The Hard Yards

The fans choice

• The hard yards

• A bit of flair

Results are only viewable after voting.
Does he, really??

Sort of my point, the perception of people running rather than impacting the game.
I think hard running does impact a game,he may not make the tackle or block but closing down opponents makes them rush passes and cuts off angles. Like you I'd love to see us playing flowing football but with the limited financial resources we have and most probably will have for the foreseeable Doucoure is the type and style of player we need to keep our position in the top division.

*insert 'yer mar does' joke here*
Well, there are rumors going around that it wasn't a 'friendly slap' that Dyche gave Patterson in Portugal that set him off....

It was a 'Your mama' joke... 😳

Maybe that's a 'hard yard' is? Some sort of crude sexual innuendo to remind Patterson who's in charge?!

Every morning he arrives at Finch Farm and he's like: 'Nathan lad, I gave yer ma the HARDEST yard last night, and she loved it!'

@nsno-chris have you considered this as an explanation mate?!?

Last edited:
A lot of people love Doucoure but hate Onana, because Doucoure runs around a lot

But in reality Doucoure wins less than half is ground duels of Onana, doesn’t make as many interceptions or tackles
Doucoure is a donkey. Nobody confuses him as a "top player" - unlike the other fella, laughing and smirking with his Chelsea friends after a 4-0 first-half hiding.

I guess it's like being right up there in the title race until April, but if you don't put in the hard yards you end up finishing third.

For example.

Hard work beats talent, if talent doesn't work hard.

Hard working talent will beat hard work that lacks talent.

The hard yards aren't optional. They are the work you put in to defend, prevent the opposition scoring and ultimately get the ball back. They are the effort you devote in training, the commitment you show in the off-season to heal up and get into great shape.

Ideally I want hard working players who possess talent in abundance. Given that such players are hugely expensive, I'll settle for players who work hard even though they lack a certain degree of talent. I have zero interest in players who refuse to work hard, regardless of their talent.

A great example for me would be Andrei Kanchelskis v James Rodriguez. Which one will we remember more fondly in years to come?

I never said that mate

I asked, between the two which would people prefer.

For example, Neal Maupay covers more ground and makes more interceptions than Dom.

So does that mean he puts in more hard yards?
I think the hard yards he refers to are those on the training ground, or in the game when people are tired, and some go that extra mile. So hrd yards = extra miles. Now if somebody better at maths than me will have to provide the conversion rate between yards and miles, then you will have the equation one hard yard = 0.xxx Extra miles. ;)