The Pastie Rater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Proper cornish pasties. You cant beat them.

Never been drunk in Newquay. What's it like?

It was awesome.

Although i will say most of that was down to the fact my mate got the dj at the club i was in to dedeicate loads of songs to Ric Flair which elicited loads of "whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooos" from people in the club.

Othetr thaen that and their did seem to be a lot of pricks and stag doos about,m there was even a fight in the same club.

Well folks, it's that time of year again....when Greggs unveil, the one and only, the mighty ...... Festive Bake

succulent chunks of chicken, beautiful savoury sage and onion stuffing, delicious salty sweetcure bacon and a touch of red onion relish

had 2 of these bad boys earlier on today and was not dissapointed

straight out of the oven, they were indeed piping hot, but thanks to the impressive pastry lattice work on the crest, sufficient ventilation is provided that they are not rendered "hotter than the sun"

...seriously, it's a good thing these babies are only available at this time of year otherwise I, for one, would be addicted

downsides, they are now scandalously £2.30 for a pair, but I love them so much, I paid willingly.

They are up there in my top five pasties of all time.

5. Greggs Chicken Bake
4. Sayers Chilli Slice
3. Greggs Cheese and Ham Bake
2. Greggs Festive Bake (Christmas Period Only)
1. Sayers Steak Slice

Sayers have become a 'Poundbakery' by ours meaning no Steak Slices.

Has this outrageous crime been committed in anyone else's area?

Had a festive bake before - nice. Little overdone on the red onion though, and doesn't beat a Sayers Steak Slice.

7/10

No Sayers or Greggs round here. Couple of small chains of pasty shops. Oggy Oggy's being a favourite of mine.

My local pasty shop shut as well :( Some of their pasties were rather nice, it will be missed

Sayers have become a 'Poundbakery' by ours meaning no Steak Slices.

Has this outrageous crime been committed in anyone else's area?

I've tried a PB Meat and Potato it tasted the same as a sayers...

I'd imagine the Steak Slice would taste the same too.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but, the Devonshire bakery do a Cornish roll. Although it's not steak chunks it's still among the finest pastry's I have tasted. With a delicious short crust, and tasty filling the Cornish roll takes the piss out of all other rolls.
The major down side is the price coming in at a whopping £1.85.
Also Sue cowards pies in Frodsham are well worth a try.

Although it's not steak chunks it's still among the finest pastry's I have tasted. With a delicious short crust, and tasty filling the Cornish roll takes the piss out of all other rolls.

Wouldn't worry about the size of the "meat chunks" as you put it old chum. It's been a long time since any of the mainstream bakeries were packing their pastries with juicey hunks of delicious meat.

Sayers Steak Slice (my personal favourite BTW) has a filling mainly of seasoned gravy, but it gets the taste right and that's the trick with pasties. Although I myself long for the halcyon days of a pastry bake chock full of tender chicken or juicey beef, I realise the current economic climate means this is difficult nowadays, but if they can still focus their effort into a snack that's tastey and filling, but most of all has a good savoury flavour....well, that's good enough for me.

Wish they could still keep the prices low but, as we all know, the current economic situation can be a cruel mistress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back