"The next stage for Joleon is to become a leader,"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpys top lip

Player Valuation: £60m
For David Moyes, a trophy to enjoy at last. "At least somebody's brought some silverware back to Goodison," he said, reflecting on Amy Kane's goal that secured the Women's Premier League Cup at Arsenal's expense on Thursday night. Now for his own side's final push towards a Champions League place, the prospects of which will look brighter if Everton can overcome Portsmouth, six points and three places behind them, tomorrow.

Moyes is not a man to let his players stand still, which is why he is waiting on the next stage in the development of Joleon Lescott, arguably Everton's best player this season despite being often asked to leave his favoured centre-back slot for left back, but one whom Moyes suggests needs to have a fuller sense of his own worth and to assume the kind of leader's role filled by John Terry at Stamford Bridge and by Rio Ferdinand at Old Trafford.

"The next stage for Joleon is to become a leader," Moyes explained. "[He must become] someone who kicks on and commands respect. He needs to take hold and realise that he is a Premier League defender."

There was no criticism implicit in this critique from Moyes, who implied earlier this week that some have not given Lescott credit for how far he has advanced with Everton after seven years with Wolverhampton Wanderers. But Moyes has taken particular pride in the player's development under his tutelage, clearly sees him as a club captain of the future, and the step-change he speaks of may be necessary if Lescott is to reclaim the England spot he lost against Switzerland.

A player who appears already to have responded to the demanding side of his manager's nature is the Pompey old boy, Yakubu Aiyegbeni, who, since incurring the manager's wrath over his non-appearance after Africa Nations Cup duty, has scored four goals in three matches. "He was very remorseful when he was late back," Moyes said. "In any organisation, you need to turn up for work at the right time."

Though Yakubu is clearly forgiven, Moyes's analysis of the player's contribution yesterday revealed some of the shrewd man-management that has brought out a consistency Yakubu did not display at Portmouth and Middlesbrough – and which involves not letting him get too carried away with himself. "He has come back into a side which is performing well," Moyes said. "We didn't lose while he was away."

Though David James's form has been the talking point as far as Portsmouth are concerned, his opposite number at Goodison Park tomorrow, Tim Howard, will be two games away from Neville Southall's 13-year record of 15 clean sheets in a season if he keeps another one.

Mikel Arteta is a serious doubt for the game with a groin problem that has persisted for weeks but, with so many in-form players available, Moyes, whose team have not lost to one outside the so-called "big four" since October, still has grounds for confidence.

Once again another great piece from the independent. I have a funny feeling it will be Jags who gets the armband of neville. But who could argue with lescott. What a bargin,what a player.

Probably moyes's best signing?

Once again another great piece from the independent. I have a funny feeling it will be Jags who gets the armband of neville. But who could argue with lescott. What a bargin,what a player.

Probably moyes's best signing?

If you look back in the TW pages I wanted us to sign him for ages, my mates in the Midlands all raved about him. I think like you I'd prefer Jags as skipper, even on the field it is jags doing the main shouting and organising and tbh he could run Lescott for the title Moyes best buy(y)

I think Lescott will be our future captain. His consistency is the best at the club and his performances speak for themselves. He may not be the most vocal player but he is a commanding presence and both fans and players respect him. Definatly captain material in my book.

Other options are Cahill, Jagielka and Yobo. I wouldn't mind Cahill as Vice captain to be honest. Something completely different to anything we have at the club. A little nasty streak about him which would be different to Lescott's cool approach.

If you look back in the TW pages I wanted us to sign him for ages, my mates in the Midlands all raved about him. I think like you I'd prefer Jags as skipper, even on the field it is jags doing the main shouting and organising and tbh he could run Lescott for the title Moyes best buy(y)

TBH monts, he has a long way to go for that.

But theirs just somthing about the lad. Cant put my finger on it yet, He just screams captin.

In time he will become a great for us im sure. Labone-esk.

i actually had to skip past the previous posts as i hav had too many alcoholic beverages. lescott, providing he stays tru to the club will be the best in the world, if he leaves for money he will end up like the coles and terrys of this world who think they are gods gift. but the way things are planning out i would love to see him stay and continue the trend that is occurring and personally, i think, of that guy alone stays, 3rd place at least is possible. liverpool fnas are thinking what is he on bout, however i watch him week in week out and the man is immense

totally agree Roger for captain , the problem is how we get rid of the worst ever captain we have had .yes he is a good pro, but on two occasions at the Brann game i heard two approx 10 year olds one my daughter saying why does Phil Neville always pass to the other team.If they can see it why cant Moyes.I hate knocking our players but if we want to be in the big 4 we has to go. bye bye you are the weakest link.

totally agree Roger for captain , the problem is how we get rid of the worst ever captain we have had .yes he is a good pro, but on two occasions at the Brann game i heard two approx 10 year olds one my daughter saying why does Phil Neville always pass to the other team.If they can see it why cant Moyes.I hate knocking our players but if we want to be in the big 4 we has to go. bye bye you are the weakest link.

It'll happen at some point but I don't know if it'll happen quick enough for some supporters.

Like I said, I felt he was a bit hasty in making Neville captain but then I also consider the players we had at the time and the experience they had collectively. Neville wasn't an odd choice when it was made.

But times, they are a changin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back