The tale of legendary Everton manager Harry Catterick:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for Evertonians of a certain vintage,should he have won more during his tenure?

It was before my time but I think the consensus at the time was that they relatively underachieved.

They didn't turn up for the '68 Cup final, and they probably should have won the title after 1970...and got further in the '71 EC. The sale of Ball by Catterick and his own ill health appears to have killed that fantastic team off.

It was before my time but I think the consensus at the time was that they relatively underachieved.

They didn't turn up for the '68 Cup final, and they probably should have won the title after 1970...and got further in the '71 EC. The sale of Ball by Catterick and his own ill health appears to have killed that fantastic team off.
Same mate well before my time but I've gone back over this period a little bit with what's available in the history books and feels like especially with Sir John's backing at the time there should have been more pots in the cabinet.

@Joey66
the floor awaits
A ruthless Manager who realised no matter how good he was in beating clubs to sign top players - he realised it was getting pricey....
His aim was to sign youth players & scouted them himself the 1970 side had 6- 8 youth players in it from time to time...
The football was telepathic winning the title twice & the FA Cup..
..on the downside he sold players like Bobby Collins & Bally top class players & his health suffered a great team he broke up to quickly....

I am sure a certain HK as a player leant a lot from him on both sides of his style of management & how to play school of science football to be out most successful Manager ever on the basis of playing under the Catt!

Should have won more ... we could have attracted the best. I think Moores held pretty tight purse strings, aiming to only pay out what the crowd income allowed ... and if lending was necessary, could later recover.

Paranoid, lousy communicator and part of the defining act of the late 60's with the selling of Bally.

But, @Joey66 is right: Kendall clearly learned a lot from him: what not to do.

Built the best Everton team I witnessed .
In fact he built a few good Everton sides in the 60’s.
Suffered unfairly by comparison to the mouthy gob,,,,,,, and media darling across the park.
Wasn’t afraid to make unpopular decisions.
Was undermined by the building of the awful main stand which restricted his abilities in the transfer market at an important period for the club.
Top manager , Everton great .

Question for Evertonians of a certain vintage,should he have won more during his tenure?

Should have at least made the European Cup Final in 1971.

As it was we lost to Greece’s Panathinaikos in the quarter final when everyone thought we would have beaten them.

If we had have beaten them it was Red Star Belgrade in the semis.

Then a final in which our Holy Trinity would have pitted their wits against the Ajax of Cruyff and Neeskens.

But alas, as with everything with EFC, promise was unfulfilled and Harry’s last great team broke up shortly afterwards.

He should have aso won another F.A.Cup versus Baggies in 1968.

Whenever they talk about the First Division managers of the sixties he hardly gets a mention
It's all about shankley Nicholson & Busby

And Joe Mercer as well.

There is a reason for that.

Unlike those others, Harry was a famously taciturn fellow who had little time for the gentlemen of the press.

And he actually banned TV crews from filming at Bellefield just as TV and football were starting their long lasting love affair.

….i always thought it was some achievement to build two seperate title winning teams in ‘63 and ‘70. The ‘70 was arguably the greatest I’ve seen but I thought he felt he then had to almost start again after falling short in 1971.

Selling Alan Ball a prime example thinking it was great business selling him for lots more than we paid but he still had so much to offer. More a disciplinarian than a ‘man manager’, he only put a tracksuit on when the cameras were about and rarely left his office.

Without doubt a great manager but I felt it could have been so much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back