Homosexual's Blackburn Rovers . Sideways gets the winner . So , one Trophy in the Cabinet ... Our opening 2 Games see a Nil's each draw and a defeat . Then two , 2-0 victories. Then 3 mtaches finish 3-2 - two losses and a win . Milwall in the League Cup , 0-0 , in-between two more League defeats . Graham Stuart gets his first of the Campaign in the European Cup Winner's Cup Tie against Reykjavik , we win 6-3 on aggregate , then another defeat against the Barcodes , 1-3 at The Old Lady , before Millwall arrive in the League Cup Second Round , Second Leg , and batter us , 2-4 . Not exactly the start we were looking for then ,..
Two League Stalemate's , either side of another draw , with Feyenoord in Europe , as Brett Angell was our Centre Forward . Yet another defeat , this time Away at Aston Vanilla , before Reggie Blinker puts us out of Europe to where we would not return until Moyesey was our Manager . On the Saturday , we beat Blackburn , last year's Champions of course , as Diamond grabs his inaugural Premiership strike of the Season , in a 1-0 win . It is our 3rd League Victory of the Campaign . It was Bonfire Night . On to , November 18 , 1995 , which turned out to be a Good Day , for Evertonians . It was our Annual trek to Greyskull , but , given our Domestic Form to that point , we were not exactly optimistic . How wrong could we have been ??? Once more , though Andrei grabs the Headlines with 2 , that's , TWO Kop End strikes , one a Header ...!!!??? ; it is Limpar and Stuart whom drive us on . A Threat all afternoon , This , was what Joe Royle had been looking for all along ... Our next defeat is on December 16 , at The Barcodes , as the Side , while not having the , Winning Every Week thing , Down , at least learnt how , Not To Lose , and Graham Stuart began to play an ever more integral role . He scored his Second League Goal of the Season , the week after the Lucifers . 2 weeks later he gets his Third in beating West Ham , 3-0 at Home . From then on , Big Joe's Boys stepped it UP ...

On Boxing Day 1995 , we blister Middlesborough 4-0 at Goodison - Diamond gets a brace . We beat Leeds , then I trek to South London for a New Year's Day - for a change , Away Party as we triumph 3-0 and Big Man scores 2 , one a corker volley in the White Diamonds Kit . Stockport are
then , after a Replay , despatched in the Cup - Graham Suart scores in both legs . We go to Highbury and win as again , Stuey gets a Goal . A dire Home Stalemate with port Vale in the Cup , then a creditable 2-2 at Southampton , as again Diamond bags one . We beat Man' City then we go to the Potteries for the F.A. Cup Replay . Suffice to say , we are defeated , though Graham Stuart scores ours in a 1-2 loss . Joe Royle mentos the ,
" Watershed ..." , word . We had kinda heard it before , tbh ,.. Still , Back on the Horse as they do say ,... A Blip at Old Trafford then sees us go on a 4 Game unbeaten run - granted , 2 were draws , before a bizarre Home beating , 2-4 , off Wimbledon , which is followed by two , 3-0 victories . We lose at Q.P.R. , 1-3 befre The Bealzebubs come to Town - still smarting from Andrei . Well , Tough , as Our Ukranian once more scores against them in a 1's each . This is followed by perhaps our finest display of the Season as we go to Hillsborough in our Final Away Game and utterly Blister them , 5-1 , as Kanchelskis grabs a Hat-Trick , before the denoument of 1995/96 is a Goodison win over Aston Villa . The side finish - considering our Pre-Xmas Form , The Form Team in the Premier League in the second half of the Campaign . Moreover , and contrary to widely held opinions , it was flowing , attacking , positive Football . Furthermore , Joe Royle began to speak of Graham Stuart in terms of an England Call-Up . That is how well he was playing . In the event , the Team finish in 6th Place , our best in the 1990's , as Diamond plays 34 Matches in all , 27 League Starts , Scoring 14 Priceless Goals . Indeed , Kanchelskis' arrival had given Graham the licence to roam which his astute Football Brain prospered under . It was to be his Everton Zenith .

The Summer of 1996 , despite our having to hand back both of the Trophies , was still an optimistic one at L4, 4EL . Gary Speed arrived in a wonderful piece of Transfer Business , for £3M from Leeds United , as again , Big Joe sought to add Class . It all began so well too , as The Barcodes came and were eaten 2-0 , on the Opening Day . Then came one of My Favourite Away Games - League ; Ever , as we visit Old Trafford on a warm August Night . Miraculously , we take a 2 goal lead as Duncan puts in his finest showing against the Other Fergie that he ever would , as he gets both . A Towering Header , and a Turn and Shot from the Edge of the Area , during which I broke Me Ralph Lauren Glasses in Celebrating , Ho-Hum . They push on , inevitably , and of course get 2 back as Jordi Cryuff and Poborsky score what may have been their only O.T. Goals . We have a chance in the dying seconds as Speed hits Schmiechel in the Chest as he is is prostrate on the floor and with the Stretford End Goal gaping , and that was that . We are still awaiting our first win there since . It was to be kinda portentious .

Our next 4 Games - 3 of which we do not score in ; are a 0-0 at Spurs and 3 straight Losses. Then , after a First Leg 1-1 with York City ; Yes . That IS York City , we are beaten in the Return Match , 2-3 , and thus go out on Aggregate . Watershed , anyone ...??? ; as Whispers of discontent began to be heard . Nevertheless , Big Joe Soldiered On , and indeed , The Side went on it's best run of the Season , winning 4 of our next 5 - the latter a 7-1 Hiding of Southampton as Speed gets an Everton Hat-Trick , and Diamond opened the scoring . It was to be our highlight of the Year as Paying Punters . The following Wednesday , we go to the Vermin , with Asbo as Ball-Boy and get a 1's each . Then , win , draw ,
loss , win draw loss . Like that . Royle is getting frustrated , and the Team have none of the , Panache , of a Year earlier . It was not aided by the , inevitable , in truth , departure of Andrei Kanchelskis to Fiorentina . We then lose our next 4 Domestic Fixtures , before Bradford City arrive in the F.A. Cup , and Tranmere aside , give This Man of the Cloth , his worst Goodison Cup Day of the decade , and win 2-3 . Talk about Watersheds ...!!! A week later we go to Tyneside and are again , Coated , 1-4 . We manage a solitary victory over Forest , 2-0 , but t is an anomaly , and normal service is resumed with 2 draws and two losses . A win against Derby at Goodison , and an Old Trafford defeat saw Joe Royle approach Peter Johnson for the funds to purchase the Norwegian Duo , Tore Andre Flo and Claus Eftevaag . He was denied , and in a Mirror-Image of Howard Kendall over Dion Dublin's Non-Arrival , picked up his jacket and walked . Thus , despite our having won a Trophy , 2 if you count the Charity
Shield , in the past 18 monhs , managed our best League Finish since we were a member of the Big 5 , and had been constructing the best Squad since those heady days , we find ourselves , once more , set adrift amongst the Flotsam and Jetsam of the Premiership . Dave Watson takes over the Reigns , a Steady Hand ,.. and all that . We are in no real danger of relegation in the event , and go to finish 15th . A fall of only 9 places but a chasm of difference to a year previously . Graham Stuart was a case in point . The Season before he had been spoken of in terms of International recognition . Now , he could struggle to make our , struggling First Eleven . He made 29 starts , with another 5 as Substitute , netting on 5 occasions .

Howard Kendall was to return for his Thirdand Final stint as Everton FC Supremo in the Summer of 1997 . One of his initial orders of business was to return to his Old Club , Sheffield United , and procure the services of , nice lads , but rather nondescript as Footballer's , Carl Tiler and Mitch Ward . Diamond was the Makeweight in the deal . Thus , he departed Goodison Park , after 4 Years , having made 136 Appearances , and Scoring 22 Goals .

He would remain at Brammall Lane for 2 Seasons , becoming a Fan's Favourite in the process , whilst playing 53 Games andScoring 11 times. From there he was off to Charlton , where , as he Matured , he played - alongside Scotty Parker , some of the Best Football of his Career . He joined a Relegated Team but was an integral part of their immediate return as Champions the Campaign following . It was a surprise to me today to find that Graham Stuart played more games for Charlton Athletic than Everton Football Club , 148 to 136 , but the same amount of goals , 22 . What was not in dispute is that he is still revered at the Valley in much the same way as he is at L4, 4EL . He left Charlton and joined Norwich City in
2005 , where he only made 8 starts , without scoring , for The Canaries and stayed only months , as injuries finally caught up with him , and his Career finally meandered to a conclusion . He would make in excess of 500 League Appreances , predominantly in the Top Flight . He did not choose to enter Coaching / Management , but does Media Work , Chelsea / Evetron / Sheffield United and Charlton , foremostly .

In reviewing the Everton Career of Graham Stuart , one of relatively short duration , it s not merely statistics that one has to take on board . A fine Player with ball at feet , intelligent , and certainly with an eye for a Goal . Pace not his strong point , and his flexibility sometimes counted against
him . Though , for example , I have met various members of the '95 Cup Winning Side and when questioned about , The Blue thing , To a Man , they all cite ,. " Diamond ..." ALL of them as , as passionate as any . Granted , the Wimbledon Goals alone will secure his St. Domingo Status for Time Immemorium , but more than that , MUCH more than that . He Loved Everton Football Club , its Ground , its History and its Supporters . Still does to this day .

Therefore , Cockney or No Cockney , Ladies and Gentlemen of the Congregation , thank the Almighty in his provision of Graham Stuart , Chim-Ciminee.. He may be , but he'salso One Of ours . He GOT IT ...

Amen .

Written in Britain .

Look after Your Peoples .

Peace Out ..

The Catholic Reverand L.C.A.B.

" ...I know My Peoples hearin' Me . Holler if Y'all need Me . Word ..."

Last edited:
Nice read again LCAB.
I watched Graham smash the RS in the Masters. It all counts to me!
Enjoy your weekend Oracula.

Great stuff mate. He was always up for it. We played some great football in '95-'96. I thought he played more games than he did.

good read about a good player, funny enough was thinking about joe royle the other day, bad day for the blues the day he left though he had the makings of a decent side ,

good read about a good player, funny enough was thinking about joe royle the other day, bad day for the blues the day he left though he had the makings of a decent side ,

Thank You , Kid .

Bit last min' , tbh ..

As to your point , Dead Right , Mate ... More than decent as it goes , Brother ...

Status
Not open for further replies.