The two holding players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Wayne

Player Valuation: £100m
I've noticed a few times that whenever we seem to play with Neville and Carsley in midfield that neither of them get onto any loose balls or knockdowns.

Today for instance Wigan played long ball after long ball and there were a lot of knock downs into their area of the pitch and they were nearly always second best. It seems at times that they both mark areas of the pitch, and they're often the wrong areas :D

I guess with five in midfield I would have expected to control that area of the pitch much more than we did. It wasn't just me was it?

Bruce, there was acres of space in midfield that neither Carsley or Neville moved into. Your right, and I have been saying this all day. Carsley marks space, he never marks a player.

I honestly believe that its dangerous to not close down, and Cars and Neville didn't do that today, against Chelsea we may as well kiss the game goodbye if we don't close down the space.

Bruce i wrote this in the match thread this was my reasoning on the poor central midfeild display:

That was the type of win today that gets you into Europe. Really we couldnt have complained if had finished a draw but with the condidtions and the pitch i think it was a professional if not fortunate performance. If we had played another team outside the bottom five we would have struggled a little more. Wigan just dont have the Quality. Lescott and Osman were my man of the matches, Arteta played well today too. Our big players made the difference today and thats why you pay big money for the likes of Johnson and Lescott. There are a few players of form at the moment. People know im not a huge fan of Howard but i really hope his run of incosistent form ends soon, his confidence is low and its leading to hesitation, while i think his distribution could improve too. Carsley and Nevile both looked tired today but having said that i thnk Wigans tactics were spot on.

Credit to Wigan they showd a lot of desire and for a bit more quality and cutting edge could have got something out of the game. I think Bruce got his tactics spot on. They bypassed our midfeild five every chance they got. Either by playing balls over their heads or playing through the flanks. This essentially made Neville and Cars ineffective as a defensive sheild and as a result neither had a particularly outstanding game.

I think Lanzat did a great job marking Cahill out of the game too. I think Bruce pinpointed Jags not being particularly comfortable with defending high long balls into the box as a weakness and set up some of their attacking game to try and captilise on this weakness, though for me jags did well.

Again i think he pinpointed Hibbo and Valente as a possible weakness to exploit and make chances. Hence they used thier wingers to attack them which proved to thier best way best of making chances. As most of the danger came form the flanks iit again nulfied Cars and Neville in the centre and the game really passed the centre midfeild trio by. Credit to us though we stuck at it and our quality saw us through.

Moyesey got it right bringing on Vaghan and pushing Cahill back as i say because lanzaat marked him out of the game and with wigan useing the flanks and longballs to bypass central midfeild there was no need for to defesive midfielders which Moyesy clocked onto.

Good away win in difficult circmstances but for me it could have been a draw, but we were more clinical and had more quality then Wigan which eventually saw us through.

Bruce i wrote this in the match thread this was my reasoning on the poor central midfeild display:

That was the type of win today that gets you into Europe. Really we couldnt have complained if had finished a draw but with the condidtions and the pitch i think it was a professional if not fortunate performance. If we had played another team outside the bottom five we would have struggled a little more. Wigan just dont have the Quality. Lescott and Osman were my man of the matches, Arteta played well today too. Our big players made the difference today and thats why you pay big money for the likes of Johnson and Lescott. There are a few players of form at the moment. People know im not a huge fan of Howard but i really hope his run of incosistent form ends soon, his confidence is low and its leading to hesitation, while i think his distribution could improve too. Carsley and Nevile both looked tired today but having said that i thnk Wigans tactics were spot on.

Credit to Wigan they showd a lot of desire and for a bit more quality and cutting edge could have got something out of the game. I think Bruce got his tactics spot on. They bypassed our midfeild five every chance they got. Either by playing balls over their heads or playing through the flanks. This essentially made Neville and Cars ineffective as a defensive sheild and as a result neither had a particularly outstanding game.

I think Lanzat did a great job marking Cahill out of the game too. I think Bruce pinpointed Jags not being particularly comfortable with defending high long balls into the box as a weakness and set up some of their attacking game to try and captilise on this weakness, though for me jags did well.

Again i think he pinpointed Hibbo and Valente as a possible weakness to exploit and make chances. Hence they used thier wingers to attack them which proved to thier best way best of making chances. As most of the danger came form the flanks iit again nulfied Cars and Neville in the centre and the game really passed the centre midfeild trio by. Credit to us though we stuck at it and our quality saw us through.

Moyesey got it right bringing on Vaghan and pushing Cahill back as i say because lanzaat marked him out of the game and with wigan useing the flanks and longballs to bypass central midfeild there was no need for to defesive midfielders which Moyesy clocked onto.

Good away win in difficult circmstances but for me it could have been a draw, but we were more clinical and had more quality then Wigan which eventually saw us through.

I agree, Bruce got the tactics right and did try to rip us up down the flanks but the full backs both did what was required. The midfield of Neville and Carsley doesnt inspire me one bit. Cars is usually very solid but apart from a few good headers, he was well below par today.
We won't play like this on Wednesday, we simply won't.

I agree, Bruce got the tactics right and did try to rip us up down the flanks but the full backs both did what was required. The midfield of Neville and Carsley doesnt inspire me one bit. Cars is usually very solid but apart from a few good headers, he was well below par today.
We won't play like this on Wednesday, we simply won't.

Well we can't can we. I would like to see Cars getting tighter to attackers. He gave away too much space today.

I dont like Carsley and Neville playing together in midfield - the only time it serves any purpose is at places like Old Trafford wher you know youre going to be under the Cosh all game.

I dont like Carsley and Neville playing together in midfield - the only time it serves any purpose is at places like Old Trafford wher you know youre going to be under the Cosh all game.

But do you not think that by playing 6 defenders it invites pressure? I'm with Keegan on this, if you attack then you are not defending.

It's quite a common system on the continent. Four in defence, two holding midfielders and the rest given license to attack. I think you need better attacking full backs than we have for it to work effectively though.

It's quite a common system on the continent. Four in defence, two holding midfielders and the rest given license to attack. I think you need better attacking full backs than we have for it to work effectively though.

At least we have '10 goals a season' Lescott...

Neville shouldn't be in midfield to start off with. Not much speed and its not his strength. But we may be hampered by number selection at the moment which is forcing Davey's hand. I thought the midfield yesterday was lacking a great deal. We seem to resort to the hoofing the ball up the field for Johnson to run his socks off hoping for the pitch to create chances one on one with defenders like the Bramble snafu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back