What do we reckon?

• 👍

Votes: 713 70.5%
  • 🤷 | 🧀🥪

Votes: 261 25.8%
  • 👎

Votes: 38 3.8%

• Total voters
People congratulating themselves that Everton "have more potential" than Roma for the Friedkins need to remember this when lamenting the inevitable rise in ticket prices and other paraphanelia that will eventually ensue.

The Premier League isn't instrinsically more attractive than Serie A or the Bundesliga. It's simply that the Premier League has sold its sold to the devil in ways that Serie A couldn't and the Bundesliga wouldn't.

The buccaneering capitalism of Tory Britain birthed the Premier League. The Football League and then Football Association were sidelined in favour of private capital. These were all choices, based on the particular culture of the UK.

So, when people congratulate themselves that Everton have more financial potential than a huge club like Roma, remember why that is and accept that this invariably means the further endangerment of working class inclusion when the new stadium arrives.

Basically, we don't want the German model of fan ownership (I mean, some of us do, but the country as a whole won't tolerate it), and we can't have things both ways.
We did choose a certain model, but regardless of that the huge advantage our league has over all others is that it is the oldest and therefore the one that most football fans around the world traditionally recognise as the most senior and therefore the one to follow. It has been incredibly well, marketed and sold around the world (which it could have been regardless of how it was set up in England).

We also stole a march on Spain and Italy with selling matches abroad because the time their matches kick-off traditionally being in a Sunday afternoon/evenings when a lot of viewers in Asia and other parts of the world are in not able to watch or are already in bed.

As for the German model. Nein danke. If anyone thinks City have got it wrapped up every year, take a look at the Bundesliga.

We did choose a certain model, but regardless of that the huge advantage our league has over all others is that it is the oldest and therefore the one that most football fans around the world traditionally recognise as the most senior and therefore the one to follow. It has been incredibly well, marketed and sold around the world (which it could have been regardless of how it was set up in England).

We also stole a march on Spain and Italy with selling matches abroad because the time their matches kick-off traditionally being in a Sunday afternoon/evenings when a lot of viewers in Asia and other parts of the world are in not able to watch or are already in bed.

As for the German model. Nein danke. If anyone thinks City have got it wrapped up every year, take a look at the Bundesliga.
QED.

Interesting to hear peoples concerns about the multi-club thing - and Roma fans too.

The Mosh/Bill axis has probably traumatised me - but it seems a positive to have connections in Italy, France (and the US) - the club has been a bit too UK-centric for a globalised game.

If we want to stay parochial fine - if not then a more global network needs to be built.

The identity of the club is still going to be wth the fans and the local area.

The news that part of RMF being paid now makes me feel a lot more easy.

The chilling millions we parted with to fulfill a fella who couldn't let go, is angering.

I think now, they're realising their time is slowly coming to an end and they're bracing for their last bits of interest coming in.

Friedkin group represent the steadiest path and if they turn their £200m into equity (which it would appear is happening), it's the most practical.

Ignore the recent Roma stuff and now pray everything goes smoothly.

I get it mate...we don't get nice things.
The specifics of the agreement are “unknown” at this point, but Powell notes that it will go before the N.Y. civil court as part of the Leadenhall case and there is “confidence that it will be accepted.” The “upshot” of such a decision would “relate to it potentially taking Everton as an asset out of reach in the event of any insolvency process, or it became a criminal case”

This just worries me, like how confident are you exactly lads?

Interesting to hear peoples concerns about the multi-club thing - and Roma fans too.

The Mosh/Bill axis has probably traumatised me - but it seems a positive to have connections in Italy, France (and the US) - the club has been a bit too UK-centric for a globalised game.

If we want to stay parochial fine - if not then a more global network needs to be built.

Point well made.

In an ideal world I would want us to be owed outside of a multi club model.

But you can also look at it as custodianship as much as ownership.

It does bring advantages also, in an environment where there are global super-clubs.

And anyway, its not like the owners of the Top 6 have absolutely no other business interests.

I have no doubt it can bring us some leverage and also no doubt that it will not dilute our unique identity in any meaningful way.

I think it only becomes a concern or relevant if Roma and Everton are direct competitors in European football - even then there are certain rules about that which would need to be negotiated. We’ve a bit to go before that’s an issue.

People congratulating themselves that Everton "have more potential" than Roma for the Friedkins need to remember this when lamenting the inevitable rise in ticket prices and other paraphanelia that will eventually ensue.

The Premier League isn't instrinsically more attractive than Serie A or the Bundesliga. It's simply that the Premier League has sold its sold to the devil in ways that Serie A couldn't and the Bundesliga wouldn't.

The buccaneering capitalism of Tory Britain birthed the Premier League. The Football League and then Football Association were sidelined in favour of private capital. These were all choices, based on the particular culture of the UK.

So, when people congratulate themselves that Everton have more financial potential than a huge club like Roma, remember why that is and accept that this invariably means the further endangerment of working class inclusion when the new stadium arrives.

Basically, we don't want the German model of fan ownership (I mean, some of us do, but the country as a whole won't tolerate it), and we can't have things both ways.
Yeah
I would love the German model .
But our league is now entirely about finances .
We are following the American model where going to a game is an event to be enjoyed once or twice a season for most and only the well off can afford season tickets.
The majority will watch it on TV .

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back