The Kevin Brock back pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebilcock66

Player Valuation: £8m
Just had a surreal encounter with someone who used to play football with Kevin Brock.

This is a story for anyone old enough to remember the dark days of the early eighties. Everton playing a poor brand of football, Howard Kendall's job very much on the line.

Then, in a Milk Cup game against Oxford at the old Manor Ground, Kevin Brock attempts a suicidal back pass, Adrian Heath nips in and steals it, rounds the keeper and equalises. We win the replay 4-1 and go on to the Giro Cup Final, win the FA Cup and have the best three seasons in the blues history. So Kevin Brock has a special place in Everton hearts.

So imagine my interest when my postie delivers my mail this morning to my home near Banbury. Amongst the envelopes are my tickets for the Reading game at Goodison next Saturday. Our postie is a good mate and an oxfordshire man born and bred. In his country accent, as he hands me the envelope, he says,

"Didn't know yer wuz a blueboy. Yer a regular at Goodison? Yeah? Yer go to that game at The Manor Grewnd in 83 or 84? I wuz there watching my mate Kevin Brock make a roight peg's ear of a back pass...I wuz on Arxford's books back then as 'prentice...used to run rengs rewnd Kev, Oi ded..."

30 minutes later, we're still chatting about Everton, Oxford, Jim Smith, Kassam, Goodison etc etc

Quite made my day.

Welcome to the forums mate (y)

Great first post. I cant remember who, but an Everton legend claimed that goal against Oxford started the glory years! :lol:

It definitely lit the blue touch paper that one, if we had lost Howard was out the door the next day, he might not even had made the coach home, happy days started in Oxford(y)(y)(y)

It definitely lit the blue touch paper that one, if we had lost Howard was out the door the next day, he might not even had made the coach home, happy days started in Oxford(y)(y)(y)

PS it was Inchy who put it away, he saved the day with help from Brock

PS it was Inchy who put it away, he saved the day with help from Brock

PPS Welcome mate great post

superb! it was a couple of years before my first everton memory... but as any evertonian knows it was what sparked the eighties for us.

top stuff!

Kevin Brock Back Pass

Some are already saying that Jimmy Mac's goal against Metalist Kharkhiv might have the same effect! Here's hoping!

Mr Kevin Brock, You are a top guy an i love you with all my heart!!!!!

You were the start of the blue revalution!!

Hope jimmy Mc's is the second coming!!

AT that match, a lot of our fans were saying befoe the goal that Howard was clueless and would never win anything so much for fans knowing whats best:lol:

Just had a surreal encounter with someone who used to play football with Kevin Brock.

This is a story for anyone old enough to remember the dark days of the early eighties. Everton playing a poor brand of football, Howard Kendall's job very much on the line.

Then, in a Milk Cup game against Oxford at the old Manor Ground, Kevin Brock attempts a suicidal back pass, Adrian Heath nips in and steals it, rounds the keeper and equalises. We win the replay 4-1 and go on to the Giro Cup Final, win the FA Cup and have the best three seasons in the blues history. So Kevin Brock has a special place in Everton hearts.

So imagine my interest when my postie delivers my mail this morning to my home near Banbury. Amongst the envelopes are my tickets for the Reading game at Goodison next Saturday. Our postie is a good mate and an oxfordshire man born and bred. In his country accent, as he hands me the envelope, he says,

"Didn't know yer wuz a blueboy. Yer a regular at Goodison? Yeah? Yer go to that game at The Manor Grewnd in 83 or 84? I wuz there watching my mate Kevin Brock make a roight peg's ear of a back pass...I wuz on Arxford's books back then as 'prentice...used to run rengs rewnd Kev, Oi ded..."

30 minutes later, we're still chatting about Everton, Oxford, Jim Smith, Kassam, Goodison etc etc

Quite made my day.
I was there that night i seem to recall..my god if i'd lnow how a team could gel more or less overnight i'd have put my house on them winning the title the next season

Grand old days where getting intoa match was a couple of quid funny and happy times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back