Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

The Friedkin Group reaches agreement to buy Everton

What do we reckon?

• 👍

Votes: 776 71.9%
  • 🤷 | 🧀🥪

Votes: 264 24.5%
  • 👎

Votes: 39 3.6%

• Total voters
Its actually bonkers mate.

The other thing is the blackout only exists really in the UK for the PL.

In most of the other Top European leagues there is no blackout and their footballing pyramid hasn't collapsed.

A lot of PL clubs, even Championship clubs have a waiting list for season tickets or fans find it hard to get tickets - how can these willing payers see their clubs game - when no one wants to take their money.
The issue for sky and BT is there is no audience at 3pm Saturday. They don't want it.
Their core audience will be at games. Granted there will be some sort of audience but nowhere near enough.
It's not like abroad where the viewers have no chance of going to games.

The issue for sky and BT is there is no audience at 3pm Saturday. They don't want it.
Their core audience will be at games. Granted there will be some sort of audience but nowhere near enough.
No they won’t, I think if you ask most people who regularly attend matches they tend not to watch tv matches, most of the premier league games are dull as a night out with Fat Mick for 75 minutes, then listening to the scripted commentary and biased punditry makes peoples ears bleed

No they won’t, I think if you ask most people who regularly attend matches they tend not to watch tv matches, most of the premier league games are dull as a night out with Fat Mick for 75 minutes, then listening to the scripted commentary and biased punditry makes peoples ears bleed
But most will go to pubs and Sky and BT make most of their money from pubs. 3pm Saturday is probably the worst time for a pub to forking out £150 per game.

The 3pm issue has never been about taking supporters away from the lower leagues it has been about what the PL would want for the rights when the audience isn't there.

Last edited:
I think some of you are thinking too locally. Showing the 3pm Arsenal vs City game or United/Everton vs Liverpool game would be huge around the world, where those paying fans (or rather “customers”) would jump at the chance to stream a 3pm or any time game of their team ir whatever they fancied on the day, if it was a reliable/decent quality production, but more importantly, for a reasonable price. Unfortunately this is the sticking point - what you and me would think reasonable (say £2.50 per game), will not be entertained - they will want silly money like £10-£20.

Should be something like £2.50 for YOUR team (one supported team), then maybe a fiver for other games.

If they really thought about it, and worked with fans both here and around the world, it could work. But they will just think ££££ and it will be yet another version of ruining the game, a piece at a time.

I think some of you are thinking too locally. Showing the 3pm Arsenal vs City game or United/Everton vs Liverpool game would be huge around the world, where those paying fans (or rather “customers”) would jump at the chance to stream a 3pm or any time game of their team ir whatever they fancied on the day, if it was a reliable/decent quality production, but more importantly, for a reasonable price. Unfortunately this is the sticking point - what you and me would think reasonable (say £2.50 per game), will not be entertained - they will want silly money like £10-£20.

Should be something like £2.50 for YOUR team (one supported team), then maybe a fiver for other games.

If they really thought about it, and worked with fans both here and around the world, it could work. But they will just think ££££ and it will be yet another version of ruining the game, a piece at a time.
Well when covid hit they wanted £15 a game at first (before being shamed into being free to current subscribers) so there is your starting point.

Imagine a world where people paid for what they wanted to watch direct from their own clubs, no live premier league on Sky, BT etc, just a highlights show for ITV, BBC etc, no crap commentators, no biased pundits, with the caveat that they cover the championship as they do now….. perfect

Problem with charging by team is you'd have the super dooper clubs cryarsing for more money as they'd have proof that they are bringing in more, and how much more.. a full Premership package where you get every game £20 a month, would 50 million subscribers worldwide be achievable? That would be a billion a month income. I'd happily pay 20 a month probably a bit more too..

Imagine a world where people paid for what they wanted to watch direct from their own clubs, no live premier league on Sky, BT etc, just a highlights show for ITV, BBC etc, no crap commentators, no biased pundits, with the caveat that they cover the championship as they do now….. perfect

This would kill the competition almost stone dead.

The global.clubs would rake in 100 or even 1000 times more than the more local clubs.

The issue is the horse has bolted mate. Allegedly millions of fans are watching selected content at 3.00pm on a Saturday, if you popped into the match thread everyone is watching the game, maybe they are all at the game, but also maybe not! ;)

Grounds and pubs are still full, waiting lists exist for tickets.

There is revenue to be made out there, being allegedly made by others, because there isn’t an alternative or the broadcaster haven’t embraced or haven’t been allowed to embrace the available tech.

It’s like when Napster and Limewire were breaking ground on the music scene for a few years downloading, the music industry tried cracking down, realised it was impossible, gave people a legitimate, high quality format to do it and now how many of use limewire and how many of us legitimate pay for Spotify.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back